Greaseproof headphones?!
Feb 20, 2017 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Adrian Machin

New Head-Fier
I have a Philips SHP3000 (over ear) and after 2 years of using it, it has absorbed a lot of grease from my hairs. It's so much greasy that if I put it on a paper, the paper would get so much grease trails and stains in the places where earpads and headband were located on the paper. It would be greasy and stinky due to normal hair grease and the leather skin on the earpads and headband would get torn and peeled off, leaving a mess of tiny wick-shaped and greasy substances which will be made if I rub my finger on them making any cleaning effort on it impossible.

I'm wondering if there are headphones which are persistent to this problem of getting extremely greasy? or have been made such that cleaning procedure would be easy and without causing any damage to headphones?

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 9
I have a Philips SHP3000 (over ear) and after 2 years of using it, it has absorbed a lot of grease from my hairs. It's so much greasy that if I put it on a paper, the paper would get so much grease trails and stains in the places where earpads and headband were located on the paper. It would be greasy and stinky due to normal hair grease and the leather skin on the earpads and headband would get torn and peeled off, leaving a mess of tiny wick-shaped and greasy substances which will be made if I rub my finger on them making any cleaning effort on it impossible.

I'm wondering if there are headphones which are persistent to this problem of getting extremely greasy? or have been made such that cleaning procedure would be easy and without causing any damage to headphones?

Everyone's scalp produces a different amount of oil. There are a huge number of oil glands on the scalp and some people produce much more than others.I have a very minor version of your story. I produce some oil that gets on my ear pads, but not enough to damage them. I wonder if you might try using velour/cloth pads for awhile and see what happens. It's possible they could work better for you. Lastly, some shampoos can reduce oil accumulation, including those with selenium sulfide and ketoconazole.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 9

There is no greaseproof headphone apart from having non-absorbent materials. That means, at minimum, leather pads all around with constant wipe downs, but you might still get grease in some nooks and crannies, even on a Grado with cheap foam pads that you can easily toss out.

I'd sooner get into proper hair care that way you can prioritize the sound you prefer over greaseproofing. Don't use pomade and gel, or don't use the headphones when you have those products in your hair. Also change your shampoo - use something like Head and Shoulders Menthol. Maybe keep your hair shorter too. I sweat a lot on my head and face that back when I was in school all the way through university (and not all classrooms have A/C much less the hallways; the benches under the trees aren't any cooler either) and I at some point got so tired of daily shampoo use or constantly wiping sweat and fixing my hair that I've sported a haircut that my friends greet me "AVE, CAESAR!" for (or Roy Khan, if they're the ones with guitars stashed in the car).

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 9
  buzzcut

I've had a Roman haircut since I was 17 and I only have to shampoo twice a week (more than that and my hair gets dry and plasticky, regardless of length). Buzzcuts tend to make non-military personnel look like they wanted to join but couldn't and possibly for a psychiatric reason, so I avoid it (unless my Navy friend offers to save me fifteen bucks for a haircut by using his electric razor).

Friends greeting with "Ave, Caesar!" (well OK that's Marcus Antonius) got old sooner than one would think.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 9

Buzzcuts tend to make non-military personnel look like they wanted to join but couldn't and possibly for a psychiatric reason

Wow, first time that I read this one
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 9
  Buzzcuts tend to make non-military personnel look like they wanted to join but couldn't and possibly for a psychiatric reason, so I avoid it (unless my Navy friend offers to save me fifteen bucks for a haircut by using his electric razor).

Right wingnut and USMC Veteran here. Can confirm this!

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 9

Everyone's scalp produces a different amount of oil. There are a huge number of oil glands on the scalp and some people produce much more than others.I have a very minor version of your story. I produce some oil that gets on my ear pads, but not enough to damage them. I wonder if you might try using velour/cloth pads for awhile and see what happens. It's possible they could work better for you. Lastly, some shampoos can reduce oil accumulation, including those with selenium sulfide and ketoconazole.

Thanks for your reply. I should say that my skin oil doesn't damage the headphones, the process of cleaning does.
I guess the best approach for solving this issue would be showering more often and using some cloth if my skin is not dry and clean.

There is no greaseproof headphone apart from having non-absorbent materials. That means, at minimum, leather pads all around with constant wipe downs, but you might still get grease in some nooks and crannies, even on a Grado with cheap foam pads that you can easily toss out.

I'd sooner get into proper hair care that way you can prioritize the sound you prefer over greaseproofing. Don't use pomade and gel, or don't use the headphones when you have those products in your hair. Also change your shampoo - use something like Head and Shoulders Menthol. Maybe keep your hair shorter too. I sweat a lot on my head and face that back when I was in school all the way through university (and not all classrooms have A/C much less the hallways; the benches under the trees aren't any cooler either) and I at some point got so tired of daily shampoo use or constantly wiping sweat and fixing my hair that I've sported a haircut that my friends greet me "AVE, CAESAR!" for (or Roy Khan, if they're the ones with guitars stashed in the car).

Thanks for your great reply. I agree.

buzzcut

Not a good idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back