May 21, 2002 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mike K

New Head-Fier
Recently, I considered purchasing an X-psu power supply for my
X-Cans v2, but was reluctant about the price. After a little
reasearch here and at AudioAsylum, I purchased a 12vac/4500ma
power adapter from hosfelt.com - cost less than $20 including
shipping. What a difference! The bass firmed up, the treble
extended, everything sounds firmer,tighter, and more extended.
Vocals seem a lot cleaner and dynamics seem wider! I'm very
pleased. And I save some bucks too.

Mike

May 21, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 13
The wallwart that comes with the X-Can v2 is seriously underpowered. What you're reporting is the same effect as using the X-PSU. Power matters a lot with this amp.

May 21, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 13
I suppose I could find something like that at Radio Shack, no? I could take the unit in and have it fitted?

May 21, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 13
I used a 12v toroidal transformer I had laying around from a low voltage lighting system. It made quite a difference in the bass spectrum, tighter and better defined.
I think the guts of the X-PSU are nothing more than a 12v toroidal from what I recall.

Jun 4, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 13
I followed Mike's post and purchased the adapter he mentions from Hosfelt. Best $15 upgrade I have ever made. Clearly doubled the quality of the XCANS, v2. Detail, air... joy. Highly recommended.

I did notice however, that it is now running somewhat hotter to the touch. This may cause me to not leave it on all the time. I might experiment with a 15 minute warm up.

My XCans also enjy Nick's suggested JJ upgrade. Thanks Nick.

ajy55906

Jun 10, 2002 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 13
I visited Radio Shack and they did and they did have a 12vac 1000ma adaptor which is a bit more powerful that the standard X-Cans 12 vac/500ma power supply and might make some sonic difference?

Can anyone tell me if the centre pin on the X-Cans is negative or positive? It is not indicated on the X-Cans or the power supply that comes with it. I don't want to buy the Radio Shack adaptor and fry the X-Cans with the wrong polarity.

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Beagle, the polarity doesn't matter as the adapter output is AC (alternating current). So, don't worry; it won't fry your X-Can
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 12:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jedai
Beagle, the polarity doesn't matter as the adapter output is AC (alternating current). So, don't worry; it won't fry your X-Can
tongue.gif

Thank you. Why do I feel like I asked a stupid question?
biggrin.gif
I guess I'm not educated enough on these things.

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Why do I feel like I asked a stupid question?

Definitely not. I didn't know that.

Nick -- new slogan: "Roll Your Own!" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back