Grados Vs ?? in Rock
May 21, 2006 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

sinafl

Head-Fier
Well, I just got my Grado Sr-60's and although I can barely tell the difference between them and apple earbuds (Im beginning to tell the difference as I am not listening to the buds anymore) my dad LOVES THEM!!! He wants a pair of Grado's himself. I am whondering if I should go and give him the SR-80's (because I heard that the SR-80's are alot better than the SR-60's), or is there another pair of cans for rock music in that price range which has better sound quality??

May 21, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl
Well, I just got my Grado Sr-60's and although I can barely tell the difference between them and apple earbuds (Im beginning to tell the difference as I am not listening to the buds anymore) my dad LOVES THEM!!! He wants a pair of Grado's himself. I am whondering if I should go and give him the SR-80's (because I heard that the SR-80's are alot better than the SR-60's), or is there another pair of cans for rock music in that price range which has better sound quality??

that opinion of one vs the other is subjective.some like the sr60 better while others prefer the sr80s sound.

May 21, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 27
Since this thread is running, would someone care to explanicateify the differences between the two models. I plan to go Grado later this year and Ill be buying one of the two.

May 21, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 27
AFAIK the only differences are that the SR80 comes with bowl pads instead of comfies and the wire is different. 4 strand on the 80s vs 3 on the 60s? I know it's 4 instead of 3 but I'm not sure what it's 4 of
mad.gif

Let the SR60s burn in, mine took a few days but they grow on you quickly. After they have about 50 hours on them listen to your favorite album then try it with the ibuds
wink.gif

May 21, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 27
I have owned both but I am no expert in headphone listening.

Here are the audiophile differences:

SR80 has better, more detailed bass. But needs an amp so that the mids do not seem muddy.

SR60 is a great entry model but has less detailed bass.

Here are my differences:

Preferred the SR80 for a lot of music except for simple ballads lead by women. Simple ballads sparkled more in the SR60s - probably because the bass was muddying up the vocals. Again this was all without an amp.

I would reco the SR60 as upgraditis will hit you anyway and you would probably buy the SR225 as the SR80 would not remedy your upgraditis.

May 21, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 27
Suggestion to differentiate the SR-60s from your iBuds: listen to the Grados for two weeks straight, and go back to the iBuds. I guarantee you that you'll notice a difference.

May 22, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl
or is there another pair of cans for rock music in that price range which has better sound quality??

How about the Alessandro MS1 or AKG K81DJ !? Both of these cans seriously rock!!

May 22, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 27
I've had Senn HD-25-1's for a few months now, and I gotta be honest they are dang good for rock. They've got the mid-bass punch of the grados, but the low end extends a lot deeper. The highs are a bit recessed though. I've found they sound better at high volume whereas grados sound better at moderate volumes.

May 22, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 27
I have the MS-1s also, so I would be pleased to 2nd that recomendation!
It can be argued that the sound of the MS-1 is not "better" than the sr-60 or 80; just different: More analytical and neutral.

Your Dad, sinafl, may like the MS-1s as well. I used to be a stage-1 Dad myself! Now I'm stage-3; shucks, I've got grandkids older than some of Y'all!!

May 22, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 27
I'd agree with everyone else here. Unless you're on a crazy budget then go for the SR-60s unless you want more bass. If you can spring it the MS-1s are great value cans and won't dissapoint.

May 23, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 27
the problem is that the MS-1's arent on amazon.. ;(.. is there a place where I can get it on sale?? Thanks for the responses guys!!! Also are these headphones going to be better than the SR-60.. because I LOVE THESE HEADPHONES NOW.. and if the MS-1 is better.. i might have 2 give my dad the SR-60's and get a MS-1
wink.gif
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back