Greatest Heavy Metal Drummers of All Time?
Dec 10, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favourite is Derek Roddy. Another very versatile drummer. Though he is mostly known from his Hate Eternal days, he is also great jazz drummer and what not.

And here is an example in what kind of insane projects he has been involved in
biggrin.gif

YouTube - Derek Roddy with ASU Wind Ensemble

And here is something more traditional.
tongue.gif

YouTube - Derek Roddy: Blast Beats Evolved - DVD Introduction
YouTube - Derek Roddy: Blast Beats Evolved - Cataplexy Event (performance)
YouTube - Derek Roddy - Behold Judas studio video (Hate eternal)

Thanks for sharing these, awesome stuff. That ASU Wind Ensemble vid was pretty cool, while the "Behold Judas" studio vid really shows how Derek earns his nickname "One Take".
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #19 of 43
I've added the following remark to the original post.

Remark
We do not consider (pop) rock, prog rock, hard rock drummers.
Only heavy metal drummers.
Therefore John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), Neal Peart (Rush), Danny Carey (Tool)
and many other rock greats should not be considered here.
By the way, we had a poll: Greatest Rock Drummer of All Time?

On another matter, someone mentioned Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden. Yup!

NickoMcBrain2.jpg

tongue_smile.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #21 of 43
I am not a fan of picking "Greatest" for people. I find there are people who are exceptional in several ways and all deserve a spot in the top. So I will mention some of my top picks for metal drummers off the top of my head.

Martin Lopez and Martin Axenroth, vastly different in style and execution, both extremely talented in their own ways. Opeth has really had a good run drummer wise.

I have to consider the original masters of metal Sabbath and give Bill Ward my nod for being so legendary and important in this genre, and really laying it down and not being too focussed on speed and complexity.

Dave Lombardo of Slayer is another important metal drummer for his exceptional speed skills and raw sound, he has also been very inspirational for a lot of youngsters and hence holds a very important position in the history of metal drummers.

Same goes for Mike Portnoy although if you wont count Tool, PT and Rush, you have no reason to count Mike Portnoy as a metal drummer, thats just plain wrong. Danney Carey is as much a metal drummer as Mike Portnoy and over the past few albums PT have moved towards a much more metal oriented sound overall. So Mike Portnoy however important he may be for drummers, is out of this list IMO as he is NOT a metal drummer.

Another fantastic drummer who probably deserves this title is Mario Duplantier of Gojira. Exceptional accuracy and speed with great phrasing and creativity thrown in. Very controlled in execution, prefers precision and accuracy over speed and flamboyance.

Definitely worth mentioning in this list is Chris Adler of Lamb of God. Another inspiration for several youngsters, is very creative (or atleast used to be, I am not seeing much of that in the recent album).

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since everyone else is posting youtubes, heres one of shannon lucas off the deflorate bonus disc
YouTube - Shannon Lucas- Deflorate DVD Bonus Drums IN HQ!!

the third song is the best display, though overall i think his drumming i a little bit better on Nocturnal.

Good stuff! And he also uses only one foot in blastbeats, leaving other free for hihats.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good stuff! And he also uses only one foot in blastbeats, leaving other free for hihats.

yeah hes always been one of my favorite drummers, i was pretty upset when he left all that remains, but then i discovered black dahlia murder which i love now, so i guess it was alright
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #28 of 43
I was impressed by Romain Goulon when I saw Necrophagist play earlier in the year. It wasn't just the fact that he moved around the kit like an octopus but the way he was so relaxed and made everything look fluid and natural. It was interesting watching him set up too. Once he was on stage, he wouldn't let any of the roadies touch his kit. He had to make sure that every drum and cymbal was perfectly placed. He sat looking at one cymbal for about 30 seconds before moving it slightly to the side.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #30 of 43
The band that started it all:

Bill Ward from Black Sabbath...without him, all other Heavy Metal drummers would have NOWHERE to start!

I can't believe no one mentioned him.

Actually, the GREATEST DRUMMER OF ALL FREAKING TIME opened the path for Sabbath: John Bonham from the greatest rock and roll band of all time (Led Zeppelin for all you younger folks)!

darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back