Great Headphones for me - $120 budget
Jul 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kensclark15

New Head-Fier
I have a $120 budget so I'm looking on Amazon. I found the Audio Technica M50s's but they have a V shaped signature which I don't like. I also saw the Sony MDR-XB700's but someone said it's lacking on the mids and highs.

Things I'm looking for:
- Design/build
  - I would prefer a black color
  - Maybe a rugged feel so I know they're sturdy
  - Over the ear type
  - Closed back

- Isolation
  - Doesn't have to have good isolation but it would be a plus
  - Circumaural a plus

- Sound
  - Good sound on all frequencies with a boost on bass. Maybe going down below 15 hertz. Below 10 a plus.
  - No v shaped signature or an upside down V shape lol.

- Types of music I listen to
  - Electronica
  - Dubstep
  - Folk
  - Folk rock
  - Gypsy Punk (Gogol Bordello)
  - Some rock and metal
  - Country

- Songs for reference
  - Lights by Ellie Goulding
  - Crystallize by Lindsey Stirling
  - You're Gonna Go Far Kid by The Offspring
  - Change by Deftones
  - Disco Song by Vitalics
  - Faulty by Sleeper
  - Smile by Telepopmusik
  - Gold Dust (Flux Pavillon Remix)
  - Scent by Die Krupps
  - Scardonia by Celldweller
  - Long Haired Redneck by David Allen Coe
  - I don't Wanna Stop by Ozzy Osbourne
  - Bass Alert by Modulate
  - Fukurou No Yurikago by Mucc

[size=12px !important]   - Fanatica by Eisbrecher[/size]

- I'm Shipping Up To Boston by The Dropkick Murphys
  - Not A Crime - Gogol Bordello

Lol. Sorry for the long list. Just a few songs I like. It would also be good if the headphones went above 20,000 hertz. So any ideas?

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 24
Maybe you could get the koss prodj100 or koss TBSE1 with athm50 pads and a fiio e5 amp for around $100. They are black with machined metal circumaural cups and supposedly have great mids with slightly rolled off highs. For more info on these cans check out tdockweiler's thread about these being great budget phones. It is certainly not a mid-bassy headphone but it is said to have decent sub-bass.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 24
Ultrasone 580's. Best headset under $150. ( some say best under $200 ) Goes for $120. Same as the m50's, but has a better bass and lows, while maintaning the same or slightly better highs and mids of the m50's. Very good headset, but at first the highs will hurt your ears. Burn them in for about 50 hours and it will not hurt your ears. Burn them in and they sound even more amazing. Hands down get the Ultrasone 580. Also low impedence. Everything sounds clear and you can hear clearly each note playing. Has a feauture where yuo have a 3d effect. Trance and techno sound amazing thorugh these phones. Its been rated the best headphone for techno and dubstep, trance. Still is awesome in all other genres.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 24
It says 32 ohms. I'm worried that my droid phone cannot give enough power because I cannot buy an amp. Also, it said it reduces the volume or something with a new technology, I like loud volume. And will the surround sound affect the music in any way?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 24
Have you tried the Shure SRH440s? They'd be within your budget and seem to be fairly balanced at that price point. I've heard mixed reviews on their bass response though...

'crusha

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
It says 32 ohms. I'm worried that my droid phone cannot give enough power because I cannot buy an amp. Also, it said it reduces the volume or something with a new technology, I like loud volume. And will the surround sound affect the music in any way?

32 Ohms is very low. All portable players should be able to drive them, including mobile phones. As for the volume-reduction technology, its supposed to reduce real volume but keep perceived volume intact, so it will still seem loud to you. The surround effect does effect the music, makes it sound a little artificial. Some people love this effect, others hate it. I'm in the second group.

Quote:
On the Audio Technica M50's will I really notice if the mids are lacking if I'm moving up from crappy sony "bass" earbuds?

No. The M50's mids are really not bad at all, head-fi is just full of people who exaggerate. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 24
I noticed that you listen to a good amount of rock/instrumental-based genres. How about the Grado SR80i's? They are considered to be the best bang for the buck headphones by many headphone users here and have been known to be amazing for rock with their signature "Grado" sound.

You can buy them for <$100 new.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
I noticed that you listen to a good amount of rock/instrumental-based genres. How about the Grado SR80i's? They are considered to be the best bang for the buck headphones by many headphone users here and have been known to be amazing for rock with their signature "Grado" sound.

You can buy them for <$100 new.

But they have no sub-bass...

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 24
So the Grados look like they don't have that much bass for me and I do listen to music that is bass heavy. And I don't like the concept of open air design. So right now unless anyone thinks of better headphones I'm stuck between the Shure SRH440's and the Audio Technica ATH-M50's. What's the difference between the two? And would the Sony MDR-XB700's be worth it either?

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 24
Those Sony headphones are really muffled in the mid and high frequencies, kinda like Beats... Not really a high fidelity choice, IMO.

I think you should consider the M50s, as well as KOSS PRODJ100. Also, Fischer Audio FA-003 might be worth checking out. 
You might also be able to find Denon HP1000 or Xone XD-53 in your price range. Both are good options (coincidentally, they both use Audio Technica drivers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back