great CD players for cheap
Jun 27, 2002 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
just thought id share with everyone what i did to get a good cd player with barely any money. i got a Nakamichi MB-2s which is an incredible CD player that used to sell for about $600 for $70 used on ebay. Nakamichi CD players go for next to nothing on ebay and sound great.

Jun 28, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 7
To get more of a handle on what you're saying, they sound great compared to what? A benchmark machine would help. Thanks.

confused.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 7
There are a lot of great older CDP's out there. I'd look for the vintage high-end cdps. Some models to look for

Adcom GCD-575
NAD 521
Pioneer PD-65
Marantz CD-30
Anything by NEC
Anything by Kyocera

These might not compete with newer cdp's with HDCD, but for the prices these things are going for...ya cant complain.

Jun 28, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 7
I know people are going to laugh, but the Samsung 709 DVDP from 1999 is actually a good CDP. I actually prefer it to my Sony 775 for CDs. I bough it used for $50 on Ebay. If you search in Audio Asylum you'll find some older posts recommending it, even Dan Wright liked it better than a Pioneer DV-525 as a stand alone player, not transport.

It's hardly an ideal DVD movie player due to firmware problems with complex, dual layer movies and it runs very hot(no vents). It also wouldn't handle CDRs.

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
There are a lot of great older CDP's out there. I'd look for the vintage high-end cdps. Some models to look for

Adcom GCD-575
NAD 521
Pioneer PD-65
Marantz CD-30
Anything by NEC
Anything by Kyocera

These might not compete with newer cdp's with HDCD, but for the prices these things are going for...ya cant complain.

I'll second the Adcom GCD-575. I bought mine used two years ago, and it sounds great (especially considering its vintage). Besides, it makes a great transport if you purchase an external DAC. My only complaint is that it doesn't read SOME CD-R's very well...but this doesn't happen too often.

Jul 5, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 7
The NAD 521 is old?
confused.gif
I can't even get any model above 520 in HK right now!
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back