Grados
Jun 5, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 13
typically good sound quality for price, and very energetic and fun to listen to.

*shrug*

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 13
Wow hobo your gonna end up like Lou if you keep this up lol. Anyway, Grados have a very forward presentation. Its like you're right there on stage with the band. They have a very tight bass impact. Although I have not listened to the SA1k they look super comfy. Grados to some people are very uncomfortable, but to me I think that they are fine.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
What's up with Grados? Why should I have gotten them over my SA1K? Are they more detailed? Can't be more comfortable. What is so great about them?

evil_smiley.gif
- Warning - Wiseass remark - Do not take offense -
evil_smiley.gif

Another reason that lots of people get Grados instead of SA1000s is because they are not SA1000s but instead they are Grados.
eek.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
What's up with Grados? Why should I have gotten them over my SA1K? Are they more detailed? Can't be more comfortable. What is so great about them?

Don't know.. I might get one too and see what's so great about them...
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 13
extremely dynamic. The quiet passages are very quiet and the loud ones are very loud. That was the real shocker to me, all my other cans sound so much flatter now by comparison ot my MS2. IMHO they are the most dynamic cans out there in their price range.

IMHO part of the reason people find grados fatigue is they are listening to them too (dam) loud. They crank the amp volume during quiet passages then when the guitar leads kick in with the rest of the band it fatigues. The first time I let both my brother and niece listen to my MS2 / PA2... dam... they had the things cranked to PC-speaker levels
eek.gif
eek.gif
I told thme to turn it down, let the dynamics soak into your ears.... listening to "nothing" can be as rewarding as listening to "something".

Garrett

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Good for rigs without amps. Used to like them a bunch. Moved on since!

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
extremely dynamic. The quiet passages are very quiet and the loud ones are very loud. That was the real shocker to me, all my other cans sound so much flatter now by comparison ot my MS2. IMHO they are the most dynamic cans out there in their price range.

IMHO part of the reason people find grados fatigue is they are listening to them too (dam) loud. They crank the amp volume during quiet passages then when the guitar leads kick in with the rest of the band it fatigues. The first time I let both my brother and niece listen to my MS2 / PA2... dam... they had the things cranked to PC-speaker levels
eek.gif
eek.gif
I told thme to turn it down, let the dynamics soak into your ears.... listening to "nothing" can be as rewarding as listening to "something".

Garrett

So are you saying that you think that people naturaly listen to Grados louder than they do other cans? Or is it that they listen to Grados just as loud as other cans, but that they are listening to all cans too loud and that the Grados have a tendency to fatigue more at said sound levels because of their forward nature during louder parts of the music?

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
So are you saying that you think that people naturaly listen to Grados louder than they do other cans? Or is it that they listen to Grados just as loud as other cans, but that they are listening to all cans too loud and that the Grados have a tendency to fatigue more at said sound levels because of their forward nature during louder parts of the music?

Probably both... IMHO the Grado dynamic rannge can fool you into listening to them too loud. I know I catch myself with them cranked up... then Im like... man what am I doing? But part of the problem is they sound so good, it begs you to turn it up.

Garrett

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Probably both... IMHO the Grado dynamic rannge can fool you into listening to them too loud. I know I catch myself with them cranked up... then Im like... man what am I doing? But part of the problem is they sound so good, it begs you to turn it up.

Garrett

Very interesting theory.
cool.gif

I deffinitly will have to do some Grado listening sometime soon & try and figure out if I feel that same pull towards the volume button with other cans. How cool would that be if Grados by their natural house sound caused people to listen to them at a certain volume level over and above other cans!
blink.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Very interesting theory.
cool.gif

I deffinitly will have to do some Grado listening sometime soon & try and figure out if I feel that same pull towards the volume button with other cans. How cool would that be if Grados by their natural house sound caused people to listen to them at a certain volume level over and above other cans!
blink.gif

IMHO the louder you crank em, the closer you get to the stage. Turn them up louder and you can reach a point where your IN the isolation booth with SRVs amp. They are the only cans that are dynamic enough to capture the subtle-ness of his picking style. IMHO everyone who owns Grados should acquire a good recording of his rendition of "Little Wing", a Hendrix classic. If you listen closely enough you can hear the slap of the string, with his fender tubes of glory adding their sparkle/sheen on top of the fundamental note. If you listen real close you can hear his amp hum in the background between notes, he had it cranked sooo loud.

Its a beautiful thing that all the guitar fans should experience IMHO.

Garrett

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 13
bottom line, Grado sound amazing. Yes they may be a little uncomfortable (with the stock bowl pads) but if you get some different pads, you simply cant beat grado quality. I have SR-125's, SR-60's, and my friend has SR-325i's, They are (in my opinion) top of the line.

Junkie,

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 13
I've learnt to lurve the bowls ...... I (tentitavely at first) stretched the headband and then ferociously stretched it. Now, those bowls kiss my ears.

Now the trouble is, I've been wearing them all day and my ears are knackered 'cos I just couldn't resist the urge to turn them up.

They are very dynamic and sound clean at loud volume too - it's just that I need a break from headphones after making a pig of myself .......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back