Great prices on AKG phones at Northern Sound & Light!
Oct 5, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #76 of 137
i bought some 181djs and 701s

they even threw in a Tshirt
biggrin.gif

not shipped yet though
mad.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #77 of 137
These aren't K701's....
P1010647.jpg

Whoa!!!! Where'd these come from?!
P1010654.jpg

Audio bliss... of the subtle nuances come to life.
P1010648.jpg

And one more for good measure. Aren't I a stud?
P1010645.jpg

Can't wait to see my gf's reaction. My sister said, and I quote, "OHMYGOD... you have ****'in satelite planets affixed to your skull!" My dad, "Did you know what they looked like BEFORE you got them?" Lol. Good times.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #78 of 137
Getting your full bang for ya buck entertainment/amusement value outa them already...LOL

AND willing to share too....;-}

-Enjoy-

Smart shopper

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #79 of 137
Nice, dude...I had similar comments around public too
tongue.gif

Might want to change your sig too, since you have them now.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #80 of 137
Lol. Thanks. I'm so glad I answered the door. I was trying to take a nap, and some one rang my door bell, and then knocked on the door, and my dogs were barking like crazy, so I was gonna go to the door to shoo them away right? WRONG! I nearly hugged the UPS man. (2 day shipping is pretty darn impressive, I think)

Can't wait for a little burn-in. They sound amazing now... After 350+ hours, I can't even imagine.

I really like the imaging. I made myself a little diagram of the imaging of the Sony's and then a little comparo of the K701's for my own amusement. With every song, I'd have to like add more stuff to the K701's arrangement, and then I noticed that some of the stuff I had already drawn wasn't applicable to every song. The fact of the matter is, is that the sound stage seems to completely re-invent itself with every song... I'm not disappointed in my purchases to say the least.

If you guys would like to see my rudimentary sketches of the K701's instrument separation/imaging capabilities, ask me. I thought my findings were fairly interesting, seeing as I hadn't heard much discussion concerning this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Nice, dude...I had similar comments around public too

Might want to change your sig too, since you have them now.

Good ideer. I'll get right on it. I wanna see what creative avatar I can come up with too. Decisions decisions...

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #81 of 137
If you guys would like to see my rudimentary sketches of the K701's instrument separation/imaging capabilities, ask me. I thought my findings were fairly interesting, seeing as I hadn't heard much discussion concerning this...

Can you post these here in this thread?

Yea, I find it fun to compare between HPs by memory or the two in house...Nearly impossible not to, in fact....And, that's the wonder of this multifaceted hobby asside from the music itself, of course.....

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #82 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Ack! I took one for the team and ordered up both the K171S and K601 this morning! The K601 was $183.82, a smashing deal, too good to pass up! I thought it was time for me to try something different than the K701 and maybe even downgrade! Seems like everyone and their mother has a K701, I prefer owning a headphone that not too many people have so I have something worthwhile to bring to the meets.
biggrin.gif
And I figure even if I don't keep the K601, at least I can do a public service and review the thing since there's so little info on it here (I do plan to review the K171S eventually too). And I got a swanky NSL t-shirt too, they threw it in for free.

Head-Fi is like a disease you can't shake off, it's like this site turns you into a headphone zombie...

Ditto. Thanks for taking one for the team; can't wait to read your review.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #83 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjeff2006
got an email too, shipped today... can't wait, wonder if i order another one now, do i have to wait 2-3 weeks again??
confused.gif

cjeff - What date did you place your order?

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #84 of 137
gladly...

P1010655.jpg

The K701 is obviously on the right and V700Dj on the left. The K701's is rather sloppy because I had to keep on adding to and redefining the lines and stuff; the sound kept changing! But it's easy to see how more developed the K701 is comparatively. The Sony basically had 4 blobs separated only by frequency. The 701 has by far a more expansive sound stage, with a similar split in mids that runs down the crest of the skull. The treble and bass seems to jump around though which sound uber cool on some tracks (Mama.. by ELO especially), and the mids also have these sort of ranging tubes running straight form my ears that give further depth. With vocals in more than one spot at the same time (in the circular plane running the crest of my skull, or protruding tube, they can easily mix together to form a spot on image almost anywhere within 3 feet radius of my head) Also, they are sposed to get even better at imaging and soundstage as they burn in. Can't wait.

Edit: Oh yea... this is just what MY experience with these two headphones. (Also with little on head experience with the K701's) I'd imagine and expect other people to draw a completely different rendition. (I'd actually like to see some one's and see how they vary...)

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #86 of 137
Yep... The three or four "blob" seems to be what lesser phones aspire to and only truly higher end designs can accomplish the magic of spaciousness and seperation while maintaining coherance to the music... this is also amplifier and source dependent,as well as the recording itself(as you pointed out) but ultimatly the phones themselves MUST be designed capable; As your A/B test shows with the other variables consistant.

I might add, further refinement of finding a more perfect system match (synergy) between well chosen components ie Upgradeitis, can be justified in search of this last degree of focus and tunning in the ellusive magical presentation of well recorded music many audiophiles aspire to with their systems. And I do think the 701s & Headfive do match well....

Impressive for you to put to diaghram and into words that which is heard.... Not to be underestimated in the least; bravo!

It will be curious to hear if this settles down any bit differently should you reflect back to this page at some future point in time having designed a hard copy with which to compare.

I believe its true, the 701s reportedly will seemingly jump around durring break-in before they settle in to their steady state of presentation.As well as the H5 and its presentation of its bass especially. But it sure is fun these snapshots of sonics along the path to their eventual maturity.

You're right, alot could be said of this and a diagrahm is a good first step.

Enjoy the tunes-

/Where's that gosh dang 701 smiley when requisite;-}

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #88 of 137
Great pictures khbaur! Let me ask you: my ups tracker doesn't indicate whether this is a signature required delivery. Did you have to sign for this package?

I need to start remembering to have these kinds of parcels sent to work.

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #89 of 137
Argh! So the UPS tracker says my package is showing up TOMORROW! This would be a great thing, but I know I am going out to eat with my parents, my sister, and my little nieces after work tomorrow, and UPS usually makes it to my house in the evening. So I would really like to know if this delivery is signature required. Sorry for the double-post bumpage!

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #90 of 137
Tracking Number: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Type: Package
Scheduled Delivery: 10/06/2006
Shipped to: ROYAL OAK, MI, US
Shipped or Billed on: 10/04/2006
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 4.00 Lbs

Where else can I get excited about this??? Damn this place, I miss my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back