Grime, any recommendations
Jun 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 14
I don't listen to grime but search "Hayworth" on myspace music. I know one of the guitarists. Download "I Hope The Thunder And Lightning Kill You". Idk anything about this genre but hey...free music...

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 14
biggrin.gif
You get an A for effort biologica.

Have you ever lurked dubstepforum.com :: Index? I bet there might be some leads there after a few good searches. It cover more than DS like Hip Hop, Grime, Garage etc.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 14
thanks bro
biggrin.gif

am checking out that forum right now. the events US east subforum at least is pretty cool, people posting whenever a solid DJ is playing.

also found grimeforum.com in my searching.... seems good too.
the slang they all use is funny. they talk like a grime crew not like audiophiles, wonder why that is!

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 14
Which begs the question, what exactly is grime? Okay, I got off my butt and Wiki'd it:

Grime music is typified by complex 2-step breakbeats, generally around 140 beats per minute and constructed from "different" sounds.[1]UK Garage, dancehall and hip hop.[2] The lyrics and music combine futuristic electronic elements and dark, guttural bass lines.

Okay, that works for me.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 14
Grime is a genre of urban music which first emerged in East London, England in the early 2000s!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: oops, you beat me to wikipedia. on grimeforum saw guys talking about how certain new artists self identifying as grime are really just hip hop with grime vocals.... need to figure out what this means exactly.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 14
ok been checking out a lot of artists past day or so

Wiley, Fuda Guy, Tinchy Stryder, Sway, Ghetto, JME, Kano.

Wiley seems like one of the best so far. Need to give all this stuff more time to digest of course. Really like Fuda Guy and Rapid from Ruff Sqwad though it's hard to find more of their stuff.

this ruff sqwad freestyle is sick (merkage)
YouTube - Westwood - Ruff Sqwad freestyle 1Xtra

anyone know what the beat is at 9:30?

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 14
a few days later,

ruff sqwad and wiley are my favorites so far, and Sway is becoming one too. Really like the more gravelly fast rap style they use compared to Kano or JME who both have smoother flow. JME album Famous is still sick though, the bleep blip production he does is awesome.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Glad to see a plug for Sway, but yeah, Wiley is about as good as it gets. And even though I know mentioning Dizzee Rascal seems kinda obvious, one could do a lot worse.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 14
Dizzee's made some great tunes!

Some seem to like Lethal Bizzle, but all he seems to say is POW? Skepta seems quite popular and plastic man?

Not that into it my self, think I prefer some of the old school UK garage.

Dubbledge made quite a funny grime song to show how simple grime is,
good video too.

YouTube - Lips 2 Da Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back