grados worth the price?
Jul 2, 2005 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
i have never heard grados until yesterday. i started an internship at the university of california-irvine and i decided to drop by the university bookstore. lo and behold, they actually have a good headphone collection. HD280s, HD202s, PX200s, some koss phones, and the SR80. i wanted to demo the 80s, but they only had 60s with comfies for testing. my impression of the 60s was not actually that great. at half volume on an ipod photo, they seemed underwhelming and weak, whereas my HD497s are smooth and deep even at 1/3 volume or less.could these be the great sr60s that headfiers rant about? however, the SR80s were $79, and from what i understand, that is a pretty good deal. even though the 60s disappointed me, the price was quite intriguing. i'm toying with the idea of just splurging for them. would i be disappointed?

Jul 2, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 12
but then wouldnt they be suffering from a lack of burn in?

Jul 2, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the info b-sides. I never knew they carried Grados there. I live nearby and am a UCI alumnus.

I wish I was still a student there so that I could throw a pair of Grados in with my textbook order and stick my parents with the check.
rs1smile.gif

"Dad, they're for school. I need them."

That is a pretty good deal on the SR80's. How much were the SR60's?

Jul 2, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
but then wouldnt they be suffering from a lack of burn in?

That's very true. But, what I am trying to say is that sometimes it is wise to buy from stores that have return policies if you don't like them.

Jul 2, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Personally, I don't think the comfies sound all that great on my SR 60s. I changed the pads to some thinnner ones, though, and now all that thumpy, luscious bass is thwaping me against the head
basshead.gif
. And I still get to keep those sparkly highs. Now I can say that these 'phones rock! If I were you, I'd buy the SR 80s and get some Ratshack or Senneiser pads, or do the comfy squash mod- I really don't think you'd be underwhelmed by their sound then.

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
i have never heard grados until yesterday. i started an internship at the university of california-irvine and i decided to drop by the university bookstore. lo and behold, they actually have a good headphone collection. HD280s, HD202s, PX200s, some koss phones, and the SR80. i wanted to demo the 80s, but they only had 60s with comfies for testing. my impression of the 60s was not actually that great. at half volume on an ipod photo, they seemed underwhelming and weak, whereas my HD497s are smooth and deep even at 1/3 volume or less.could these be the great sr60s that headfiers rant about? however, the SR80s were $79, and from what i understand, that is a pretty good deal. even though the 60s disappointed me, the price was quite intriguing. i'm toying with the idea of just splurging for them. would i be disappointed?

As a person who used HD497s exclusively for over a year with a mediocre source, I must say that I prefer their sound over the SR60 (with either comfies or TTVJ flats) unamped, out of that source. It's pretty subjective. I'm now using HD555s with an amp, which is a huge improvement to my ears, but I'm looking into getting one of the higher end Grados for some variety. I think if you got SR80s but not an amp, it would be more of a lateral move. The sound quality would be an improvement, and you would get a different sound signature, but perhaps not enough of an improvement for you to not feel disappointed. You already have passable headphones, so you should probably consider saving up a bit more and going for a larger upgrade... you'll save money in the long run if you anticipate wanting another upgrade in the future. Perhaps buying/building an inexpensive amp would be the best route to go for now.

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 12
Apparently the iPod's are nasty at driving low Z headphones. Grados are low Z headphones. This is likely the main reason. Not anywhere near the proper output current for them. I don't mind the sound at all, but I do prefer the Koss KSC 35's with the iPod Photo (they have a Z of 75 I think, vs. the 32 of the SR60 and 80's.)

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Apparently the iPod's are nasty at driving low Z headphones. Grados are low Z headphones. This is likely the main reason. Not anywhere near the proper output current for them. I don't mind the sound at all, but I do prefer the Koss KSC 35's with the iPod Photo (they have a Z of 75 I think, vs. the 32 of the SR60 and 80's.)

Why don't you use the Ps-1's? Bung on a few flat pad and *BAM* ear thumping fun
basshead.gif

Or have you gone R-10 on me?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 12
IMHO Yes theyre worth the price... IMHO theyre the only cans (at least that I have heard) that are dynamic enough to correctly replicate guitar tones. Quiets are ultra quiet... louds are in your face - blistering. Its like sitting in front of your amp, on axis to the cabinet with power tubes pushed to overdrive.

IMHO every grado owner should hear SRVs rendition of "Little Wing"... its like sitting in SRVs isolation both... its THAT good. Listen closely and you can hear the 60 Hz hum of his power tubes in the background.

MS2 and SR225 are my faves of the lineup.

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Why don't you use the Ps-1's? Bung on a few flat pad and *BAM* ear thumping fun
basshead.gif

Or have you gone R-10 on me?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, well when on the bus, I won't whip out the big heavies! But at school or work, oh yeah, PS-1's it is baby! I feel they are just what the doctor ordered for the iPod's very flat and rather anemic bass response.
smily_headphones1.gif

R10's? Oh come on! NEVER!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back