Greetings from a newb to audio, I'm starting my first computer based setup, so I would like some suggestions on my initial idea
Feb 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Panopliavoodoo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am new here and I have this request here of your opinion if you will.

Background (skip if you don't think checking on what I have used so far is needed to provide an answer): I live in an isolated area, so there are no hi-fi shops arround for me to go check the equipment myself, hence I'm going very blind towards a "hunch" based off in reviews by sites such as this one. Considering this fact I have an ample margin of time before I make my purchase, so it may happen that I do actually have a chance to try them out should I travel but this is not going to be very plausible.

The only decent headphones I've ever tried have been some AKG K-242 HD, should there be a difference I will mention that they are made in China and not in Austria, they didn't wow me.
The only AMP I've ever tried has been the onboard AMP that comes with the cheapest Xonar cards, this however wowed me.

I guess this is all the info required to have an idea of my audio experiences so far, musical interests are, mainly, Queen and Hendrix.

What I had in mind:

I am choosing between two Grados.

-SR325is

-SR225i

Given how everybody seems to favor 225i models, I am mostly inclined towards these, but would like to be talked into the other ones aswell, were they better for my musical tastes in the opinion of somebody with similar interests.

My main problem is the AMP: 

I really would appreciate it if I could afford it soon, so I want my first one to be cheap, but not bad, you know what headphones will I be using, so don't worry about what it has to power.

I am considering the following:

-Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2

Very unsure about this one, yet it looks interesting, it has good reviews as a DAC, but will it be a good amp also?

-Fiio E07k Andes

Again, very unsure. But it is the FiiO I'm liking more.

I'm open to suggestions, but the catalog I can buy from here will be limited.

Thanks in advance, I hope I haven't forgotten a thing.

Edited, FiiO model

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 3
The only decent headphones I've ever tried have been some AKG K-242 HD, should there be a difference I will mention that they are made in China and not in Austria, they didn't wow me. The only AMP I've ever tried has been the on-board AMP that comes with the cheapest Xonar cards, this however wowed me.

I own the AKG K242HD headphones (China), I think they are fairly decent.
Which model Xonar card do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back