"Great" Albums you just don't "get"?
Oct 23, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #106 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting... particularly considering I'm about to listen to my first Mahler
k701smile.gif

mahler7masinfonia.jpg

Most people will agree that the 7th is the least Mahlerish of all his symphonies, not in a good or bad way. The most definitive Mahler and recommended for a beginner is probably his 5th.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #107 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people will agree that the 7th is the least Mahlerish of all his symphonies, not in a good or bad way. The most definitive Mahler and recommended for a beginner is probably his 5th.

I feel that, and yes the 7th is the one which sounds most disconnected from his work.....

I think the ultimate way to discover Mahler is to go in chronological order.

Even still, the 5th was the first I ever heard, so you may be right:)

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #108 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say Radiohead, but I've never been able to even get through an entire album they're so awful. I've heard a few songs here and there that seem okay (fake plastic trees, I could be wrong - not even sure what albums they come from), but usually whenever I hear that caterwauling voice I just tune out. Creep is my favorite song by them, lol.

Thom Yorke seems like a cool guy, but I just don't get their music. It's like they're intentionally trying to be depressed/depressing, right? Like it's really deep to be depressed because society is in such a bad state of fragmented alienation from all the technology, is that the general idea?
confused.gif

The "depressing" tag given to Radiohead is understandable from a casual listener's perspective as most of their songs seem downbeat with dark lyrics but scratch the surface and a very different experience emerges. The music is extraordinarily beautiful evoking many positive emotions, and it is obvious that these are musicians intent on delivering a message of love despite the realities of modern life which tend to suppress our spiritual side and focus more on immediate gratification.
Rarely has a band emerged whose music is so thought provoking and rewards the listener more with each listen especially the beauty and subtleties of Thom Yorke's voice.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #110 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Radiohead, they're one of my very favorite bands of all time, but I think their lyrics are unbelievably overrated.

+1

As someone who rarely even listens to lyrics in ANY music I find Radiohead to be perfectly enjoyable (even more so, perhaps) when discounting lyrics altogether.

There are a few exceptions, but normally RH lyrics are bland and uninspired, imo.

edit: I should mention that while I don't listen to the lyrics I intently listen to the sound of the voice as an instrument.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #111 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Radiohead, they're one of my very favorite bands of all time, but I think their lyrics are unbelievably overrated.

Even on their main fan sites, lyrics are not generally discussed to a great extent so I'm not sure they're that overrated. Most listeners will not follow up the many references they use, both cultural and literary, which is fine but there is plenty to get your teeth into if you're that way inclined. This is another aspect of the band which is fulfilling - they are a gateway to not only different musical styles for many young people but also a wealth of literature.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #112 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel that, and yes the 7th is the one which sounds most disconnected from his work.....

I think the ultimate way to discover Mahler is to go in chronological order.

Even still, the 5th was the first I ever heard, so you may be right:)

Karajan's studio 9th is what hooked me. Now, because of the Mahler thread, I own way too much Mahler
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #114 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatchFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
f70189qfmrt.jpg

lol - I love that album, from first note to last. Just goes to show how different taste can be.
icon10.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #115 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatchFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
f70189qfmrt.jpg

Yep.

I don't like pretty much anything from Smashing Pumpkins. There's some stuff on Melon Collie that I don't hate, but I never really got the fascination. I had a female roommate who had the hots for Billy Corgan though. She especially loved his crooked teeth. Yeah. I don't get Smashing Pumpkin fans.

biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #116 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radiohead is the most critically acclaimed rock band of this generation so it's very difficult to listen to any of their music now without some sort of prejudice (positive or negative). That's what I meant by the time machine bit.
Cool.
smile.gif

I'm lucky, because I live in a musical backwater of sorts. So, my wife happens to have a couple of Radiohead CDs I hadn't heard. I put on The Bends yesterday, and heard it pretty much fresh (I had heard at least one of the songs somewhere). I found it a bit interesting, but not ground-breaking in any way. A few nice songs. Mostly it didn't move me much, and at least at this point, I don't think it's something that would be in regular play, though occasionally.

Thanks to all of you for bringing them up, though.

- Ed

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #117 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything by Radiohead.

Ya, no kidding. The lead singer seems like a pretentious whiner to me.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #118 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL!

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #119 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People think they're a form of new "Art"
rolleyes.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #120 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People think they're a form of new "Art"
rolleyes.gif

In the future, When they open the time capsule and pull out a radiohead CD and a Tiny Tim record..........Its a coin toss which one they pitch first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back