Grado SR80i... Would it be a significant downgrade?
Jul 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

metsat

100+ Head-Fier
I've read so much positive reviews about this headphone getting editors choice awards among many regarded hi-fi magazine sites on the net. My question is if these would be a "significant" downgrade comparing to Shure SRH-940 which are my current headphones. My setup consists of ARCAM-rPAC USB-connected to an iMac with Audirvana Plus as main player. Is this a good combo for the Grado's?

Thanks in advance. All feedback appreciated.

Musical taste: Jazz, Blues, Instrumental, sometimes Classical, and Rock such as Joe Satriani.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 14
Yes, the sr80i are talked up far too much by people here and they are a really very situational headphone and have a very love hate reputation. If you love piercing treble and hate any bass presence then t he sr80i are for you. IMO the only grado's worth the money are the sr325i and up...not the GS1000 though I would like to give them another try.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 14
From the SRH-940? Definitely. If the SRH-940 are a 10, I'd give the SR80 about a 5.5.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 14
From the SRH-940? Definitely. If the SRH-940 are a 10, I'd give the SR80 about a 5.5.

What other headphones are there with similar sound signature to the 940's but with punchier base and perhaps a bit more air around instruments and vocals? I'm not talking about really expensive high-end phones like HD800 or Audez'e LCD series or STAX for that matter, about around the same price range as the 940's. What about Shure SRH-1440?

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 14
I've never heard the 1440. The KRK KNS 6400 has less bass, but is only around $70, and has a similar signature otherwise; maybe you can EQ up the bass. A modded Fostex T50RP can be around $75 and sound similar in most areas and better in some than a 940. Other than that, I don't have too much experience in the price range.

Quote:
What other headphones are there with similar sound signature to the 940's but with punchier base and perhaps a bit more air around instruments and vocals? I'm not talking about really expensive high-end phones like HD800 or Audez'e LCD series or STAX for that matter, about around the same price range as the 940's. What about Shure SRH-1440?

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 14
The 940's are pretty detailed and treble forword idk if the Grados will be much better.

But I am wondering the same thing, my best headphones are Denon D5K's but I have always wanted Grados. Every one loves the SR80's but would the 125 or 225's be better or do I need to spend over $500 to make a difference?

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 14
Grado SR60, SR80, and SR125 all sound *very* similar to me. SR225 is noticeably improved/different, but still sounds like it has strong lineage to the previous three. Honestly, I would say start with the SR60 that you can get for super cheap. With HD414 pads, the sound becomes very good and the fit is more comfortable. If you like it, then jump right to the SR225.

Quote:
The 940's are pretty detailed and treble forword idk if the Grados will be much better.

But I am wondering the same thing, my best headphones are Denon D5K's but I have always wanted Grados. Every one loves the SR80's but would the 125 or 225's be better or do I need to spend over $500 to make a difference?

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 14
Not enough bass, and the highs are sibilant and fatiguing IME.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
I've read so much positive reviews about this headphone getting editors choice awards among many regarded hi-fi magazine sites on the net. My question is if these would be a "significant" downgrade comparing to Shure SRH-940 which are my current headphones. My setup consists of ARCAM-rPAC USB-connected to an iMac with Audirvana Plus as main player. Is this a good combo for the Grado's?

Thanks in advance. All feedback appreciated.

Musical taste: Jazz, Blues, Instrumental, sometimes Classical, and Rock such as Joe Satriani.

Your post will bring out the Grado haters and lovers which is mostly no help.  No dealer in Stockholm?  You need to hear them.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 14
Yeah, I have SR80i and I use them on the go occasionally.  The treble is very in your face and sharp I would say for s ure.  I got the 80 model over the 60 because of the improved bass.  At least to my ears before I really started critically listening to headphones, I remember there being a significant bass difference.  I've never felt the bass in the 80 is lacking, but tbh I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just due to the comfort issues.  The sound could be smoother for my taste as well.  As others have said, I would recommend the 325 or higher, or 225, but I haven't heard 225 only 60, 80, 325, and some higher models as well gs1000 and maybe one other.  I just find the 80i can be a little piercing on some recordings.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 14
Ok, thanks for all the replies. I do like balanced phones but not painfully piercing treble. So I will test them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back