Green Day appreciation/review thread
Jun 5, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 76
I should probably mention that I haven't listened to American Idiot in depth yet. I want to though, I like that track more everytime I hear it.

As to all you whiners... grow up.
rolleyes.gif
SOAD has lame politics too, EVERYONE with a brain is Anti-Bush, not just Green Day....etc. you dig? your complaints are invalid
tongue.gif

EDIT: See I told you hating Green Day was FOTM
rolleyes.gif
And you people call yourself audiophiles. I have yet to meet someone with as broad musical taste as me. Sheesh. I knew I was making waves when I created this thread, that was half my intention, but I didn't think the responses themselves would be so juvenile.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 76
It isn't? I always thought it was. Damned be I.

EDIT: Oh and being anti-bush is pointless, he's only a puppet, anyone would do.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
It isn't? I always thought it was. Damned be I.

what isnt?
confused.gif

Quote:

EDIT: Oh and being anti-bush is pointless, he's only a puppet, anyone would do.

rolleyes.gif
So you sit around and let him (errr, Cheney rather) pound you then? I'll bring the KY.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #19 of 76
If I may be so bold.....

I think the problem with "audiophiles" is sometimes we let our intellects get ahead of ourselves.

So instead of enjoying the great emotion of the song (which is what music is about), we get angry at the politics the song represents.

Or, instead of saying "Hey this is a catchy beat and funky lyrics, groovy" we say "Oh, it's not technically challenging enough and they can't play real instruments"

Bullocks to all that. Enjoy yourself and TRY to enjoy the music. TRY.

I get the feeling that people with a narrow taste in music just don't try. And it doesn't stop there, it spills into other areas of their lives... they don't try to embrace live and all it's various spigots of interest flavour... they find the ones they like and stick to them.

Well maybe i'm just nuts, but IMHO eating only 3 of the 40-some flavours of Jelly Bellies all your life is really lame. I feel that's what many audiophiles (heck even normal people too...) do with regards to music. Find a couple genres and don't try to open their minds to anything else.

It's very aggrivating.

I swear, next time I see someone switching radio stations every 3 seconds constantly saying "I hate this song" i'm going to punch their mouth.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
what isnt?
confused.gif

rolleyes.gif
So you sit around and let him (errr, Cheney rather) pound you then? I'll bring the KY.

Isn't Punk, I considered it that, don't know why.

I can't waste my world domination tour 2005 tickets now can I?

EDIT: Oh it's not that I don't like it only because of the texts, I don't like his
voice. Sheer preference.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Isn't Punk, I considered it that, don't know why.

I can't waste my world domination tour 2005 tickets now can I?

i always considered it pop-rock. punk has a different flavour to it. Green Day has a slightly Punk-influenced sound, but it's not in that Genre.

Do what you will with your tickets. Give them to me, and I can scalp them for lunch money. w00t.
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
EDIT: Oh it's not that I don't like it only because of the texts, I don't like his
voice. Sheer preference.

preference or choice? I used to hate metal. Now I listen to it all the time.
etysmile.gif

I hated Train Of Thought first time I heard it, I thought it was the worst Dream Theater album ever simply because of his singing.

Now it's one of my top 10.

*shrug*

Choice and preference....?? you decide what to like, really.

Jun 5, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #23 of 76
Let's not get this thread locked.
biggrin.gif

Back to Green Day...

I can understand criticism of the band for lack of musicianship based on their earlier work, but I really think they've grown a bit. American Idiot is fairly complex musically and lyrically. I truly think it shows tremendous growth from, say, Dookie.

Jun 5, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #24 of 76
Quote:

Well maybe i'm just nuts, but IMHO eating only 3 of the 40-some flavours of Jelly Bellies all your life is really lame. I feel that's what many audiophiles (heck even normal people too...) do with regards to music. Find a couple genres and don't try to open their minds to anything else.

We've already established that you're nuts.

If I actually have an OPINION on Greenday, I have already opened myself up to their music, have I not? The results I heard were not pleasing at all, so I obviously don't need to hear any more Greenday. I've heard Dookie, Nimrod, and American Idiot - and didn't care for any of them. And now, because of the latter, I don't like them at all. It's SO lame to use the young and liberal population to sell a popular album.

Not a political record? Give me a break! It despises capitalism ("Boulevard of Broken Dreams") and it makes fun of the "mainstream-media" following teenagers who FUEL captitalism ("Holiday"). The opening few seconds in the video for "Holiday" is a bunch of fighter jets dropping bombs (the war on terror). The title track also speaks about mainstream-media-followers.

I can't see how this isn't political - look at the title of the album!

EDIT:

Musicality? Their drummer sucks, that's for sure. Lyrics? Quote:

Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia.

Childish, poetically-dumb, and, worst of all, not flowing. Oh yeah, and this also speaks about how it's so political.

Quote:

Bang bang goes the broken glass and
Kill all the fags that don't agree
Trials by fire, setting fire
Is not a way that's meant for me
Just cause, just cause, because we're outlaws yeah!

Terrible texturing - oh yeah, and this also speaks about how it's so political.

Quote:

Read between the lines
What's ****ed up and everything's alright
Check my vital signs
To know I'm still alive and I walk alone

UGH!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #25 of 76
Quote:

EVERYONE with a brain is Anti-Bush

I think I'll take offense to that...
mad.gif

...but then I guess people without a brain can never understand that there are two sides to every story so I'll forgive you for not understanding in this case...
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

Seriously though, Green Day is a great band! Politics or no politics, they're just expressing themselves through their music, you don't have to agree with them to enjoy the music.

P.S.

Sduibek, if you haven't already figured it out, I'm not mad at you and I really didn't take any offense to your comment.
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #27 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
We've already established that you're nuts.

Thanks for reminding me.
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Quote:

Musicality? Their drummer sucks, that's for sure.

Based on what objective critiquing skills? I find their drummer to be (as mentioned earlier) tight and good at making you wanna move to the music. What more does one need? He can also go pretty fast and do decently complex stuff. He's no drummer from Tool, but so what? No one said Green Day was mandated to spit out Prog Rock Magnum Opus work
rolleyes.gif

I'll not comment on the rest of your post. Suffice to say you are a very angry person
eek.gif

But I like your music anyway
wink.gif
Post more stuff in that AliensInCars thread, bro.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #30 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by mAsh
They are the same as any other new punk/numetal band.

Untalented. A waste of listening time.

Ah...you can't generalize...don't ask me for examples now though.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back