Grago Rs1's vs Sennheiser HD 600's
Jul 12, 2002 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Gradoguy

New Head-Fier
I tried both and thought that both are very good headphones but have enjoyed the Grado's more for these reasons:

More air and seperation between the instruments
more detail
the Sennheisers seemed more 2 dimensional: more like looking at a picture then sticking your head out a open window to be part of the scene.
better bass detail

I liked the comfort of the Grado's since the Sennheisers seemed like I put my head in a vise. The Grados are much lighter also.

I also like the wood. leather and steel of the Grados vs the plastic of the Sennheisers.

Just my 2 cents since both are excellent headphones. Please test them out before you buy. The price difference between the two of them is very large but in my case I thought the Grado's were worth it.

Best Regards,

Tom.

biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 23
Hi Tom.....welcome to Head-Fi! My findings regarding the two 'phones are almost identical to yours. But I'm interested in trying out those new replacemnt cables for the Senns, as others have posted that they make a dramatic improvement in the presentation of these classics. Thanks for the impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 23
The vise-grip effect of the HD-600's are supposed to go away in time, regardless, placing a book between them is supposed to help stretch them out a bit.

All grado's have the same qualities, in various amounts, depending on the amount spend. If you like grados, you'll love the RS-1. If not, you probably won't care for them. And isn't the headband of the HD-600's made out the carbon fiber stuff?

The stein's are smoother, while the grado's are brighter. It all depends on personal preferance

Also, what amp did you use in your testing?

Jul 12, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 23
Bright? try some cheap senns! The HD470 were torture compared to my SR60.
md

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 23
I like both RS-1 and SennHD600.
the RS-1 is more sensible in POP music and rock&roll while the HD600 is better in classical music,they are both wonderful cans.
I do not think RS-1 is bright.
Why someone say that is he chose a unsuitable headphone amp.
As I know ,for the RS-1 the low-impedence amp is more better than all-impedence amp.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...

That's not true, since the RS-1 is NOT bright! Have you heard them?

Hmmm... I owned them for about three weeks at one point. The only amp on which they did not seem bright to me was the RA-1. Other amps used were the SHA-1, ZOTL and X-Can v2.

Mind you, the RS-1/RA-1 combo sounded very good indeed!

Jul 12, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 23
I just joined team rs1 and I'm very happy with them. They definetly are not neutral sounding and they are great for rock. I find them bright with my current setup, but I think that is only because my amp and cd player are both bright.. their bass is more then I expected (I had only heard the sr60's before I got these). can't wait to upgrade some more equipment hehe.

Biggie.

Jul 12, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 23
I own and use both phones.I like them both a lot but use different phones and amps for different types of music.I like the Grado best for most modern jazz,rock and R&B but only with my Max or the RA1.The Senns sound best with classic jazz and R&B and most instrumental music and sound great with all my amps, especially the Wheatfield HA2.If you can swing both,do it.

Jul 12, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Gradoguy
the Sennheisers seemed more 2 dimensional: more like looking at a picture then sticking your head out a open window to be part of the scene

Love the analogy. Very accurate.

Welcome to Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 23
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I am using a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 Preamp with the Headroom module as my headphone amp. This module sets up a soundstage in front of you like speakers do. It comes with the amp and it does a very good job. It seems more realistic then the all around you feel of headphones through a standard amp.

I am using Straightwire Maestero interconnects.

I am using a 14 year old Mgnavox cd boombox as a source (I know this is my weak link but with 2 young kids and another main system, this will have to do until I can upgrade. I can wait to see what a real good source would sound like.

I would also love to see what the Grado RS1's would do with new wiring but I do hear that their wire is the best that comes as standard with headphones these days.

Has anyone done any mods on these cans or is everyone scared of screwing up the excellent sound?

Good Listening,

Tom.

Jul 13, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 23
I have rs-2's and I like the rs-1s alot w/ the flat pads

not bright... very smooth, warm liquidy

good from alot of sources, and I find comfortable

however...

the senn 600's I find were very comfortable as well with their velor pads

and upgradbable with the cables

and can have very intresting characteristics from different amps...

senn's are very detailed and I find smooth as well

I think they have much much better soundstage
than the grado's which is one edge that I think seperates it from the grado style line

grado's are very upfront presentation

Jul 13, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 23
Try listening to the following:
Arcam CD72T -> META42 w/ AD8610 -> Sennheiser HD600

And then tell me with a straight face that you think the Sennheisers are 2 dimensional...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back