Great Movie Watching Headphones and Replacement Headphones for the Beyerdynamic COP
May 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

nokialover

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the market looking for headphones that are good for watching movies from my laptop off a fiio e11 amp.  My Beyerdynamic COP got water damaged and do not work as well, so I am looking for headphones that produce more detail than the Beyerdynamic COP and also are able to fold up.  I was looking at the audio technical m50 and ultrasone hfi 780 headphones.  For the movie watching headphones, I do not have an idea, so I would like to get some advice on that. 

May 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 29
The SoundMAGIC HP100s are very clean and detailed and fold up into a nice package (they come with a carrying case).  I haven't heard the COPs, but I think the HP100s sound fantastic.  I've owned both the M50s and the 780s, and I don't think either of them are comfortable for long-term listening, and I don't think their sound is particularly well balanced, either.

May 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 29
hmmm I was looking into the m50 and 780 at one time, but I ended up getting the COP in the end.  Are you saying that the soundmagic hp100 are good for watching movies? I would be very interested if that were true. 

May 30, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 29
Personally, I think the Beyerdynamic DT770's are one of the best movie headphones out there, so I think you were on the right track with the Beyers you had. They don't fold up, but they're durable enough that you can just toss them in your backpack.

May 30, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 29
I have heard the DT 770 was better than the COP but my set has been structurally damaged, and also damaged by water.  They do not work as well anymore.  I thought that open headphones are better for watching movies than closed headphones?

May 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 29
My little sister spilled water on my headphones and damaged them.  Once I get to higher volumes with my fiio e11 amp, the sound gets very distorted.  Are you saying that the DT770 would be the best bet then?

May 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 29
Are you saying that the hp100 is the best bet for me? They get good reviews, but not very many on amazon.  

May 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 29
If folding capability is essential for you, I'd recommend the HP100s.  If it's not, I think the DT 770 Pros are slightly better for long-term comfort and in terms of sound signature (for watching movies).

May 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 29
I love the 780s for movies...still one of my favourite headphones. I haven't heard the DT770s but i recently auditioned DT990s and they sounded great for movies (was actually going to buy them but bought KRK Rokit6 speakers instead). Might buy them soon.

May 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 29
The Ultrasone HFI-780 is fantastic for movies. The dialogue is like the actors are right there in the room talking to you. Watching an episode of LOST today I could hear what was going on in the background and having a good chance of predicting what they were doing such as collecting wood or preparing food. They also have good isolation from any outside distraction which helps to enjoy movies more.

Some times I have to look at my stereo receiver to see if I left the speakers on by accident that's how great the HFI-780 is. It really covers all the bases splendidly making my bookshelf speakers look as if they're only doing half their job. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back