Graham Slee Voyager or Ibasso D2+
Sep 3, 2009 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DaeO

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I am looking to finally add a portable amp to my arsenal, and I have wittled it down to these two.

The DAC side of the D2+ is irrelevant to me - I only use my iPod for portable use.

Size isn't too much of an issue either, as I don't intend to use it jogging or anything!

I have read many views and reviews across the www, but no direct comparisions of these two.

Looking for any opinions of which one to go for

Thanks in advance

David

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 18
Well IMHO, if you are not using the DAC section, I see no point getting a D2+. After all, D2+ has a petty decent Wolfson chip in the DAC department, and the money you spent on that would largely be wasted.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by physiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well IMHO, if you are not using the DAC section, I see no point getting a D2+. After all, D2+ has a petty decent Wolfson chip in the DAC department, and the money you spent on that would largely be wasted.

X2. I think of the D2+ as a good DAC with a trivial amp. I'm pondering getting one for just the DAC, but getting it for just the amp isn't good bang-for-the-buck IMO.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. I think of the D2+ as a good DAC with a trivial amp. I'm pondering getting one for just the DAC, but getting it for just the amp isn't good bang-for-the-buck IMO.

Is the amp on D2 not that good? I am considering buying one amp recently, specifically either iBasso D2 or T4. As my on-board soundcard sounds pretty bad, I would probably go for a DAC/amp combo for both portable and laptop use.

D2 has a less power out than T4, about 2/3. But I have read one post by jamato that most headphones would be satisfied by a small fraction of the power an amp can supply. I want to hear someone talking sth. about D2 in comparison with T4.

A little confused and upset about this...

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 18
In reality, the D2+ should be good if you want a DAC, and the T4 should be good if you want an Amp. THe D2+ sounds good with IEMs from a DAP, but only get it if you are going to use the DAC function. The T4 is much smaller.

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for the notes on this! Have you had experience of using D2 with a full sized headphone?

I popped a question elsewhere, but no one responded. It might be a stupid one:
Is there a way to use the DAC section with a portable digital player?

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by physiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the notes on this! Have you had experience of using D2 with a full sized headphone?

I popped a question elsewhere, but no one responded. It might be a stupid one:
Is there a way to use the DAC section with a portable digital player?

There are devices to do digital out of an iPod (the most popular being the Wadia 170i), but they are expensive and not very portable. Most other DAP's don't do digital out.

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 18
I would definitely get a Graham Voyager. Just received mine about a week ago and its by far the warmest, cleanest and in my opinion the best potable Amp out there!!! if your are uk based you can arrange and try it out in different high end hi fi shops.

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 18
The Voyager is indeed a warm amp. It's very clean as well. But you won't get much improvement if you have an iPod as a source, I'm afraid. Only If you listen at low volumes and the iPod's digital attenuation becomes the bottle neck or if your phones are just that hard to drive..

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In reality, the D2+ should be good if you want a DAC, and the T4 should be good if you want an Amp. THe D2+ sounds good with IEMs from a DAP, but only get it if you are going to use the DAC function. The T4 is much smaller.

While I'm sure the T4 will be fine with my Grados, would the T4 be at good at powering higher impedance like Sennheiser HD650?

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I'm sure the T4 will be fine with my Grados, would the T4 be at good at powering higher impedance like Sennheiser HD650?

I haven't personally tried, and the responses will be mixed. I would buy a higher end Amp for those cans.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No. Best thing in iBasso line to drive that would be the P3+. Still, wait around until the OEM iBasso is released. IDK too much about it, but Jamato says it will be able to power full size headphones like home amps do, worth thousands more. Wont cost more than 4-4,5 hundred bucks

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Voyager is indeed a warm amp. It's very clean as well. But you won't get much improvement if you have an iPod as a source, I'm afraid. Only If you listen at low volumes and the iPod's digital attenuation becomes the bottle neck or if your phones are just that hard to drive..

ur absolutely right, i tried it with my ipod classic and it really wasn't that "good'. as for the senn hd 650 i do believe they will most likely need more power than the graham voyager or the d2+

electropop would you suggest any portable music player that pairs up nicely with the graham voyager? im currently using a m-audio dac at home but would like a portable player for commuting!

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 18
I owned two Voyagers (one high gain and one low gain). I found the iPod's sound improved when using a dock out. Although some portable amps can be used successfully w/ full size cans I would suggest a home amp would be the better option.

OP, since you are in the UK you could save yourself headaches by buying from Graham. Regardless of the amp maker if the amp ever needs repair shipping across the pond takes a good while and dealing w/ customs is even more of a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back