1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Great headphones for under $300

1. Peptobismol165
    Hey everybody!

My name is Marc and I'm eager to purchase a new set of headphones. 

I'm relatively new to the "audiophile" world, and I'm far from one!! I bought a pair of Bose IE2 ear-buds and loved them for 2 years. I just recently lost them, and I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm willing to spend up to around $300 for some. I'm looking for headphones that are really versatile. I'll be going to college in about a month, so my sound system won't fly in the apartment. I want a pair of headphones that'll be great with not only the music I listen to, but great with movies and games too! My music varies anywhere from Avenged Sevenfold and Rise Against, to Matchbox Twenty and The Goo Goo Dolls, back to Alice and Chains, with a sprinkle of Muse. I also like bands such as AWOLNATION, John Mayer, Bleachers, Jack Johnson, The Orwells, and Nothing More. (I can go on all day!)

Even though I listen to a lot of Alternative, Metal, Rock, and lord knows what else, I really like listening to classical music. I love 2Cellos, Yo-Yo-Ma, The Piano Tribute Band, Frank Sinatra and countless other artists.

I'm looking for a headphone with a warm rich sound, but with a "punchy" bass. I was told Sennheiser's HD 598's will go great with my classical music, and hold true to that "warm full sound" I was talking about, but that the Sennheiser HD 558's are the overall most versatile for me. Other headphones that popped up in conversation were the AKG Q 701's. 

I'm looking to you guys for help, what should I do!?

2. KG Jag
    Although they are both very fine cans, neither the HD 558/598 nor Q 701 have the type or amount of bass you desire.

I have not heard them yet, but I'll bet someone here will recommend the SoundMAGIC HP100.

I recommend the NAD VISO HP50.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

3. Darkseth
    I use a T90 (which is NOT a bass-head headphone. its more like slightly bass-boosted. A tiny bit more than a DT 880 / AKG Q701).

I like the sound even with metal, rock, and that whole corner.

What makes songs of this genre not very nice to listen to is NOT "too low bass" from the headphones, its how crappy the music is mastered in the studio.
    For example the new Linkin Park album... I really like the band but.... srsly, the new album sounds like lowest crap.. As if im listening to 60 kbit/s (even if its 320+ kbit/s).

Bass-head headphones can "hide" stuff like that better, than analytical headphones like a Q701. But, if the Musik is REALLY good (studio master quality), then even a natural Q701 can be really fun with even metal/rock/etc.

However,  since you pretty much know that you are looking for a warm bassy sound: Philips Fidelio X1.
    Incredible Build quality, for that price pretty good soundquality, dark/warm sounding, very good comfort.

Only one little thing is pretty crap on these: Philips does not sell any spare parts. Not even Earpads. As soon your earpads are "used"/"old", you can buy a new X1. (thats the only reason, i dont like recommending this one).
    So keep that in mind, and treat it really carefully, and wash/clean the earpads carefully, to make them last as long as possible, if you like the comfort/sound of this one.

Btw: Do you look for an open or closed Can design? Open is ONLY recommended, if you plan using that at home.For any mobile/portable stuff, get closed ones. For example, V-Moda Crossfade M100 should please you very much: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bassheads-delight-v-moda-crossfade-m-100

4. Dragonzeanse
    The Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD 598, and Focal Spirit Classic are all good choices. I've tried all but the last one, which comes with great recommendations (I have heard the FS Professional, though; feel free to skip that one).

The Fidelio X1 does not have replaceable pads, which is **** You #1 on the Fidelio X1s. The fit is another. The cable isn't an issue; people whine a lot about it but the problem is overexaggerated. If you absolutely must replace it, get a V-Moda cable. Sennheiser HD 598s are pretty much the epitome of warm sound. They might even be too warm for some music you listen to.

NAD VISO HP50 and Sony MDR-1R get a lot of recommendations, too.

5. lin0003
    Go for the AD900 and save yourself some money. they punch up there with the HD600s. 

6. maricius
    For closed back headphones, I'd recommend the NAD VISO HP50 or the Focal Spirit One S at $299 and $249 respectively. I haven't heard the latter but I've heard the Focal Spirit Pro and the Spirit Classic and they impressed me but go over your budget. The reviewer at Headmania mentioned that the Spirit One S can be seen as alternative so you could look into them. The NADs are great but they kinda look… the Focals look better.