Grado Wireless Series
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #136 of 163
It can be done

HDkEfb4.jpg

Beautiful work! Eventually I gave up and sold mine. Too many other projects and ideas going...

How did you manage to make the square holes for the power and the volume? I see the power switch is behind the gimbal. How is it accessed?

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #137 of 163
Beautiful work! Eventually I gave up and sold mine. Too many other projects and ideas going...

How did you manage to make the square holes for the power and the volume? I see the power switch is behind the gimbal. How is it accessed?

Thank you. I just drilled small holes and then slowly enlarged them using a dremel with a wood cutting bit. They certainly aren't perfect. The power button is blocked but if you rotate the cup you have just enough space to press it. I might saw off that end of the gimbal later.

I had to nearly destroy the left cup to get the pcb to fit. These are my first grados and actually my first nice headphones at all so I had no idea what I was getting into. The Shipibo audio parts are wonderful.

Judt waiting for earpads and a headband to arrive in the mail.

4xcPSSm.jpg

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #138 of 163
Thank you. I just drilled small holes and then slowly enlarged them using a dremel with a wood cutting bit. They certainly aren't perfect. The power button is blocked but if you rotate the cup you have just enough space to press it. I might saw off that end of the gimbal later.

I had to nearly destroy the left cup to get the pcb to fit. These are my first grados and actually my first nice headphones at all so I had no idea what I was getting into. The Shipibo audio parts are wonderful.

Judt waiting for earpads and a headband to arrive in the mail.

4xcPSSm.jpg

Well, nicely done, especially considering its your first effort.

I agree, the Shipibo parts are top notch. I personally prefer Turbulent headband pads, but each to his own.

Plant your flag! You're the first one to do this! (cue applause from crowd)

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #139 of 163
Well, nicely done, especially considering its your first effort.

I agree, the Shipibo parts are top notch. I personally prefer Turbulent headband pads, but each to his own.

Plant your flag! You're the first one to do this! (cue applause from crowd)

More like first one dumb enough to try..:beerchug:

I see now you're the guy behind the wabi sabi gear? You have some excellent looking cups too. These were a Christmas present but I would have done a lot better getting some custom (larger) cups that could fit the chunky pcb. Down the road I might try a wired build to really sound-mod them, so I'll keep your work in mind.

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #141 of 163
Just ordered a pair of these after confirming they were the V2’s. I was only looking at getting the RS2e (which I also ordered :)) but these seem to be great based on a few reviews I watched, I could do with some wireless open backs in my life!

That does take me up to four new headphones being delivered 😳 I should stop coming here lol

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #142 of 163
I found that, with the v2 playing from android phone, they sound radically different with aptx vs. AAC. The Aptx sound is clear, midrangey and somewhat bass-light, about how I was expecting Grados to sound. AAC instantly delivers a ton more low end, which I liked at first, but then I realized the mids are really colored too. Not sure if this is a global phenomenon or limited to my specific device. I did try them for a bit on an apple phone, which I think defaults to AAC, and they sounded more "normal" there.

Interested to hear how these sound vs. RS2e..

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #143 of 163
My gw100’s left side just stopped working when on Bluetooth. It’s just fine when on wired. Anyone has the same problem? I don’t know what to do now
I saw someone else talking about this too, then it happened to me as well. It happened after I was using them wired. I just tried fiddling with the volume some and then played them wired some more, then when I turned them back on they worked fine again. Seems like a minor glitch of some kind.

I do get the feeling the drivers are specifically tuned to each side-- covering the right cup with my hand kills the low frequency, whereas on the left it doesn't do nearly as much. I think the left driver is modified to work basically closed back due to the circuit board blocking it.

I just got the cheap $5 ebay G pads in the mail, and wow, what a surprise. They sound incredible, a huge step up from the stock pads. Bass is still there, perhaps even more of it, but the sound is so much more detailed and the instruments more separated. I get what people mean by "soundstage" now. Plus these are so much more comfortable and stay on better too. Best $5 I ever spent.

I'm still waiting on some TTVJ Deluxe flat pads, but they're going to have to be amazing to replace the Gs.
IMG_20210108_201156184.jpg

IMG_20210108_201300452.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #144 of 163
I found that, with the v2 playing from android phone, they sound radically different with aptx vs. AAC. The Aptx sound is clear, midrangey and somewhat bass-light, about how I was expecting Grados to sound. AAC instantly delivers a ton more low end, which I liked at first, but then I realized the mids are really colored too. Not sure if this is a global phenomenon or limited to my specific device. I did try them for a bit on an apple phone, which I think defaults to AAC, and they sounded more "normal" there.

Interested to hear how these sound vs. RS2e..

Apple's AAC implementation on their iPhones, iPads, and Macs have been known to be very different than other implementations and done much better. So that's what you're likely hearing, the different implementations of the AAC codec across different devices. Most say to not bother with AAC on Android and to stick to others if you have the option to. On the other hand, if you're on an Apple device, you don't have a choice but to use AAC as it'll fall back on SBC if it isn't available which isn't great (overstatement).

____

I actually received a pair of these headphones on Friday, looking for a set of G cushions for them. Looks like I'm either waiting for shipping for China for 3rd party generics or paying 45 bucks for authentic ones. I did get a set of generic L cushions which actually did improve the sound.

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #145 of 163
My gw100’s left side just stopped working when on Bluetooth. It’s just fine when on wired. Anyone has the same problem? I don’t know what to do now
That is truly bizarre. Maybe the wiring from the built-in Bluetooth headphone amp to the left channel is severed. Or maybe there's a capacitor in there somewhere that failed prematurely. Hard to say without opening it up. I'd contact Grado just in case they care to make it right. They've been extremely slow to ship me replacement parts, and I am within the first year of purchase up until now, but they have been sending them at least. I definitely regret buying, though. This is in a different universe of quality from every other product of theirs I've used.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #146 of 163
That is truly bizarre. Maybe the wiring from the built-in Bluetooth headphone amp to the left channel is severed. Or maybe there's a capacitor in there somewhere that failed prematurely. Hard to say without opening it up. I'd contact Grado just in case they care to make it right. They've been extremely slow to ship me replacement parts, and I am within the first year of purchase up until now, but they have been sending them at least. I definitely regret buying, though. This is in a different universe of quality from every other product of theirs I've used.
What parts do you need? Since I modded mine I have a lot of the original plastic hardware sitting here..

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #147 of 163
What parts do you need? Since I modded mine I have a lot of the original plastic hardware sitting here..
Bless you for even taking an interest. The yokes holding the headband to the earcups have broken twice on me now. I think at the moment, the last pieces I'm missing and am waiting on are the piece that says, "R" to hold the right earcup on, and maybe one of the screws for it as well if I recall correctly. My plan whenever I get my hands on them this time is to try some "3D scanner" smartphone apps so I can print replacements for myself in the future (except for any screws, obviously). If I'm successful I'll post the STL files for anyone else who might want them.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #148 of 163
Bless you for even taking an interest. The yokes holding the headband to the earcups have broken twice on me now. I think at the moment, the last pieces I'm missing and am waiting on are the piece that says, "R" to hold the right earcup on, and maybe one of the screws for it as well if I recall correctly. My plan whenever I get my hands on them this time is to try some "3D scanner" smartphone apps so I can print replacements for myself in the future (except for any screws, obviously). If I'm successful I'll post the STL files for anyone else who might want them.
I have those parts and more, I don't mind sending them your way if you PM me your address.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #149 of 163
I have those parts and more, I don't mind sending them your way if you PM me your address.
Thank you! PM sent. I'll post again here if I have any success with the attempts at scanning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back