Grados Vs ?? in Rock
May 23, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
Suggestion to differentiate the SR-60s from your iBuds: listen to the Grados for two weeks straight, and go back to the iBuds. I guarantee you that you'll notice a difference.

true...its all relative to something else. If you get familiar with Grados (or whatever sound sig. you're trying), and then throw yourself back to iBuds or somethin', wow! you'll know the diff. Have fun!

May 23, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
$99 direct from Alessandro's website. Shipping times are a hit or miss, though.

well is there a cheaper place I can get Alessandro's for.. cuz I got my Grado's for $69...

May 23, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #18 of 27
Also if I cant find any other place to get cheaper Alessandro's, is it worth it to be the 21$ difference between the SR-60 and the MS-1?? Are Alessandro's really that much more improved over the Grado Sr-60?

May 24, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 27
if i were u id just save up some money then sell ur sr60's and grab the sr225 (used) for about $130 and avoid any more upgraditis until u feel the need to get some woodies
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narius
if i were u id just save up some money then sell ur sr60's and grab the sr225 (used) for about $130 and avoid any more upgraditis until u feel the need to get some woodies
very_evil_smiley.gif

this is for my dad

May 24, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl
well is there a cheaper place I can get Alessandro's for.. cuz I got my Grado's for $69...

69 is new price, and all grado dealers have STRICT price control policies. I would personally buy used.

May 24, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
69 is new price, and all grado dealers have STRICT price control policies. I would personally buy used.

Is it worth it to pay the price difference?

May 24, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyA**Sucka
How about the Alessandro MS1 or AKG K81DJ !? Both of these cans seriously rock!!

yup. you need to tell us a price range. if he's willing to bump it up a bit, get him the ms-1's. of course i'd tell you to get a little amp and a decent source as well.

but, i'll tell you my opinion of grados (many would disagree): that the sr60 IS THE sweet spot. i just tested some hf-1's and though they're better: airier, clearer, more-rounded and musical, the difference was SLIGHT to my ears. IMHO i'd just get another pair of sr60's or sell him yours or something. perhaps getting into the rs-1's is a huge difference (havne't heard them), but doesn't seem like you want to spend that much.

i did also have a pair of ms-1's, and they were indeed better, but again to me a slight difference. and that's with an emu0404 and a solid opa637-pimeta. if you're talking about some cdplayer with headphone jack or a computer onboard sound i'd tell you that you're WAISTING your money to get anything more than sr60; and the k81dj could be a very cool choise: in fact i'd love to hear you compare the two of them, but i digress; the differences between the grado's with a crappy source and no amp will be minimal at best. the sr60's are good at making crappy sources groove-able, and if he wants to ever transition to mid-fi you can start thinking about nad cdp's, emu sound cards, little amps, and all that good stuff; and then perhaps you'll move up in headphone quality. don't think the headphones are all that matter. many folks make that mistake with crappy sources ridiculously outclassed by their phones. garbage-in, garbage-out.

good luck, and sorry about y'all's wallets

May 25, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porksoda
I've had Senn HD-25-1's for a few months now, and I gotta be honest they are dang good for rock. They've got the mid-bass punch of the grados, but the low end extends a lot deeper. The highs are a bit recessed though. I've found they sound better at high volume whereas grados sound better at moderate volumes.

really? i've been continually dissapointed with closed phones. and since he's not talking portable.....? but then again, i need to try some k81dj's to see if they're just hype or not. i'd be amazed if they could match an open sr60, and very pleased.

May 25, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
easy...

MS1 Smoother, warmer and IMHO easier to listen to than either the 60 or 80.
Garrett

but perhaps not as groovy? i actually found the ms-1 more fatiguing than sr60, but it was awhile ago so take that with a grain of salt.

regardless you can't really go WRONG with ms-1. it's a solid choice no doubt.

May 25, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl

well then you overpayed
smily_headphones1.gif
got my sr60's used on headfi for $40 shipped, and no tax. used, but pretty mint. what i'm saying is: if you can go used keep checking the for-sale listings here. if you're paranoid about ear-wax, shell out the $100 at all's website.

but if he loves your sr60's why screw with it? just get another pair. OR BETTER YET, let him do the finding himself. i personally find buying stuff for other to be a HUGE PITA. if he doens't like them he blames it on you? just IMHO. i used to help people buy laptops, and i've given it up to retain my sanity. if you're consulting for him he should pay you. no i'm not kidding. if it's a gift then just grab some used sr60's for yourself and give him yours or something.....ok, i'll shut up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back