Green Day appreciation/review thread
Jun 5, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Ah...you can't generalize...don't ask me for examples now though.
tongue.gif

I'd very much like to be proven wrong.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #32 of 76
Well I like Otep, Mudvayne, and yea I do like some Slipknot...sue me! Even
though it feels weird how every 11 year old wears a tshirt of them...

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
wow, you post a well-thought-out multiparagraph thing about The Beatles, yet can apparently sum up this band in a sentence. What glorious close-mindedness you have.

Sorry mate,

That was unfounded calling them a bunch of wankers. thing is, there is a guy 2 houses from mine who really annoys me with his bad drumming and his attitude.. every time I see the bloke on the street I feel like kicking seven barrels of **** out of him. He always wears this stooopid looking hat with "Green Day" plastered all over it so I automatically associate this dipstick with the name "Green Day"

Truth is, I've never heard them and shouldn't have commented on them in such a negative way but when I saw this post and the name "Green Day" I had the unpleasant vision of my neighbour wearing that hat and thought "If that tosser listens to them then they must be way bad"

My apologies, I'll make sure I buy one of their albums and hopefully come back with something a little more constructive after listening to them and won't in future comment on bands with nothing more to go on than my neighbours hat
eek.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #34 of 76
They are fun to listen to ocassionally, and probably one of the very best groups in the American pop/punk genre.

I grow tired of them pretty quick because music is pretty basic and limited in scope, but I keep a few of thier better albums in my collection.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #35 of 76
I have to pretty strongly disagree with people who say they are untalented musicians, I'm amazed that someone singled out the drummer (who's incredible) for particular scorn. Listen to how complex and diverse the album American Idiot is, if you doubt this. This is one amazingly TIGHT band with chops to spare. I've seen them live twice, and they are the real deal, they put on a fantastic show.

As for attacking their use of politics in their songs, I guess that person also hates Dylan, the Clash, The Beatles, Neil Young, and everyone else who occasionally addresses topical issues. Like to see you make that arguiment.
rolleyes.gif

Green Day aren't "punk" IMO, although they grew out of the Bay Area scene. They are what they are, which is an *outstanding* pop music group. Certain "indie-er-than-thou" or "punk-er-than-thou" types (the usual suspects) will always bash a band like Green Day. Oh well. No, they aren't Fugazi, they're just a fun band with some really great songs. Deal with it.
orphsmile.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
how complex and diverse the album American Idiot

you really find American Idiot complex and diverse ?
you are pushing me re-listening it now

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #37 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I've heard Dookie, Nimrod, and American Idiot - and didn't care for any of them. And now, because of the latter, I don't like them at all. It's SO lame to use the young and liberal population to sell a popular album.

Not a political record? Give me a break! It despises capitalism ("Boulevard of Broken Dreams") and it makes fun of the "mainstream-media" following teenagers who FUEL captitalism ("Holiday"). The opening few seconds in the video for "Holiday" is a bunch of fighter jets dropping bombs (the war on terror). The title track also speaks about mainstream-media-followers.

It's a story of growing up. There are some political componants, but how is bashing the "mainstream-media," as you put, liberal? Isn't that precisely what conservatives do? The title track is now a liberal fight song -- it's about people who don't think for themselves and how all of the information being distributed (I'd say though cable and the internet) is dominating our lives. So, you'll have to explain to me how this is "liberal"?

Boulevard of Broken Dreams, despising capitalism? I can’t really find that in the lyrics, which are about someone feeling isolated – alone.

Holiday is the most politically oriented song on the album, but I think you have to look at it in the context of the album, which is a narrative about the lead character’s life,

If you don't like the album, that's fine. But I don't think it should be dismissed as "liberal" garbage.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
hey ... you really find American Idiot complex and diverse ?
you are pushing me re-listening it now

It really is, give it a few listens. I think it is both musically and lyrically complex. There are even two "prog-length" (
smily_headphones1.gif
) songs -- Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming that I find particularly good (especially Homecoming).

Jun 5, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Very very under-rated.

How can you say that? Ever since that American Idiot album everyone has been freaking out about how "Green Day is back!" and "Green Day is the best band ever!" That's not underrated. That's overhyped.

Jun 5, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #40 of 76
Hello? I think this very thread goes to show precisely how little respect they get.
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by mAsh
They are the same as any other new punk/numetal band.

Untalented. A waste of listening time.

For the last time, Green Day is not Punk and not Nu-Metal either
rolleyes.gif

Geez.

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

I have to pretty strongly disagree with people who say they are untalented musicians, I'm amazed that someone singled out the drummer (who's incredible) for particular scorn. Listen to how complex and diverse the album American Idiot is, if you doubt this. This is one amazingly TIGHT band with chops to spare. I've seen them live twice, and they are the real deal, they put on a fantastic show.

As for attacking their use of politics in their songs, I guess that person also hates Dylan, the Clash, The Beatles, Neil Young, and everyone else who occasionally addresses topical issues. Like to see you make that arguiment.
rolleyes.gif

Green Day aren't "punk" IMO, although they grew out of the Bay Area scene. They are what they are, which is an *outstanding* pop music group. Certain "indie-er-than-thou" or "punk-er-than-thou" types (the usual suspects) will always bash a band like Green Day. Oh well. No, they aren't Fugazi, they're just a fun band with some really great songs. Deal with it.
orphsmile.gif

Yeah my point exactly. But no one listens to me because i'm crazy
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back