Grado's really good with organ music
Feb 20, 2008 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

VolkswagenFox

100+ Head-Fier
I think so. I used to live in a small city in Germany, as a kid, which had two historic churches, both of which had organs. Well, I recently found some CDs my dad had purchased a long time ago, which featured music played on those organs. I listed to the CDs with MS-1, and I was really impressed. I think the intimate soundstage of Grados really fit organ music well. It really sounded like I remembered from back then. The only thing missing was the rumbling bass these organs can give off. So, what kind of headphones do you guys and girls listen with when listening to this kind of music, and what do you prefer? Broad soundstage, or something more upfront?

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 24
As a huge pipe organ fanatic and probably the only other one you'll find around here, I can echo your opinion. I have the HF-1's with flat pads myself which have quite a bit more bass than the MS-1's and are a better headphone overall, but the MS-1's are still great. They have a similar tonal balance, I would say, which I prefer.

I've tried Sennheiser HD600's, HD650's with organ music and they just can't do it for some odd reason. Being how effective they are in a classical environment you would think it would transfer over to organ music, but organs just seem to sound dull through them, much like much of my other music.

The best headphone I've ever heard do organ music is the DT880. I am planning to buy a pair in the future solely for that reason. They offer more soundstage than the Grados and their tonal balance is more neutral. They also offer a very full mid-to-bottom end, so the 32's really rumble away. Very thrilling for organ music. It's a pity they don't do rock half as well as Grados, IMO.

What kind of organ music do you listen to, anyway? In terms of organists, I'm a big fan of Virgil Fox, and in terms of organs, anything from France will do nicely, thanks. :contrabombardesmile:

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a huge pipe organ fanatic and probably the only other one you'll find around here...

Have you ever heard of the "Soundhound Organ CD" ?

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 24
For organ music, the king could well be the D2000 / D5000. They go deep and clean better than anything else I've heard. The D2000's are pretty good, except for the colored mids.

The DT880's aren't bad, but they present too much upper pitch mixture tone. The K701 isn't bad either. Neither of these two hold a candle to the Denons.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of organ music do you listen to, anyway? In terms of organists, I'm a big fan of Virgil Fox, and in terms of organs, anything from France will do nicely, thanks. :contrabombardesmile:

I just started listening organ music, (which is a nice change from trash and death metal I might add.
biggrin.gif
) so I don't really have any favourites yet. I'm planning to go to my local library, where they have a bunch of CDs and I'll borrow some of those and see what I like. I'll see if they have any from Virgil Fox. Do you have any other recommendations?

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GS1000, try it.

A friend of mine who is a classical church musician and organ fanatic has a pair GS1000's. He claims they are the only headphone he's tried that really captures the bigness of a live organ. That's saying a alot.

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 24
My dad is an organist, and so I grew up assisting him on many concerts, I still do occasionally.

There is something very special about huge organs that has always fascinated me. The smell of the wooden 32 foot subbass pipes in my dad's present church organ brings back memories of when I was nine years old, sitting with my dad a sunday practicing until late in the evening.

Headphone listening can never make a live organ justice of course, but I'll second that the GS-1000 really make those deepest organ notes come to life.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 24
I agree to the OP.. If any of you know Joss Stone's earlier records, many of them use organs because it tended to the Soul/Gospel side of genre (now she's off to the Rhythm & Blues side).. However, this is just simple organ sounds, nothing like the super deep bass notes or anything..

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 24
Well, this thread inspired me and last night I decided to pump Bach's Toccata and Fugue through my trusty RS-1s... wow. I was having eargasms left, right and centre. I can only dream of how things would sound through the GS-1000s!

Can anyone recommend any particularly great examples of the organ itself? I'm not too picky on the material (I am a Bach fanatic, FWIW), but the organ is easily one of my favourite instruments and I'd like to start collecting some of the best recordings of the instrument available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back