Grados And Classical
Sep 6, 2009 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

astroman302

New Head-Fier
Would Grado Rs1is sound good with classical? I know their strong points are rock, jazz, etc...

Anyway, how would they sound?

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 31
Im sure they would sound great with classical. Just don't expect a soundstage as large as something like the DT880, K701, or AD700/AD900. Separation should be excellent though. My MS-1 handles classical surprisingly well so Id expect the RS-1 to be even better. I actually pick the MS-1 over the AD700 for classical at times depending on my mood.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 31
What have you tried? Why Grado?

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 31
I owned the RS-1 for about three years and am a huge classical fan.

Grados don't work with classical. At all.

Grados are voiced to do well with rock. They've got a few bumps in the response curve that make them sound great with electric guitars and bass. Those do not translate well to classical.

If you want your classical to sound good, you want a neutral headphone with great resoultion and transparency. Classical is usually recorded much, much better than other genres. You'll want exceptional headphones to allow you to hear that - resolution and transparency pay off.

The frequency bumps in a Grado don't correspond with much in the orchestra - they make the coloration stick out rather than enhancing an electric guitar.

Note: this is for the regular SR/RS lines of Grados. I don't have much experience with the GS-1000 or the PS-1000. The HF-1 sounds like a SR/RS and I haven't put any classical through the HF-2 yet, so I don't know. The HP-1000 line, on the other hand, is awesome with classical. But those are very different from anything John has made.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 31
The GS-1000i sounds very good with classical. Especially chamber music. Everything in SR/RS line sounds bad too my ears with classical.
I agree with what uncle erik said - you need a neutral headphone for classical.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Classical is usually recorded much, much better than other genres. You'll want exceptional headphones to allow you to hear that - resolution and transparency pay off.

You are Lucky then, my recording of rock (pink floyd, beatles) are much more better than classical recording.
BTW, I haven't heard grado but DT880 does greatwith this kind of music.

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS-1000i sounds very good with classical. Especially chamber music. Everything in SR/RS line sounds bad too my ears with classical.
I agree with what uncle erik said - you need a neutral headphone for classical.

I own a GS1000, I listen almost 100% classical and I agree: nice headphones for solo or chamber music, but... when orchestras grow in size, I don't like them that much anymore, or not at all with big late-romantic pieces. I just can't stand a full Bruckner or Mahler Symphony with these, the bumps in the response curve make them fatigue me already after the first fortissimo.

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 31
I always liked classical with my grados.

Though I like classical more coming from my beyerdynamic 880. Larger soundstage, more separation I would say.

Though it's not a black and white issue. Grados are so forward that sometimes it can bring a dull/muffled recording to life. I'd say it's very album-dependent.

Sep 6, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 31
I am using grado rs1 for two months and mostly i listen classical. There are serious problems when you listen some symphonic works (for example mahler's music). I hear sibilance and shrillness. Maybe the reason is my amp. Some users say upgrading tube amp will solve the problem but i'm not sure that. on the other hand grado sound is best i've ever heard. pure and realistic. not like sennheiser style dark sound. so if you want to get rs1 and listen classical,you should have really good system. if i have a chance to choose one,i would go with dt880 now. cheaper than rs1 and with 600 dollar i would buy dt880 plus average tube amp..(by the way,with tape band mod shrillness gone. but sounds like little bit darker than before)

edit: don't mind soundstage issue. certainly rs1 isn't the best one about that but not a big problem. because soundstage also dependent recording quality and your source.

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 31
I wonder if the problem is caused by Opera.
I audited Corda Symphony with GS1000 and the result is unacceptable.
The high of GS1000 becomes harsh and overall balance is simply wrong.

On the contrary, Grace m902 or SPL Auditor plays Mahler, Prokofiev, Ravel exceptionally amazing on GS1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a GS1000, I listen almost 100% classical and I agree: nice headphones for solo or chamber music, but... when orchestras grow in size, I don't like them that much anymore, or not at all with big late-romantic pieces. I just can't stand a full Bruckner or Mahler Symphony with these, the bumps in the response curve make them fatigue me already after the first fortissimo.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by stokitw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the problem is caused by Opera.
I audited Corda Symphony with GS1000 and the result is unacceptable.
The high of GS1000 becomes harsh and overall balance is simply wrong.

On the contrary, Grace m902 or SPL Auditor plays Mahler, Prokofiev, Ravel exceptionally amazing on GS1000.

My impressions are the same when using the B52, so it's not an Opera-only related problem. It has to be said the situation does improve switching to some softer sounding tubes (the Sylvania 5687s help here) or playing with some of my player's filters (filter 2 makes the sound just a bit rounder), still, it doesn't help making the GS1000 an ideal headphone for my symphonic listening. For that I found in the HD800 my ideal partner. Just a matter of taste, maybe...or maybe the B52 isn't an ideal Grado partner, who knows.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 31
Yes the Grado RS-1 does classical well. But then I am a huge Grado house sound fan.
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the RS-1 for about three years and am a huge classical fan.

Grados don't work with classical. At all.

Grados are voiced to do well with rock. They've got a few bumps in the response curve that make them sound great with electric guitars and bass. Those do not translate well to classical.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with this statement. I listen primarily to classical and I don't find this true with the Grado RS-1i I am using. In fact my Grado gives detailed presentation to woodwinds, and stringed instruments such as the violin and cello both in timbre and palpability. Also, I find its sound stage acceptable as far as headphones go. (In reality we are really talking head stage for headphones but that is another story). My reference for my observations is my speaker system in my dedicated room and the live concerts I attend. I am sorry but I have to comment on this because the many absolute statements of this type I read here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back