Grado's biggest mistake
Jan 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

beez

100+ Head-Fier
is not including flat pads with every headphone.

I can't even imagine how much more they would sell, especially to the younger generation if they did this. Most people who own grados don't even bother to try out flats because they cost $35. Just a piece of foam but the switch to flats made more of a difference than any dac, amp, cable, or source change. bass hits hard and everything sounds more full. most things that people complain about regarding grados are solved by flat pads (other than soundstage).

This is just my opinion obviously. Grado headphones i've owned- sr60, black sr325, rs1i. i've tried bowls, comfies, 414s with all my grados. thought it'd be nice to spark a pad discussion as i think flats are very overlooked, especially with the low models such as the sr60.

grado is my favorite sound, other good headphones i've owned: senn hd600, hd650, senn ie8, darth beyers, stax srs005

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 17
but,,,,,flat pads cant give you the crystal clear sound...

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 17
i think that to newcomers to good audio, yea the crystal clear sound may be initially "wow", and when quickly swapping back and forth the flats may sound muddy, but the more full lush sound to me is just so much more natural and impactful. the bowls just always seem empty and hollow sounding, bass notes that are supposed to hit and slam just dont. i guess it comes down to a matter of taste but i think not enough people even try them when theyre the pad that grados were originally designed and shipped with... i think its how theyre "supposed to" sound

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 17
  I would love to try flats but on top of the 35$ i would have to pay 41$ for shipping. -_-

keep a look out on the fs forum, sometimes they pop up and you can snag a pair for like $20 - $25

Quote:
Can you compare them to reversed bowls? To clarofyr, this would mean the bowl side is facing away from the ears.

i know some people think they're pretty much the same but to me its not really close. something about the reversed bowls just never felt or sounded right. reversed bowls and flats are more similar than normal bowls and flats though. flats are the most comfortable because they rest completely flat against the ear. 

i do also like reversed hd414 pads and sometimes switch those in. plus i think the yellow looks cool against the black grado. 
gs1000.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 17
I love tuning my grado's. I put the sennheiser yellow ear pads for 414 on then soften a pair of L grado pads to reverse them overbthe 414. Now I'm playing with putting a strip of schotch tape around the L pads. A cheap way to develop my music passion as I patiently figure out where to best put my limited funds. The grados have proven such a good value I'm saving for a pair of ps500. Would the G pads over ear of the ps1000 work withsr80i's

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 17
Where do you get flats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back