Greatest era for rock music.
Oct 8, 2002 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
to me it's the mid 60 to early 70s. The list of great bands in this time period is astounding.

Zeppelin
Beatles
Hendrix
Cream
Floyd
Purple
Sabbath
Stones
Iron Butterfly
Gratefull dead
The Who

Oct 8, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 18
I concur. But I'd bump it back a bit and go with late sixties through mid seventies. Then you get some more developed stuff from those bands, plus early punk ... and AC/DC!

kerely

Oct 8, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 18
I think you have hit the nail on the head for the best era. I would push the start date back a few years so that the early Clapton, Beck, Rod Stewart etc. works are included. It was a great time to be young. Too bad it was so long ago.

Oct 8, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 18
Naw, it was just cause you were stoned out of your gord, that the music sounded good. (Just kidding guys, no flames please!)

Oct 9, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by chewmanji
agreed.

now the tough question is what's the greatest era of all time for music ?

1945-1958 Great movie scores, big band, jazz it was all good.
Rock N Roll was great in the 50's but I gotta agree with late 60's to earlymid 70's. Mostly since the birth of AC/DC must be a milestone. First major release album High Voltage in Australia 1974. [size=xx-small]Which is waaaay different than the US release by the same name years later.[/size]

Oct 9, 2002 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 18
I think the late seventies and early eighties take it for the most influential....
the emergence of "alternative" and "hard rock" and dare I say "glamour" rock?
The glam rock bands pushed listeners "underground." Thank you Van Halen(I'm not saying they were "glam rock" I just think they brought rock mainstream...Boston, Foreigner, Rush, Yes, etc) Did I mention KISS?...hence "alternative"...then alternative became mainstream..oh well..
md

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 18
That was the greatest era for music period.This is when most music was closer to and celebrated it's roots in blues and jazz.Today it seems that artists are going far out of their way to record and perform more "modern" sounding music.This is fine and there is still good music being made today but the resurgence in blues and roots music shows that this music is still popular and has influence that extends far beyond typically formed genre lines.I don't buy the lack of talent or creativity arguments made by some hard-line 60s and 70s rock music fans and DJs.I do think that the lack of variety in influence has hurt the creativity of some of todays performers.I saw an interview with some of the band members of Disturbed and these guys admitted that they basically never really listened to blues,r&b,Jazz,Country or soul music.I think the most talented artists have the most diverse musical backrounds and the music conveys this.

Oct 9, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Zeppelin
Beatles
Hendrix
Cream
Floyd
Purple
Sabbath
Stones
Iron Butterfly
Gratefull dead

What about The Who? Aw man... Pete Townshend must be spinning in his grave... oh wait... he's still on tour...

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 18
I added the Who
cool.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 18
89-95 takes second place. Seattle scene, Pumpkins etc.

Biggie.

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 18
That's always been my opinion, too, Biggie. (Well, if you take the Pumpkins out of it.) I have a feeling some of the older crowd will disagree with us, though. ...

kerely

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 18
Well I am not a fan of all that 70's music besides Jimmy Hendrix but I still believe that was the best era for rock music. Lots of experimentation and freedom to create, showing what guitars and drums can really do.

Biggie.

Oct 11, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #14 of 18
For myself, my favorite music was born with the Beatles and the British invasion in 1963 and died with Elvis Costello in 1978. ok maybe Steely Dan's Gaucho in 1980.

Of the 1970s, I count Pink Floyd (although plenty of their music dates to 1966-67), Steely Dan (can't forget about Katy Lied or Aja), Bruce's first three albums, and Jackson Brown's first four albums.

As for 60s rock groups and performers, don't forget about The Beach Boys, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, The Byrds, Bob Dylan, CSN&Y, Traffic and Jethro Tull.

For anyone looking to understand classic rock music, the Rolling Stone Album Guide is an excellent introduction to the groups and their music, and can help guide your selections in building a collection of rock performances.

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 18
I'm actually not that period-based. I found something to like in all periods. I know this is one of those nostalgic "remember the good old days?" threads, so I'll stay out of it, but I just wanted to say that if you are a fan of music, there is probably something to like from any period. Even during the "hair metal" days (which a lot of hardcore metal fans did not like), there was a whole second "underground" scene that was actually pretty cool.

And I'm an older guy. Just not that mature. You know how some people say, "I want to be _____ when I grow up"? I just hope that I grow up some day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back