Grado's or Alessandro's with new pads
May 29, 2005 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
I know this has been discussed many times over, but I could not find all of the information I want in one place, so forgive me for repeating.

I was considering upgrading my Senn HD-590 to something like the HD-595, but I have not been able to audition a broken in pair of 595's yet, so I thought I would consider Grado's/Alessandro's as an alternative. Here is my question:

Given a budget of 150 to 200 dollars, what would be the best (most bang for the buck) combination of Grado's (SR-60 or 80)/Alessandro MS-1 and accesories?

I value comfort very highly (just below sound quality), so in either case, I would like to upgrage the headphone to use either very comfy on ear pads, or circumaural pads (similar to what my HD-590's have). I would much prefer the circumaural pads, and would be willing to pay extra for them. I listen to rock music exculsively (everything from pop rock to really heavy stuff). I am looking for something brighter and more aggressive that my HD-590's, and I do have a small amp (HeadRoom Airhead) that I can use.

I have looked at the C-pad upgrade from Headphile (Zeta flat or port), and one or two comfy/custom pads for grado's. Do any of these mods fit on the Alessandro MS-1's? How about the Senn 414 pads? Do they require an adapter to fit on the Grado's/Alessandro's?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice. Please be specific, and whenever possible, include a website where I can find the accesories you mention.
600smile.gif

May 30, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 12
weather you get alessandros or grados there both gonna feel the same on your head. However, if you have a budget of about $200. I'd recommend saying up for the grado 225's. They run about $250. It's a bit more as far as price, but since sound quality is your #1 concern, I dont think that you'll be disappointed.

For comfort, I'd go with the grado comfies. They run about $10, and sound about they same as flat pads if you cut a quarter sized whole in the middle of each.

I recommend www.toddthevinyljunkie.com

Hope I helped

May 30, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 12
junkie, the SR225's are ~$200 USD.

dag, the Senn 414 pads don't require an adapter. They fit on all of the Grados you listed just like they were made for them. People recommend these for the slight sound improvements they make for the Grados (with the vwap mod), not so much for their comfort, though they aren't bad. But I feel the "comfies" that come with the SR60 and MS-1 are slightly more comfortable.

I think if you're willing to spend the extra money that the options from headphile are your best bet for comfort. Particularly if you crave the feel of your 590's which are reputed as one of the most comfortable headphones around.

You can also try improving the comfort by adding a headband from the Beyer DT770 which fits right over the Grado headband. Another option is the HD580 headband pad from Sennheiser, although you have to glue it or use double sided tape for that one.

May 30, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 12
borat, how much do those senn, pads cost?

And can you give me a link?

gradojunkie

May 30, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 12
gradojunkie

The HD-414 pads can be found here : http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=019545

If the link does not work, go to www.sennheiserusa.com. Click on shop, and then parts. Select the HD-414 and choose cushions. They cost about $4 before shipping. While you are there, pick up a set of Senn earbuds (I have the MX400's). They are cheap, and generally better than any earbuds that come with portable players.

May 30, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 12
The c-pads from headphile are definitely the most comfortable pads ever for grados. Unfortunately, they cost about as much as the ms-1's. They also take off some of the high end, which could be good or bad, depending on your preference (I liked it at first, but eventually started to miss the bowl sound). You could also get some beyer pads and stick them on top of the bowls. It's not as fancy or secure, but they are comfortable and add some soundstage (thanks stevieo)

btw I use the bowls with mine, and while I am ok with them, they aren't anywhere near as comfortable as my 595's. I don't think I could do extended listening with them without some breaks.

May 30, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 12
will the senn 414 pads (w/ holes) and comfort pads (also w/ holes) sound similiar?
which will sound better, and which will be more comfortable?

May 30, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 12
I find the modified HD414 pads to be a good bit more comfortable than the "comfies" (modded or not). They sound great, too.

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 12
I appreciate all of the adivce I have gotten in this and other threads. I have come to a series of decisions and here is my shopping list:

1 pair of Grado SR-60's ($69 from HeadRoom)
1 pair of Senn MX 450 ($17.95 from Headroom; to replace the pathetic iPod earbuds)
1 pair of HD-590 pads (I have decided to keep my HD-590's for now, and the pads are 3 1/2 years old)
1 pair of Grado bowl pads (since the SR-60's come with flat pads)
2 pairs of HD-414 pads (one for modding)
1 HD-580 headband pad (which I will glue or tape onto the SR-60 headband)

So far I am about $150 into this endavor. It may get more expensice (see below) but if it does, I will probably sell my HD-590's with the brand new pads.

Now, let me tell you the reasons I went with the Grado's.

1. I have head Grado's in stores before and was pleased with their sound, esspecially with loud rock music.
2. The SR-60 are often refered to as "the best headphone for use without an amp". Since I use my iPod directly as a source, this fits in well with my usage profile.
3. The SR-60's are cheap ($69 brand new is a great price for good headphones).
4. There are a number of upgrades I can make to the Grado's to improve thier comfort. If I find that I really enjoy the sound, I will buy the C-pads from Headphile and drift off in decadent comfort (although I think they look kinda silly).

Thanks again, and happy listening to everyone. :
rs1smile.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 12
you really aren't going to be happy with those bowl pads. they hurt like hell. the headphile c-pads in alpha configuration (or whatever the new name for them is) will give you the best comfort, plus ease in transition from the Senn sound. If you got those pads and an MS-1, and didn't buy all the rest, you're still under 200.

Jun 3, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 12
I went with the Grado's because for better or worse, I want the real Grado's. I know the Allesandros are based on the Grado's and may even be better, but I really want the entry level phone with lots of accesories. I can always sell the Grado's after I have figured out what set of accesories I like best. At that point I would probably want a significant upgrade such as the SR-225's or MS-2's. So I will start saving tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back