Great $50 cans? (Considering V-Moda Crossfade LP and Takstar HI2050)
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EatSourFruit

New Head-Fier
Hello, head-fi! I'm a new subscriber to the hi-fi creed. I've always appreciated the sound differences produced by different gear, although I've always looked at it through a recording standpoint, upgrading my microphones.

Unfortunately, this has left me really lacking in the headphone department. So far my upgrading experience has been fairly linear, as sound improves quite drastically if you double the prices between headphones. I'm currently using the Sennheiser HD419 headphones, and I'm looking to upgrade, partly because I plan on giving this pair away, and partly because I feel as though I've hit a point where I feel I need my audio to be of a higher quality to properly assess and listen to.

After doing a lot research (read; lurking head-fi), I have come across two very viable candidates.

The V-Moda Crossfade LP, and the Takstar HI2050.

I wouldn't be in this dilemma, and would have gone straight for the takstar, as I've wanted to try open headphones for awhile now, and they don't seem to need amping. I'm not quite ready to invest in that yet. The closest thing I have to a dac+amp is a zoom h4n that I'm currently using as an audio interface. However, I've sourced a fairly beaten up set up V-Moda crossfade LP for around the same price, and I was wondering if they would be a better choice in general. I do like my bass, after all.

That being said, I am open to suggestions. However, one of my criteria when choosing these was build-quality and pad-comfort. I don't feel like spending any more on these headphones after I buy them, as I like to give away my gear and not get terribly invested in it.

TLDR; headphones around 50 bucks? Is it worth picking up the V-Moda crossfade LP's for 50 dollars, or should I go for something else?

Thanks for the love, head-fi <3

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 5
The Hi-2050 is a very nice headphone, a baby Beyer DT in many aspects, not only aesthetically. Most other headphones in the same price range tend to be consumer oriented, with boosted bass and not much to write home about. The Hi-2050 brings the full audiophile dynamic headphone experience, for that cheap, yes. There's a well defined soundstage, vibrant strings, controlled bass, sparkly treble...
It's not as good as a DT880, sure, but it's not that far behind. Feed them with high quality recordings, seriously... and you won't regret.

If you listen to a lot of modern mainstream, over compressed recordings and so on, the Takstar might appear a tad unforgiving, bright or cold.
If that's the case, the Pioneer Se-A1000 should do the trick much better. It's smoother, with more open soundstage although an overall more diffuse sounding headphone.

Different flavours, you know...
Both comfortable, both well built, both a steal.

Best Luck!

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll probably stick with the takstars then, as they look so comfortable. 

I suppose this means I should discount the v-modas? I only threw them in because I found such a cheap pair, but if even at this price they're not really worth considering, then I suppose I'll just forget about them for the time being.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Apr 29, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 5
  The V-Moda are only good if you're a basshead who listen to mostly hip-hop or edm.
Look for a V-Moda M80 instead, they are pretty cheap now. Amazon has some used for about $53
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00I9UKKS0/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1430347010&sr=8-1&keywords=vmoda+m80&condition=used

The creative aurvana live should also be on your short list

if you are considering aurvana be sure to check the size, i had to return mine since they were too small and i couldnt use them for a longer time, and they feel delicate, liked the sound though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back