Grado Wood Maintenance
Apr 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
My RS-2 cups look a little dry and in need of some care. Do you guys treat the wood cups with anything to ensure long life?

BTW: they're brand new

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 17
I treat my RS-1s to a hyperbolic chamber.

biggrin.gif

Good question and I'm interested in the responses.

popcorn.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 17
Me too. Carnauba wax seems to be the method of choice for preserving Denon D5000's. I wonder if it would work just as well on the rougher surface of RS Grados.

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 17
I use lemon oil, or other fine furniture oil - being careful not to allow it to run down into the "works."

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use lemon oil, or other fine furniture oil - being careful not to allow it to run down into the "works."

hmmm. this seems like the safest option so far. I think carnauba wax will accumulate in the porous wood.

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

I second that. I also use it on my HE-5.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My RS-2 cups look a little dry and in need of some care. Do you guys treat the wood cups with anything to ensure long life?

BTW: they're brand new

Quote:

If you can not find lemon oil just go to a gentleman's club once a month wearing your RS-2. The cups will get plenty of oil!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too. Carnauba wax seems to be the method of choice for preserving Denon D5000's. I wonder if it would work just as well on the rougher surface of RS Grados.

I believe that Denon's have a clearcoat on them which makes most waxes acceptable, however I'm not sure if this is applicable to Grado wood. On the note for Denon cups, because most automotive waxes are more formulated for protection, I think a better alternative would be polishes (i.e. Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish) which contain more filler materials which increases depth and shine but do not last as long as waxes.

But then again, this stuff is formulated for car clear coats, so ymmv.

For the RS, definitely go for furniture-grade oils

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 17
Um.. I just wipe the dust off of my RS-1's with my fingers. I've had them for over 5 yrs and they look better now then when I first got them. No special oils or anything.

*shrugs*

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um.. I just wipe the dust off of my RS-1's with my fingers. I've had them for over 5 yrs and they look better now then when I first got them. No special oils or anything.

*shrugs*

just the natural oil on your fingers!

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 17
Unless they are coated with anything, you should treat them like a nice piece of furniture, or an antique instrument. I use lemon oil on all of the furniture I have made/bought and I use it on my violin as well.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 17
Murphy oil soap- recommended by Grado Lab.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Murphy oil soap- recommended by Grado Lab.

WOW really!

Did you actually find that documented someplace? Seems odd to use a detergent type product...

Thanks

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 17
Ok, so after some reading.. the safest route seemed to be the lemon oil.

I found some at Home Depot (labeled "Old English"). I gently removed the cups from the forks and carefully applied this stuff to the cups, it came out great. The wood did NOT change color at all, just shined up a little bit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back