"Green" alternative to Sansa Fuze?
Jan 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jo-Vo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm using a Sansa Clip 2GB at the moment and would like to upgrade to something with more storage space. The Fuze looks nice but I don't want to buy a device again that has to be thrown away in ~2 years because the battery becomes flat and is not replacable.

Are there any portable players that have
- good (Clip/Fuze-comparable) sound quality
- flash memory with at least 8GB
- replacable battery (replacable LiIon or LiPo or maybe just AAs or AAAs?)

Ogg Vorbis support would be great also by the way but is not needed.

Thank you!

Regards,
Jonas

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 14
Past AAA battery favoites of head-fi were coby mp c741 (suprisingly good for the coby brand) and the rio forge. They were SD card mp3 players that use AAA. Both these players are currently discontinued. both 2gb card max. The only mp3 player that I can recalll that uses AA is the Creative Nomad Jukebox. Have you considered minidisc.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 14
Consider you'll still throw away multiple 'replaceable' rechargeable batteries (which by far are the largest contaminant part in DAP) in the years, there is nothing really 'green' about those alternative you are seeking now.

People often thought hybrid car is greener with out realizing the extra turbo size batteries that need to be replaced every few years or so are causing more pollution instead of helping the environment.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 14
So far I'm not seeing that I need to toss out my DAPs (with non-replaceable Li ion batteries) after only 2 years. They may be losing their share of charge at that point, but it hasn't been an all-or-nothing thing where I needed to discard them. But I don't use 1 DAP consistently everyday either, I switch between a few different ones.

Also, with some players there are DIY mods to change out "non-replaceable" batteries in them. My multiple years old(?) Rio Karma has a newer battery in it (was modded by someone else though).

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 14
The battery is only one component which should be replaceable, even if you have to open it up. The 'greenest' solution is to make what you have last.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 14
There's nothing "green" about using disposable batteries.

Learn how to wield a screwdriver with confidence. The battery can be changed whether the manufacturer intended it to be or not.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 14
im not sure the op even hinted at disposable batteries unless as a last resort. it is true: they are terrible for the environment, but recycling rechargeable batteries after their performance is sunk (that takes a long time) is fine.

ipod i know have a good replacement system where you can take in your old ipod when the battery is running low and get a new one for the price of replacing your battery.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 14
I remember seeing some eBay deal on Sansa Fuze 3rd party replacement battery when i was searching for a case, that should covers the battery part. For how to open the whole thing up, there is already a guide on AnyThingButiPod.com.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 14
considering a fuze is inexpensive and if you can replace the battery yourself and recycle the old one, very little waste. but it does not have great battery life: if you want to really conserve energy, a player with great battery life would mean less waste

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I'm using a Sansa Clip 2GB at the moment and would like to upgrade to something with more storage space. The Fuze looks nice but I don't want to buy a device again that has to be thrown away in ~2 years because the battery becomes flat and is not replacable.

Are there any portable players that have
- good (Clip/Fuze-comparable) sound quality
- flash memory with at least 8GB
- replacable battery (replacable LiIon or LiPo or maybe just AAs or AAAs?)

Ogg Vorbis support would be great also by the way but is not needed.

Thank you!

Regards,
Jonas

The flash version of TrekStor vibez fits the bill on all counts and might finally actually become available! (Amazon just changed they're ETA to "1-3 weeks")

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider you'll still throw away multiple 'replaceable' rechargeable batteries (which by far are the largest contaminant part in DAP) in the years, there is nothing really 'green' about those alternative you are seeking now.

NiCads are pretty toxic. The higher capacity (and now more common) NiMH batteries are not considered a guilt item for normal trash disposal other than the bit of volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back