Grado SR80's or SR125's? Help!
May 31, 2002 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Kryogen

100+ Head-Fier
I am soon going to buy either grado SR80 or 125, because in the price range, they are FAR better than the other cans I've tried.
I just can't decide myself on which ones.

The 80's are great, I mean, they sound awesome. I don't listen to classical music and stuff, so the extra crispness and separation and stuff that the 125's give me, well, that'S what I can't decide myself on. 125's are 60$CAN more expensive. With tax, the 80's are 209$, and the 125's 169$. I will be able to have better prices, but still, what I mean is, it's a 60$ difference.

I listen to music on my computer, 99% of the time. They are also for computer games. I have a SB Live 5.1. BUT, I'm moving out soon and they will prolly be used for movies too, and stuff.

So, the big question is, for pop, rock, techno, and stuff, is it worth it to shell out the aditionnal 60$ or not? I mean, YES, there IS a diference, the 125's sound slightly better, but huh... What do you guys think?

Thanks

[EDIT]

I am thinking that, 60$ more, that could give me slightly better sound over 15 years, is less than 5$ a year.
Since I don't want as soon as I get them to feel like "why didn't I get the 125's right away", and then wanting to upgrade to 125's, and having to shell the money again and stuff, I think I should definitely get the 125's. After this, it's too expensive for me to even consider within a 15 years period, so I don't care.

But what do you guys think? Am I nuts? Are the 80's almost the same?

I'm not an audiophile, but I enjoy good mp3'S while on the comp and I enjoy great sound in games. I'm not nuts about it tho, I got no cd's and no discman. All mp3's for me. I might re-download my albums with 192 or 256 quality, though.

Please gimme advice, anything, I plan to buy em tomorrow, so huh, tell me.

May 31, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 26
Get the 80s now and get the 325s in a few years.
evil_smiley.gif

May 31, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 26
That's an option, but I'm really not planning to buy another pair in the future, well not before ALOT of time.

So, consider that I have 1 pair of headphones to have for the next, let's say, 10 years.

80 or 125?

I mean, if the 125's don't make much of a diference, and it's great, it's okay, but if they do make a difference and that it's worth it for mp3 listening and perhaps some cd listening, well tell me
wink.gif

I don't want to plan my byuing having in head "I'll get better later".

May 31, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 26
The best way to know if the 125s are worth it is to listen for yourself. If that isn't possible, I say get the 125s and enjoy them; you won't have to constantly ask yourself if you made the right choice because you will be enjoying your headphones. Plus, you eliminate upgraditis, which is something to be proud of in this hobby.
wink.gif

OTOH, if you don't have a job and you are giving up food money for headphones, then by all means get the 80s simply because they will be enjoyed and you will really miss the $60.

So, if it isn't impractical, get the 125s for peace of mind (and great headphones). If you will really miss that $60, then get the 80s. Either way you are going to enjoy your purchase. Unless someone will tell you about the 125s versus the 80s, I think your decision should be based upon how much you will miss the money rather than how much better the 125s are.

I wish I could tell you how much better the 125s are than the 80s, but I have never heard either.
frown.gif

Edit: You might check out this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=12283

May 31, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 26
The shop 5 min of bike away from my home has all the grado line to listen to.

I listened to the 60's, 80's, 125's and the 750$ ones.

I can say that:

60-80 is a major improvement.
80-125, well... I feel that the sound is more "real", and the cut between highs and lows is more defined.

125-the best ones (wood ones) I'll be honest, I didn't hear the difference right away, period... Some more clarity, perhaps? or perhaps it's mental, too.

So huh, well, the 125's feel more "real" and "there", and less "puffy" and huh, "boomy", and you know what I mean. After these, I don't notice the difference.

Just got a job @ minimal wage, summer job, still at parents house... I can afford that I guess. I'll make about 200-250$ can a week, I'd say, so these headphones are a full week of work if I can get em at 225 (price before tax, cause they are 270 with tax, gawd [can]).

So huh, whatever... 270 is way too high, if he makes em at 230 ill be happy. But huh, IMO, he won,t go lower than 240, well see.

I just feel weird paying +-250$ for headphones, gawd.
80's would cost me about 180-190 with a bargain, which is 60$ lower... BUT, if I get these, I know I'll regret it. Duh.

Just like when I bought my altec lansing 75$ CAN speakers with sub. Yes, they sucked bad. They died after 3 months, and I used em what... 5 hours? Crap.

At least I hope the 125's will have a comparable sound with my dad's home theater system. The only thing that will not be there is the body vibes. You know what I mean.

May 31, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 26
I listened to the 125 and 80, and could not hear much if any difference myself. The 80's were $200 Canadian and the 125's $250 with tax. I got the 80's and am happy with my choice. (for now, I may upgrade to the 325 in the future) Where are you in Canada? You can get them cheaper than I can. Either choice will sound good, but I couldn't hear 50 dollars worth of difference.

May 31, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 26
The 80s are nice. I've got them both. However you need theeese....

325.jpg

May 31, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 26
Kryogen

Quote:

So, consider that I have 1 pair of headphones to have for the next, let's say, 10 years.

don't be too sure about that
evil_smiley.gif

I think you should consider the Alessandro Grado MS-1 also.
I have not heard them but from what most people have said these will sound closer to SR-125s at the price of SR-80.
Search the forum for more info on MS-1

cheers
RawHit
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 26
Let's just stay focused.

80 vs 125.

I am just wondering if the slight difference is worth the 50$ tag, duh. I feel that it will make a huge difference in 3d games, because, too far or dampered sound sucks in shooters. That's why the cheapo 40$ sony's mdr-g52 really rock at shooters (high pithed, "seeming close" sound, I know where footsteps come from), compared to old sennheiser 414 (too much bass, all sounds on same levels, bad stereo localisation, BUT better sound).

Well, the 80's are awesome, but they lack the closeness, you cann it scenesumething I think, and a good deal of sound detail, compared to the 125's.

I think that the 125'S would be the best for stereo localisation, and hearing the high pithed cartridges on the ground and the deep footsteps, and stuff.

Perhaps I'm just nuts and the 80's already kickass? But since I never want to regret that damn purchase, I think I'll have to go with the 125's, duh.

May 31, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 26
I had sr60 and sr80 phones.
I decided I liked the grado sound so much I went for the max
I now have sr325 phones.
If you like the sr125 cans, go for it. Then you won't have to wonder about what you're missing. Step up to the plate.
just my thoughts,
md

May 31, 2002 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 26
Yeah, that's pretty much what I though, since the 125's, for me, are a bit expensive but the max I'll ever pay. So, in my head, with the 125's, I get top of the line ;P

I'll prolly go and buy em, he asks 270 with tax, id I can get em at something like 230, i'll get em.

May 31, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Kryogen
...since the 125's, for me, are a bit expensive but the max I'll ever pay.

Muhahahahaha....... that's what everyone says ..............at first.

Remember that song from the Eagles, "Hotel California"?

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back