Graham Slee Novo vs. 4 other solid state amps
Feb 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #16 of 23
Novo has 72mW at 300ohm. That is more than enough. It also is designed with sennheiser in mind to be fair.
There is a fair price difference however between novo and gilmore lite. Perhaps slee solo SRG 500USD versus gilmore lite $450USD is a better match up and in that case I would go with solo. I haven't heard the latest solo, just an older one and I must admit I preferred it to the gilmore lite because it just sounded more realistic/organic. In that respect the novo is meant to sound very close to that older Solo I used so I would go novo.

Not sure whether the lite with DPS is better.

In short, for 300USD or so for the novo versus $400 for the gilmore lite I would go novo.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review.
I'm currently deciding which amp to choose as my first amp for HD650.
Between Novo and Gilmore Lite, which is more capable of matching and driving HD650? I've heard that the Novo is designed for lower impedance headphone so I'm not sure if it will have enough power for HD650.
Thanks.

Indeed: if you've decided for the HD650 the Novo is an excellent choice and it has more than enough power to drive them.
And yes, the Solo SRG with PSU1 should be a very capable amplifier and I really need to listen to that set-up one day...
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #20 of 23
Hi Zuqi, as far as I remember (been a while now), the novo worked fine with Grados (as does the solo btw). And I even think that Graham specifically designed the novo for use with low impedance phones in mind.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 23
thanks for the review two years ago...
i have the BCL, .... and a novo and a solo is on the market in my town..
decided to keep my BCL, and my dough$ after reading thru this thread.
yes, the BCL is an amazing DETAILED amp,
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #23 of 23
i have sinned against all logic....took in a NOVO from the orphanage,
and my golly was it ENJOYABLE...captivating to my ears,
the bite, the added warmth just slightly more than the refinedBCL.
Find it hard to unplug..defintely a fine fine amp at its price point.
(despite the cheaplooking power adaptor supplied)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back