Grado Wireless Series
Dec 14, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #91 of 163
55295B90-53B9-4FDE-B631-63A1E20A2FF0.jpeg 3C13AE9C-32E3-4B1D-813F-E734BC2468F1.jpeg I’m pairing HPs with FiiO’s M9. It transmits & receives a BT signal...or playback from a SD card...or wifi...making it ideal for my needs (home or on the go). I can add my iphone (SBC mode) &/or add a portable amp (Vorzuge) into the mix or elect to run it solo paired to BT headsets...untethered (Grado’s, Senn HD1).

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #92 of 163
hi all,

New poster, old lurker here :)

Has anyone used this for phone calls? I know that's not the primary selling point of these, but mine seem to work horribly for this over bluetooth and I'm wondering if I got a bad pair or what.

They sound perfect with music both wired and over BT, but the mic seems almost non-functional. Just to rule out the phone call connection itself, I paired with my iPhone (and with my computer) and tried making a basic voice memo recording -- in both cases it was super tinny and full of dropouts in sound. I know BT can be flaky, but this was over the top bad.

I don't know how or if this is relevant, but after one such test with my Mac, I decided to listen to some music instead (over BT) and at first the sound of the music in the Grados was super tinny and terrible -- after a bit I think it switched BT profiles or something and the full, real sound of the music came in.

I find closed-back headsets are kind of weird and muffled to talk through on phone calls, so I was I was looking forward to the Grados doing double-duty on that front but disappointed to find it's not really possible.

Hi, I use mine ALL THE TIME for several hours worth of audio and video conference calls. The mic works well (people don't complain anymore about bad audio from the MacBook Pro mic) and with my Mac, it's set to use AptX so I hear participants more clearly. Recommended!

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #93 of 163
I had a pair of these for about a week or so before I had to return them. Here's my big issues with it
  • Unable to change the volume of the voice when it turning on/off
  • Comfort: this was my first pair of grado's and now I fully understand the debate over comfort. The comfort was good for short sessions but over about an hour and a half, my ears became sore. Tried putting on the L-cush which was painful after 45 minutes of use (I guess on-ear's are not my type).
  • The overall build quality seemed alright for home use but since I would be putting these in my backpack they seemed like they would break, definitely needed a case
The sound was good but it was these little nuances that made me return them.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #94 of 163
I had a pair of these for about a week or so before I had to return them. Here's my big issues with it
  • Unable to change the volume of the voice when it turning on/off
  • Comfort: this was my first pair of grado's and now I fully understand the debate over comfort. The comfort was good for short sessions but over about an hour and a half, my ears became sore. Tried putting on the L-cush which was painful after 45 minutes of use (I guess on-ear's are not my type).
  • The overall build quality seemed alright for home use but since I would be putting these in my backpack they seemed like they would break, definitely needed a case
The sound was good but it was these little nuances that made me return them.
That's where I was with them. Initial comfort is good, but man, any prolonged period, and my ears hurt for like a whole day after.

I really, really enjoyed the sound with the stock pads, which is a shame.

Having used some 3rd party jumbo pads really boosted the comfort to the point of being probably one of my absolute faves in that regard, but the pads ruined the sound quality.

If anything, it made me really wanna try a pair of Grados that by default use the jumbo pads, but it seems there are only a few of those, and prohibitively expensive.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #95 of 163
I found the real L cushions on Amazon for about $20. They do make my GW100's fit better and don't interfere with the sound. I wear hearing aids so if they don't fit well, my ears hurt after about 10 minutes. Fortunately, no problems for me with this setup. I am on conference calls for hours everyday as well as using them for music and streaming services so I'm glad they work and sound so well in both Bluetooth (with AptX) and wired mode (I have a Schiit stack with Modi 3 Multibit and Vali 2).

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #96 of 163
i found a good deal for them, but I don't see much use (in my use case) in open bluetooth headphones. Have anyone tried modding these into close headphones? Although Grado headphones are usually very moddable, these probably contain more electronics and might not be that easy to do.

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #97 of 163
Grado drivers just don't work in closed enclosures at all. Ive tried various ways. The closest you can come is a heavily vented semi-closed cup.

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #99 of 163
Hey mate, any chance you've had a good look at these? Any chances of slapping some wood cups on some?

So a friend got a pair, and did a full tear-down for me. Long story short, I won't be light-heartedly ripping a pair apart...LOL...the body is nothing like a stock SR-series Grado. The only interesting item is that it looked like the drivers are a lot easier to liberate, meaning folks can sub in some Nhoord, Symphones or Elleven Acoustica drivers if they want. I might be able to do some cosmetic stuff (glueing in inlays maybe, or adding on wooden accents), but there's not much to be done to the rest of the cup. Not without a CNC or considerable patience and care.

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #102 of 163
Does anyone know what bluetooth chip/dac/amp is used?

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #103 of 163
Does anyone know how they sound (wireless and/or wired) when compared to a PS500 or HF3?

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #104 of 163
Does anyone know how they sound (wireless and/or wired) when compared to a PS500 or HF3?
FWIW: to me the gw100 sounds much better wired (at least with a good cable) than on BT. But overall, they are great. However, compared wired with HF3, in my ears, the HF3s are brighter and much more detailed. I tend to prefer the HF3s when wire is ok, but have grown found of the gw100 when BT is ok.

Edit
Ps the GH2s sound better than the other 2: more detail, space and bass. I have never owned a pair of 325s, but am wondering whether the HF3s may be a wooden version? Although with much more bass?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #105 of 163
FWIW: to me the gw100 sounds much better wired (at least with a good cable) than on BT. But overall, they are great. However, compared wired with HF3, in my ears, the HF3s are brighter and much more detailed. I tend to prefer the HF3s when wire is ok, but have grown found of the gw100 when BT is ok.

Edit
Ps the GH2s sound better than the other 2: more detail, space and bass. I have never owned a pair of 325s, but am wondering whether the HF3s may be a wooden version? Although with much more bass?
What cable would you recommend?
Also, I was thinking of getting a mojo dac for wires days. Anyone have any experience using this headphone in wired mode with a DAC? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back