Great headphone sound? It’s in the CAN! iFi audio ZEN CAN!
Aug 17, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #106 of 538
Deva sounds fuller from mid to low!

P_20200817_133700-01.jpeg

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #108 of 538
*This is not a full review of the iFi Zen CAN, but a glimpse into it’s attributes in the short time that I’ve had it.*

My new feature-rich iFi Zen CAN headphone amplifier landed on my desk a few days ago, and I have spent some time putting it through its paces. My first impression is “Wow, the power!”.

My long beloved iFi Zen DAC is certainly no slouch - as its amplifier circuit is pretty powerful and will be all you will ever need for most headphone aficionados out there. But some headphones like higher impedance planars and dynamics with high impedance will truly love the iFi Zen CAN.

I’ve been using it unbalanced and testing FLAC tunes on my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms, TYGR 300 R and my Hifiman HE4XX. I have a bunch of other cans, but these are the hardest to drive in my collection and easiest to see the difference in amplification output from the Zen DAC to Zen CAN. The gain settings go from 0dB to 6dB to 12dB to 18 dB. And just on the 6dB gain it gets incredibly loud on my headphones I’ve been testing with. At 12 o’clock it is LOUD!!!

Loud, but with phenomenally low levels of distortion and noise-floor. I purchased mine with the low-noise iFi 5V power supply, and will in time try it out with other 5V power units to see if there is a difference.

The Zen CAN also improves on dynamic punch big time, extends the soundstage of the already glorious Zen DAC by some degree, and has a vast improvement on imaging. I’m not a gamer, but I can imagine serious gamers wanting this stack in the Christmas stockings.

I still haven’t tested all the features, and do not have any balanced headphones to try them out on. But in the short time I’ve lived with it I can definitely say it’s a keeper!

5h0dw8l5zih51.jpg

Aug 17, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #111 of 538
Just wondering has anyone tried both Zen Can and SMSL SP200? I'm trying to decide what to get...
Last week, I had asked if anyone had tried both Zen Can and SP200, but since I don't think any have, I ordered both to compare and keep one I like. Headphones I'm using are Elegia and M570 and DAC is SMSL M300 mk2. Both are very good clean amps, but I think the biggest factor differentiate them is the xbass and 3D on Zen Can. The xbass and 3d literally brings the music to life. I highly recommend to Zen Can to anyone who just want to enjoy the music. So the SP200 will be going back.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #112 of 538
Hello @iFi audio stacking both is like biting my nails of getting both of them scratching each other thus I put the mat (please see my pos #101). The 4 rubber foots does not really keep each of them away.

I can see where you are coming from with the idea, but if you place them gently in a vertical fashion, there should not be any issues.

Thanks for the suggestion,
iFi team

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #113 of 538
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 19, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #114 of 538
Another thing, I found it is "okay" for me but for some might be a hassle, let say I am using 6dB gain in iem, then I need to go back to 0dB gain...it is either I need to low down the vol to zero or I have to unplug the jack, other wise KABOOMMM!!! :skull::smile::smile:

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #115 of 538
*This is not a full review of the iFi Zen CAN, but a glimpse into it’s attributes in the short time that I’ve had it.*

My new feature-rich iFi Zen CAN headphone amplifier landed on my desk a few days ago, and I have spent some time putting it through its paces. My first impression is “Wow, the power!”.

My long beloved iFi Zen DAC is certainly no slouch - as its amplifier circuit is pretty powerful and will be all you will ever need for most headphone aficionados out there. But some headphones like higher impedance planars and dynamics with high impedance will truly love the iFi Zen CAN.

I’ve been using it unbalanced and testing FLAC tunes on my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms, TYGR 300 R and my Hifiman HE4XX. I have a bunch of other cans, but these are the hardest to drive in my collection and easiest to see the difference in amplification output from the Zen DAC to Zen CAN. The gain settings go from 0dB to 6dB to 12dB to 18 dB. And just on the 6dB gain it gets incredibly loud on my headphones I’ve been testing with. At 12 o’clock it is LOUD!!!

Loud, but with phenomenally low levels of distortion and noise-floor. I purchased mine with the low-noise iFi 5V power supply, and will in time try it out with other 5V power units to see if there is a difference.

The Zen CAN also improves on dynamic punch big time, extends the soundstage of the already glorious Zen DAC by some degree, and has a vast improvement on imaging. I’m not a gamer, but I can imagine serious gamers wanting this stack in the Christmas stockings.

I still haven’t tested all the features, and do not have any balanced headphones to try them out on. But in the short time I’ve lived with it I can definitely say it’s a keeper!

5h0dw8l5zih51.jpg
Thanks for the comments. I'm pushing that buy button on them both today.

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #116 of 538
Has anyone made a comparison between the balanced out, connecting the Zen Dac & Zen Can, with the RCA/Phono out. A few more balanced cables are appearing on AliExpress & ebay

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #117 of 538
I ordered my Can last week; it got delayed but luckily today it’s dispatched and apparently I’m getting it on Monday. This is my first proper headphone amp - I am stoked to no end

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #118 of 538
I ordered my Can last week; it got delayed but luckily today it’s dispatched and apparently I’m getting it on Monday. This is my first proper headphone amp - I am stoked to no end

Nice one! I was the same. What headphones will be using with it? I'm using mine with a DT1990 Pro and I'm pretty happy with it.

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #119 of 538
Nice one! I was the same. What headphones will be using with it? I'm using mine with a DT1990 Pro and I'm pretty happy with it.
Right now I have pad swapped ATH-AD500Xs (now I know these don't need that much power but with my current amp which is a cheap old Philips Home-Theater-In-A-Box receiver from like 2005, and with the sensitive ATs, I can hear hiss at moderate volumes with no input - this is not a grounding issue). I'm planning to buy 600 ohm DT880s in September and planning to get HD660s and DT1990 down the line.

Edit: PS - what do you think of the bass boost and 3d-ifier?

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #120 of 538
Right now I have pad swapped ATH-AD500Xs (now I know these don't need that much power but with my current amp which is a cheap old Philips Home-Theater-In-A-Box receiver from like 2005, and with the sensitive ATs, I can hear hiss at moderate volumes with no input - this is not a grounding issue). I'm planning to buy 600 ohm DT880s in September and planning to get HD660s and DT1990 down the line.

Edit: PS - what do you think of the bass boost and 3d-ifier?

Personally i can't really tell much difference. I think it may because I'm listening on Spotify. I do notice a difference in the bass boost on certain songs but again this may be type of music I listen to acoustic pop, jazz and classical music so there's not much base going on. But in general the sound stage is better as well as the separation. So it's more of an overall improvement that I get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back