grados sr-325 (new model) vs sr-225 vs something else?
Jan 19, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #138 of 257
Well fryssux ran the new 325s for the last 20 hours and we had another listen. He ran them at pretty low volume, but I would expect that they are getting there. They seem to have lost a bit of presence in the mid range. This makes them seem brighter even though they're probably not. They are closer to the old 325s now, but definatly still better than the 225s not just in the detail department but also being that they are less bright. The bass level has stayed about the same. The imaging has pulled back, and is more transparent now. I wonder if the drivers match better now that they are breaking in. This imaging is definately one of the things I love about the grado sound. I'm thinking the imaging may be a cause of the mids sounding a bit more relaxed and pulled down. They are smoother and less harsh now, but if your going to be listening to music that is punishing with the treble, your still gonna want to turn the volume down. This is in contrast to the RS-1s where I don't want to touch the volume, although I'd probably already have them turned to a lower level due to the increased detail. I was going to go out and buy a pair of 325s to use with my portable this weekend, so I don't have to worry about breaking/loosing the RS-1s... But for now I'll keep using my RS-1s. I will probably still buy the 325s, in time. I hope that the break in isn't over and that they get a bit more mids out or the highs fade a bit. But I'm probably just wanting for them to sound exactly like the RS-1s. Either way this is still a great sounding set, grado has made an improvement in their metal housed setup, if you close your eyes
orphsmile.gif
. Hope some other people have a listen and post their thoughts. Esp. someone who has the grey ones, or ms2s.

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #139 of 257
I can't take it anymore! The only reason for me not rushing to buy a new 325 was to wait for a new ms-2 as well, seems like it's already out. The cans looks so much better in silver but I'm curious as to which will sound better to most people this time around, 325 or ms-2. I'll email alessandro later about getting a pair of the new type anyway, a tweaked 325 thats a tweaked 325 is sounding too good to not be impatient!

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #140 of 257
alright need some serious advice..... i'm ordering one these two models TODAY the new gold version sr325 from decibel or the sr225 that has been highly regarded as being the better then the older 325 what's my best bet!!!!

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #142 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by emadgin
alright need some serious advice..... i'm ordering one these two models TODAY the new gold version sr325 from decibel or the sr225 that has been highly regarded as being the better then the older 325 what's my best bet!!!!

Well, it's all a matter of preference. Personally, I prefer the old 325 over the 225. I have a feeling though that when the smoke clears, all the burning in is done, and some additional opinions are offered, the consensus will be that the new 325's don't sound much different from the old ones.

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #143 of 257
thanks..... i'm gonna go with the 225's for now as they will be my first grados so i'm thinking that's a better choice to start off with

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #145 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by kasra
Well there seems to be Alessandro MS-2´s out there with the new fatto-style housing ! Check this ebay auction!
eek.gif

Alessandro is supposed to get a new batch early next week, wonder what type they gonna deliver
confused.gif

I really like the old slimmed housings better
rolleyes.gif
... but if these are better, why not
600smile.gif

eek.gif
I preferred also the old style more...

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #146 of 257
If I order a MS-2 direct from the Alessandro website today would I get the classical model or the fatboy.

It doesn't seem like there are newer ones in Australia atm, I would already have some in my hands otherwise. That's how impatient I am!

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #147 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by radicaltothemax
Here's somepicks of the MS-2s

AAARGHHH I want a MS-2 Fat Boy so bad! I felt the old MS-2 already gave the "elite" grados a run for their money - and if the bigger housings mean more bass - but actually improves detail due to new drivers - argh I wanna hear one! The only thing I miss in my SR200 is the bassy fun factor of the John Grados - and if the MS-2 can deliver that plus more, and get somewhat close to the detail of the HP-1000 john grados...argh!

Jan 19, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #150 of 257
I am going to go audition these tonight at Decibel (about 1/4 mile from my house). I'm going to take my 225's with me to hear the difference. I've never heard the "old" 325's only the 60's, 80's, 225's, rs-1, ps-1. They said their "new" 325's only have about 10 hours on them...something to keep in mind. I'll report back later on tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back