Green Day appreciation/review thread
Jun 7, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #61 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
That's kind of a silly comment. What's the difference between practice and musicianship? Practice makes perfect. Most great musicians are great because they PRACTICED a lot. QED.

The Beatles' songs are incredibly simple many times, but they are loved by millions. Simplicity has nothing to do with how good they are technically, and how enjyoable their music is. Sometimes the best musicians make simplistic music because sometimes simple music just sounds better. Is such elitism really necessary? Your arguement is equivalent to saying that classical music is better than every other genre.
rolleyes.gif

Are you a musician? If you were, I think you would understand my perspective. Practice does make perfect, however, there is a big difference between Green Day practicing songs over and over again so that they can perform them flawlessly and musicians who are professional at any time and in any situation. The kind of perfection I am talking about has to do with virtuosity and artistry, not mere repetition.

I'm not saying that good music has to be complicated, however, listening to music that is very simplistic gets boring to most musicians. It isn't elitism, it is just the truth. If you don't undestand that, great... ignorance is bliss.

Your conclusion that I must think classical music is better than every other genre is really missing the point. I didn't say that music is judged on technical aspects alone. All I said is that Green Day's music is missing the more subtle aspects reflected in great musicianship.

I didn't say Green Day doesn't make good music. All I did was comment on their musicianship, which is very mediocre. I know you love Green Day, but no need to take it so personally... unless you LOVE them.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
(except American country music and 99.9% of rap) but I can't like it.

99.9% seems pretty high.

also "can't" is a logical fallacy. You can do anything you choose.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
The Beatles were innovators and better musicians than Greenday. The Beatles have a synergy that Greenday will never have. And they had good singing voices. All of them.

Have you even read the thread about the Beatles? This statement by you is patently false. The Beatles are a lot of fun to listen to, but at the beginning they were poppy just like Green Day. They are (were) also quite simplistic at times.

Quote:

the "accent" he has is just beyond tasteless.

it's called expression. Or haven't you learned that word yet?

Quote:

The music is sophmoric

so? Does everything in this world have to be Holier Than Thou? what's wrong with having a little bit of fun now and then?

Quote:

and their latest album is a cheap way to target a VERY large mainstream audience.

rolleyes.gif

Perhaps from a "objective and technical" standpoint (whatever that means) their drummer is not good. BUT AS IVE SAID BEFORE, he can go fast, he is quite tight, and he makes me wanna rock out. I ask you again, which you continue to refuse to answer: what more, really, does a drummer need? Your inability to answer DIRECT questions is infuriating and incredibly juvenile. Most civilized adults can answer questions in a debate, instead of simply repeating their fire-and-brimstone beliefs ad naseum whilst ignoring the opposing viewpoint.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Are you a musician? If you were, I think you would understand my perspective. Practice does make perfect, however, there is a big difference between Green Day practicing songs over and over again so that they can perform them flawlessly and musicians who are professional at any time and in any situation. The kind of perfection I am talking about has to do with virtuosity and artistry, not mere repetition.

Please. I am a drummer. (although i'm sure in your mind that's not a "real" musician
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
)

have you really seen Green Day live enough to prove that they are what you claim? or are you just assuming.

Quote:

I'm not saying that good music has to be complicated, however, listening to music that is very simplistic gets boring to most musicians. It isn't elitism, it is just the truth. If you don't undestand that, great... ignorance is bliss.

do you have any idea how arrogant and egotistical this sounds?

Quote:

Your conclusion that I must think classical music is better than every other genre is really missing the point. I didn't say that music is judged on technical aspects alone. All I said is that Green Day's music is missing the more subtle aspects reflected in great musicianship.

and my point was that music doesn't have to be created by great musicians to be enjoyable.

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #65 of 76
Quote:

99.9% seems pretty high.

also "can't" is a logical fallacy. You can do anything you choose.

ok it is clear you are out of arguments as you are now attacking my writing skills. I think you very well know what I meant
rolleyes.gif

99.9% of something is often used as a figure of speech, but obviously that flew right over your head.

you are the one who wanted the green day reviews! If you only wanted to hear good reviews, maybe you should have indicated that in the subject by calling it just "green day appreciation".

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #66 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102
ok it is clear you are out of arguments as you are now attacking my writing skills. I think you very well know what I meant
rolleyes.gif

99.9% of something is often used as a figure of speech, but obviously that flew right over your head.

actually no, if you typed 99.9% i assume you meant 99.9%
tongue.gif
i didn't realize that was a figure of speech. kinda stupid one if you ask me.
blink.gif

regardless, that doesn't matter. my point is that there's lots of amazing rap, far above 1, 5, or even 10%. no wonder you guys don't understand my perspective. for you all, groovy beats are too plebian.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Please. I am a drummer. (although i'm sure in your mind that's not a "real" musician
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
)

have you really seen Green Day live enough to prove that they are what you claim? or are you just assuming.

do you have any idea how arrogant and egotistical this sounds?

and my point was that music doesn't have to be created by great musicians to be enjoyable.

I have the greatest respect for drummers and enjoy a great drummer as much as any other musician... I'll listen to anything with Dennis Chambers.

I have seen Green Day live once, many years ago at Berkeley. I have seen them quite a few times performing live on TV... and enjoyed watching them. I don't need multiple experiences watching them live to be able to comment on their musicianship. They are an energetic band that puts on a great live show for their fans. Nevertheless they aren't exactly breaking any barriers whent comes to musicianship. That's not to say they aren't making good music. I'm not sure why you find that to be offensive.

Egotistical? I'm not the sensitive type, so I'll worry about perceptions some other time.

I agree that music doesn't have to be created by great musicians to be enjoyable. I just happen to enjoy great musicianship, although never at the expense of great music.

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #68 of 76
Easy guys, Green Day isnt good or bad enough to warrant such a heated and long topic. Some like em, some don't. Why do you have to make a big deal out of it?

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #69 of 76
... they've kinda lost me with their current stuff, but i love the first 2 Green Day albums "39/Smooth" and "Kerplunk!" (both of which have strangely not been mentioned even though this discussion has hit 4 pages hahaha).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
2) Lack of guitar solos.... I'm guessing the guitar player lacks the talent to do a proper guitar solo, so they just don't have one.

i don't know what constitutes a 'proper' guitar solo, but Billie Joe Armstrong pretty much solo-ed his heart out on almost every song on those 2 albums. and then they mysteriously cut all of that out when they broke in '94 with Dookie, and seem to have continued down that path ever since ... beats the hell outta me too.
confused.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #73 of 76
Greenday is punk inspired pop. It's supposed to be simple and catchy--that's the point. Great musical skills aren't necessarily required. Personally I love them--they have a gift for making fun, catchy and yes, inspired music (within punk-pop constructs). Take their material for what it is folks, and enjoy it.

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #74 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatl£Maniac
Has anyone seen their new video? It makes me want to puke until i die, its so disgustingly sentimental, unsubtle and stupid urghhh got that off my chest.

lol. i dunno why but this made me laugh a lot
biggrin.gif

Ah well, i've b1tched and moaned till i'm blue in the face in this thread, so I think i'm done being pissed off. I've explained myself enough times that i'm sure people understand my beliefs now
wink.gif

Quote:

... they've kinda lost me with their current stuff, but i love the first 2 Green Day albums "39/Smooth" and "Kerplunk!" (both of which have strangely not been mentioned even though this discussion has hit 4 pages hahaha).

it is ironic. i've never heard those albums.
frown.gif
Heard OF them, just not actually listened to them. So i take it that they are pretty sweet listens? I love guitar wanking as much as the next guy (hell i love DT and symphony X
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
) so maybe i should pick up these albums!!

thanks for the (indirect) suggestion

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #75 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
Greenday is punk inspired pop. It's supposed to be simple and catchy--that's the point. Great musical skills aren't necessarily required. Personally I love them--they have a gift for making fun, catchy and yes, inspired music (within punk-pop constructs). Take their material for what it is folks, and enjoy it.

Exactly what i've been trying to say. But said with so much more grace and dignity. Damn you
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back