Great DAPs for 500 - 700$ (doesn't matter if it's desktop or portable)
May 30, 2017 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

celibate

New Head-Fier
I was going to get a new DAP and my budget is around 500-700$, though I don't know where to exactly start, I just need a great DAP to use simply for listening. Though I don't mind if it had extra features such as a built in amp or DAC or it being desktop or portable.

Also it'd be great for an amp recommendation as well since I plan on getting one of those later.

May 30, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 8
Up your price to a QP1R and you will not be disappointed in the Sound Quality.

May 30, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 8
In your price range I personally like the Onkyo DP-X1. Lots of features and great sound. What is your budget for the amp? What will you be using it with? What headphones?

Thanks for the recommendation looks like a great option in my budget range, also for the amp budget probably around the same price as the DAP though I might go for something 300$-ish, though I quite fine with anything higher than that (300 - 700 and slightly to moderately above if its worth the price to quality ratio) and for the phones I'd be using with such an amp it'd for be a Sony MDR 7506/V6 and a JVC SZ2000 (later on I plan on getting a JVC HA-MX 100z, a very hidden pair of cans so it might be a bit hard to offer something to match its style since few know what it sounds like outside of japan) I also might be open to getting two different amps if it can offer better coverage for my range of usage.

May 30, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 8
I was going to get a new DAP and my budget is around 500-700$, though I don't know where to exactly start, I just need a great DAP to use simply for listening. Though I don't mind if it had extra features such as a built in amp or DAC or it being desktop or portable.

Also it'd be great for an amp recommendation as well since I plan on getting one of those later.

For desktop use the term is more of "music server" than DAP. And some that don't come with a DAC might be referred to as a "digital transport," the same way CDPs that only have digital output and no DAC circuit+analogue outputs are referred to as CD transports.

Just get any WiFi or cable LAN server, that way it can access an NAS in your home network (instead of relying on a player that has other storage options, like an HDD installed inside, or putting a USB HDD next to it to connect via USB), and more importantly, that allows you to use a smartphone app as the interface as opposed to the tiny screen on these players.

Look into the Marantz music server, and then use its digital output to a DAC and then a headphone amp. Or get a one-box DAC-HPamp like the AudioGD NFB-11.

May 31, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 8
For desktop use the term is more of "music server" than DAP. And some that don't come with a DAC might be referred to as a "digital transport," the same way CDPs that only have digital output and no DAC circuit+analogue outputs are referred to as CD transports.

Just get any WiFi or cable LAN server, that way it can access an NAS in your home network (instead of relying on a player that has other storage options, like an HDD installed inside, or putting a USB HDD next to it to connect via USB), and more importantly, that allows you to use a smartphone app as the interface as opposed to the tiny screen on these players.

Look into the Marantz music server, and then use its digital output to a DAC and then a headphone amp. Or get a one-box DAC-HPamp like the AudioGD NFB-11.

Heh, thanks for the great insight as I'm always learning about all things audio especially since I'm just starting out, now I think I'm well informed enough to finally begin making the decision about what to go with as a setup to suite my usage

May 31, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 8
I was recently looking at DAPs in the similar price bracket and ended up with the Cowon Plenue 1, which i've been super happy with, great sound, easy to use, decent amount of built in storage, drives my B&O H6's well enough that they don't need an amp. Other DAPs I considered were the AK70 & the Onkyo DP-X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back