Graham Slee "Green" Solo?
Apr 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

donlin

Headphoneus Supremus
This past Wednesday I bought a new Solo Monitor amp and am wondering if this is the new green version. The instructions say "The Solo is now RoHS compliant when used in Europe....It has been extensively tuned to retain the sonic qualities of the original Solo MC. In the process other qualities such as an improved "out-of-head" experience have resulted." The price was $999.00 instead of the usual $925.00. Initial impressions are that it sounds great.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This past Wednesday I bought a new Solo Monitor amp and am wondering if this is the new green version. The instructions say "The Solo is now RoHS compliant when used in Europe....It has been extensively tuned to retain the sonic qualities of the original Solo MC. In the process other qualities such as an improved "out-of-head" experience have resulted." The price was $999.00 instead of the usual $925.00. Initial impressions are that it sounds great.

I think the Green solo is different to what you have. If your not sure, contact Graham direct on his forum.
Graham Slee Forum

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Green solo is different to what you have. If your not sure, contact Graham direct on his forum.
Graham Slee Forum

No... it is not the "Green" version of the amp - it's the 2007 version of the amp. It is RoHS compliant, and has a green label on the bottom, but it is not the new "Green" version - which has not yet been released.

I have the same amp - I contacted Graham directly for the explanation.

However, all those who have heard both, report they can not hear a noticeable difference - though the new "Green" version will reportedly perform a bit better with a broader range of phones (presumably, with very low impedence phones, as well as high impedence phones). Though, it sounds equally great with my D5000s and HD580/600s. The primary difference is that it is more efficient, and can be driven equally well with the "SMPS" wallwart power supply, as the PSU1 power supply, which may no longer meet the requirements of the EU.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the information, that's exactly what I wanted to know! I share your high opinion of this amp. Sounds great with Grados and Senns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No... it is not the "Green" version of the amp - it's the 2007 version of the amp. It is RoHS compliant, and has a green label on the bottom, but it is not the new "Green" version - which has not yet been released.

I have the same amp - I contacted Graham directly for the explanation.

However, all those who have heard both, report they can not hear a noticeable difference - though the new "Green" version will reportedly perform a bit better with a broader range of phones (presumably, with very low impedence phones, as well as high impedence phones). Though, it sounds equally great with my D5000s and HD580/600s. The primary difference is that it is more efficient, and can be driven equally well with the "SMPS" wallwart power supply, as the PSU1 power supply, which may no longer meet the requirements of the EU.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the information, that's exactly what I wanted to know! I share your high opinion of this amp. Sounds great with Grados and Senns.

Yes... it's really hard to believe that such a seemingly simple amp can have such an incredible sound with both low and high impedence phones - whether compared to tube, or SS amps.

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 6
"RoHS compliant" means that lead free solder was used, etc. The "green amps" I think refer to the efficiency of the power supply; they are more efficient and thereby leave a smaller carbon footprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back