Green Day appreciation/review thread
Jun 4, 2005 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]Since it seems to be the FOTM around here to hate Green Day sometimes, I thought it my duty to proclaim loudly and proudly that i've enjoyed this band ever since middle school, when I listened to their albums everyday
tongue.gif
[/size][size=small] (Along with Presidents of the USA, Jars of Clay, Deftones, and Soundgarden)
[/size]

---

One thing no one ever seems to mention about Green Day is the drummer... listen to the album Dookie (cool cover-art BTW!) and tell me that drumming isn't rocking, not to mention tight. (Tight in the musical sense, not the gangster definition of the word
tongue.gif
) He is perfectly on-beat and makes you wanna dance around. What more could you hope for from rock drumming?
confused.gif

Most songs on that album will always be classic feel-good poppy rock songs, IMO. If I named my "favorites" it would be 75% of the album
tongue.gif
You just can't help but feel happy listening to them, and want to get up and dance everytime you pop in this CD! I can't see myself setting aside this CD anytime soon. And i'm 20, it's not like i'm in Middle School anymore
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

The end of "Burnout" (track 1, i believe) is a great example of their drummer rocking out, BTW.

Awesome album; classic angst-ridden dance-able teeniebopper rock-pop.
etysmile.gif
Pretty much the best you can get for what it's goal is.

---

Their next studio release, "Insomniac", is more of the same, more or less. Slightly less "rocking" as the last one IMHO, seems more melodic-based. Which is cool; that means they're leaning more towards "real song-writing" instead of poppy stuff.

On the technical side of things, the musicianship has seemed to increase a bit as they age and practice. (As we should hope, right? lol
tongue.gif
)

If Dookie is their "dance around with a goofy grin" album, this is the "sing along when feeling lonely" album. heh. Something like that. Not exactly my cup of tea many times, but by no means a waste of an album. I just don't really listen to sad music much anymore, and to my ears this whole album has sort of a sad tone to it.

Though of course, certain tracks such as Brain Stew (track 10) and Walking Contradiction (track 14) will always be classics.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also like tracks 4, 6, 8, 11, and 13. The "jam" in the beginning of track 8 is really cool
biggrin.gif

Tracks 9 and 11-13 (the latter especially) are the only ones that really remind me of Dookie. I find that appealing, because it's annoying when bands' albums all mesh together with a similar signature sound. I suppose they wanted to finish the album on a more upbeat poppy note after all those depressing lyrics in the earlier tracks
tongue.gif

---

Moving along to the next studio album, Nimrod.

This album starts out depressed like Insomniac, but with the energy of Dookie. First lyric is "nice guys finish last"
biggrin.gif
But the riffs and drums are pretty upbeat. Fun stuff.

Right away I feel a more mature band when listening to this album. In the way he sings and the general "mood" of the band, I get the impression that they've gotten old enough to get some perspective on things, and this album is sort of a look back and reflection on all that.

Violin comes in on track 2, which is a nice surprise. What, STRING instruments in a poppy rock band?!??! OH NOES!
tongue.gif
...anyways, Hitchin a Ride (aka Track 2) is fun because it shows their new skills at (gasp!) making songs with complex layering. With their increased maturity, or musicianship, or mixing skillz, or whatever.

Track 3 has a pretty cool guitar solo.. reminds me of those surfer bands, lol. Lyrics on this one are catchy and really amusing
tongue.gif

Track 4 is kind of a ballad. Cool if you're into that mushy stuff
wink.gif
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Ah screw it. I could go down the list, but suffice it to say that I pretty much love every song on this album.
rolleyes.gif

I consider it an evolution in Green Day-dom, because they have become so diverse comparitively. In contrast to past albums, they are trying out different style, mediums, instruments, etc. It's really cool to see them grow, and fun to listen to of course.

The lyrics in songs past were ignorable by me sometimes, because i'm a rhythm-based guy to begin with... I pay attention to the emotion in the vocals, but normally ignore the words themselves. But in Nimrod, the lyrics are so catchy I usually find myself really listening to the words. The fact that it's a good recording probably doesn't hurt either. Clarity is good when trying to sing along.
wink.gif

They still have their same basic genre, which I would call "pop-rock", but looking back to the Dookie days, they have really come into their own. Cool.
cool.gif

EDIT: With the other albums, I find myself going "come on come on get to the good tracks" sometimes. But with Nimrod I can just sit back and listen without feeling like it's lacking something
cool.gif

EDIT2: Track 10 is a fantasticly mellow instrumental. Yummy.

---

Comments, suggestions, feedback welcomed. Green Day rules and you know it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

peace

Jun 4, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 76
I totally agree with you!

Green Day ROCKS
and the Presidents are back on the ROCKING front. ( I saw them live recently yeah! )

I like it all

Jun 4, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 76
I don't like Green Day at all. Especially the most recent album, even though I do
like punk bands like the ramones, murderdolls, and die ärzte.

Jun 4, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 76
Greenday is tollerable.

I think that they did an okay job if it werent' for the really awful singing, but now I have a retched hatred for this group for their latest, really immature album, entitled "American Idiot".

I thought that Nimrod was their best record, but even that isn't spectacular at all. I have absolutely no respect for the band anymore, so it doesn't really matter what I think.

EDIT: Underated you say! Wow, considering that they are getting SO much hype from everywhere, and considering that they are getting huge amounts of radio and video playtime, I would hardly say underated. OVERATED is a much better word for it
wink.gif

People say that Greenday's "innovation" is incredible - the fact that they have two tracks that "MEND TOGETHER INTO ONE SONG IS SO COOL!" one Greenday fan told me. I informed him on how Pink Floyd had done this thirty years ago. When he told me that they were also making a movie to the album - I informed him about how Pink Floyd did that almost 25 years ago too.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 76
I was actually listening to Dookie as I read through this thread! I've always enjoyed Green Day during the Dookie years, and they put on an excellent live show. No B.S., just rocking out on the stage like it should be! However, I think they started going downhill since Dookie.

At least they don't sound like the band Pink Floyd, those no-talent wankers.

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
if it werent' for the really awful singing, but now I have a retched hatred for this group for their latest, really immature album, entitled "American Idiot".

I could not agree more. But I guess they weren't the only one riding the
anti-bush wave to be successful. Didn't they win a grammy too?

It is a bit sad that the whole subject is handled very shallowly on the album,
unlike other bands with political songs like SOAD.

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 76
i liked Dookie, when i was in 7th grade. i don't care for it now, particularly, and i don't really like what i've heard since then, though i haven't heard any of their later albums all the way through.

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 76
Give me a break, American Idiot is MARGINALLY political at best. And anti-Bush? I don't know. There is maybe one song where you can make that argument, but the album as a whole is more of a coming-of-age story, I'd say.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
and the Presidents are back on the ROCKING front.

really? Last I heard of them was really wussy and quite watered down compared to their original stuff from the early nineties. (Kitty at my foot and I wanna touch it! lol
tongue.gif
) Glad to hear they're making a comeback.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #14 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I don't like Green Day at all. Especially the most recent album, even though I do
like punk bands like the ramones, murderdolls, and die ärzte.

die arzte is a joke.

BTW Green Day is not punk.
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Bunch of talentless Wankers if you ask me.

wow, you post a well-thought-out multiparagraph thing about The Beatles, yet can apparently sum up this band in a sentence. What glorious close-mindedness you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back