Grado Warm Up time
Feb 23, 2007 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Copperjacket

100+ Head-Fier
I have just picked up a very nice set of used Grado 225s and notice that they take about 5 minutes or so to warm up and sing. Do other cans do this?

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 19
I think it is more your ears getting used to the sound when you first listen to it during the day.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is more your ears getting used to the sound when you first listen to it during the day.

I agree

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 19
I own some MS2's (which are basically Grado's) and they don't seem to suffer from this...

My amp does start to sound a bit better after it's been on for a while; maybe that explains what you are experiencing?

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperjacket /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just picked up a very nice set of used Grado 225s and notice that they take about 5 minutes or so to warm up and sing. Do other cans do this?

Are you listening to the 225 with an amp ? Is the amp warmed before you start your listening ?

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for the ideas

Yes I am using an amp but even if the amp is already warm from powering other headphones I notice it.

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 19
can I interest you in a pair of hand-knit headphone gloves?
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 19
Sounds great - beats the hairdryer I'm currently using. Needs to be large enough for the ttvj flats though...

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 19
Wow, weird....i thought only those old electro-static type headphones needed a warm up.

I never heard of something like this. I just got a pair of MS1's to go along with my 580s. I have never noticed them warming up. Now my tube amp does take about 10 seconds to warm up though.

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 19
It usually takes me about 10-20 minutes to adjust for a serious listening session. I'm not sure if it's the headphone system warming up or my own perceptions.

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

DING, we have a winner!

Unless...

If you are using tube amplification, plug the SR-225s in, put them on your head and then turn the amp on while music is playing. Then yeah, this will happen, but it isn't the headphones, it is the tubes warming up to their full potential. I usually wait for about 5 to 10 minutes (or longer) for my tube amp to warm up before I start to do any cirtical listening.

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It usually takes me about 10-20 minutes to adjust for a serious listening session. I'm not sure if it's the headphone system warming up or my own perceptions.

It is perception and a period of adjustment your brain/ears are making to get accostomed to the sound.

It is even more apparent/dramatic when you switch back and forth between headphones with a dramtically different sound signature.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You could try leaving your system on all the time when you are not listening to it, with the cans still plugged in. If you still notice a change, then it's definately due to your perceptions rather than a "warming up" effect.
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 19
Also, with flat pads on my RS-1 it takes about 3-20 minutes for the foam to mold to my ears (depending upon when I last used them.) I prefer them to be in this shape because the driver is very close to my ear. This definitely causes a change in the sound and may be what you are experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back