graphics card help
Aug 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought 2 x geforce 280 gtx for my computer. My computer runs amd athlon xp 1700+ and antec 550w. I saw a 6pin and 8 pin socket on the graphics card. I inserted a 6pin pci-e power connector from my power supply to the graphics card but the graphics card did not start up (graphics card fan didnt spin).

I wanted to put in another 8 pin power but there isnt such connector on my power supply.

My question is what are the likely problems??

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 32
No offense, but how much do you know about computers? Your computer is ancient, and the graphics card seems to be the only worthy component in your tower. Because of your poor CPU, you're going to be severely bottlenecked. Should have saved up and bought a whole new computer w/ a quad in it (i.e. Q6600).

EDIT: Is your computer a pre-built?

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 32
Aug 12, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 32
here's my comp specs:

amd athlon 1700+
msi k8n neo4 mobo (it has one PCI-E slot and my graphics card fits)
2gb memory ddr2
ati x1800xl

basically my comp does not give any signal to the monitor. So i guess its either my mobo or graphics card.

I bought new parts but i wanna swap them out piece by piece to know if its the mobo thats dead or graphics card thats dead.

first i swapped the graphics unit but all i see is evga geforce 280 gtx having some red light at the back but the fan isnt spinning and monitor still has no signal.

there is two 6 socket pin on my power supply and i plugged them into a (2 x 6 socket pin -> 8 pin) converter, which i plugged into the graphics card. the fan doesnt spin although the graphics card light powered on. Maybe i should swap out the power supply too? I got a antec 850 signature.

Im sorry im asking stupid questions but i've not touched computer hardware since my previous computer.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 32
I had a similar problem, with the red light and the "boot up" noise, but my graphics card wasn't showing anything. Apparently my motherboard was fried, and was only accepting power in certain sections.

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 32
If you have another power supply it wouldn't hurt to try it, thing is if you have an athlon 1700+ you are going to be seriously bottlenecked you wont be taking advantage of the 280 gtx... the rate it's going to be running it probably doesn't even need a working fan.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 32
First things first, you have one TOO MANY GTX280. You bought two, but you only have one PCI-E slot. Therefore, you have one card that is not able to be used.

Secondly, you need a NEW PSU. The current one you have is not enough to power one GTX280, don't even think about two. It's too old, and it doesn't have the proper connectors (one 8-pin, one 6-pin is needed).

Thirdly, your CPU is going to be a major bottleneck when using the videocards. It is too old and outdated.

If you know someone who is good with computers, have them help you out.

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 32
I know the bottleneck. I've already bought a asus 2 rampage extreme, 6gb ddr3 and core i7 920 and 2 hard disks and B-DR drive. I just wanna know if its my motherboard or graphics card that failed. Of course i was hoping its my graphics card that failed so i can at least buy a cheap graphics and reuse the old mobo and other components to assemble into another comp for my mum. I've already swapped out the power supply but its the same issue, graphics card has light but fan does not spin. Can I conclude its my mobo that failed then??

Another question is the 280 gtx power socket. Do i plug in a 6pin or a 8 pin or 6 pin + 8pin or 6 pin + 6pin which is converted to 8pin???

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 32
wth....this is why you go to Tomshardware or Hardforum for computer questions...

the 280 GTX box or manual will tell you what to use. i7 is a much better match. That's coming from building half a dozen PCs and an owner of the 920 too.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the bottleneck. I've already bought a asus 2 rampage extreme, 6gb ddr3 and core i7 920 and 2 hard disks and B-DR drive.

... if you already have those parts build the computer and try the graphics card in there... I don't know why your trying them in your old system, this is backwards...

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #15 of 32
Your card is more than likely not receiving enough power, since it requires two sources of power (6-pin and 6+2 pin). I tried booting my graphics (HD 4830) without the 6-pin, and while it did boot, I was not able to see anything. Memorize some keyboard sequences and see if you can restart or turn your computer off blind.

Yes, you use a 6-pin, and I think you use another 6-pin that has a 2-pin plug dangling out of it. Connect all three of them (6-pin to 6-pin, 6-pin to 8-pin, and 2-pin to 8-pin) to your 280 GTX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back