Grados in public....
Jul 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #16 of 43

Quote:
and the fact they stick half a mile out your head. I can't stand isolated headphones I like to hear what's going on around me and I skateboard so I need to hear my board rolling ect. It's unnatural because if you was listening to speakers you'd still hear the enviroment around you (Unless you cranked them right up)

I wear large cans around when I'm in the street.  I even wore the D7000 in public.  A friend asked me if I was doing air traffic control in Manhattan.

I would be more worried about taking a spill while skateboarding and damaging the cans' housing.  I can't remember how many injuries I racked up when I used to skateboard.

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 43
Haha my friend said I looked like someone out of E.T. If they stayed on my head like my HD650 then it would be alright because I don't land on my head when I fall off (touch wood).

After using the 650 for over a year and now trying Grado for the first time they sound so in your face! I couldn't listen for them too long like the 650s but they sure are fun to put on and delve right into a song, it really throws the instruments at you.

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 43

I have to agree that wearing Grados in public would ruin the sound. I tried it once and it sounded terrible. All the ambient noise just crippled the music. Even at louder volume levels.

I have to disagree.  I've worn my Grados everywhere.  The only places where the ambient noise causes problems are where it's really loud or where there's a low rumble that cancels out the bass.  I wouldn't wear my Grados on a bus, a plane or at a construction site.  I wouldn't wear them where there's loud music playing (been there, done that).  But practically everywhere else, Grados sound great outside.  I wear them when I take walks, when I'm taking my daughter to the park, when I'm skateboarding, etc.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #19 of 43
Yeah I agree I wear them at work doing gardening it's fine. Tried wearing them whilst strimming but that aint so good...

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #20 of 43
Yeah, I wore them at the pool while watching my daughter take her swimming lessons.  With just the soundcard off my computer, I immersed myself in sweet tunes.  I don't remember if I could hear the splashing and other bits of ambient noise.  I didn't have to have them up very loud to get lost in tunage.  There was this jazz piece, from fifty years ago, recorded either in mono or some dinosaur version of stereo.  What I remember was the brass section.  The texture sold it.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 43
I often wear my Grado and ipod when I walk my dog. I use the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter that came with phones.
The only problem I have is the length of the cable being a bit too long.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #24 of 43
Well it depends where you live.  In the suburbs, you wont have much to worry about. Cities, however, can be quite loud.  Subways especially.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #25 of 43

Quote:
can you really hock an ipod up to a grado? would it work if you got an adapter for an rs2?

I hook my SR225i's up to my iPod Touch all the time. I like to sit in the backyard enjoying an adult beverages and taking in a bit of the outside world (or at least when weather permits).

An iPod drives them fine. Not as well as a dedicated amp, but, certainly more portable. I like to use the Grado 1/4-to mini-adapter to make the connection. Reduces the strain on the iPod jack that other convertors put on the jack.

While it is not intended for serious listening, the open nature of the Grado's make it easy to take in the outside as well. Gives a different perspective to the sound. You are not totally cut off from the world, rather, if flows through with the sound. It's a nice experience on a pretty day. As long as the wind is somewhat down and the neighborhood is not rock'n too hard.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #27 of 43
I also listen to my MS-Pro and/or HF-2 almost anywhere and every time I find a lull in my daily routines, to the point that I've become somewhat immune to all them weird stares and double takes already. It's really a nice comfort to know that I'm not alone.

Aural sex on the fly!
L3000.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #28 of 43

can you really hock an ipod up to a grado? would it work if you got an adapter for an rs2?

Yes and yes.  I've been using my iPod as my portable source for years.  It's easier than carrying around a pocket amp, especially when so many pocket amps just don't cut it.  The Grados are easy to drive (low impedence, high sensitivity).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back