Grado SR80i vs SR60i ? Does it really matters ?
Apr 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

OriChamo

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new here, hope i'll get in easily :).

Like many others, I have been pondering which pair of cans is the right one for me - 60i or 80i (Grado).
I've heard them both in the store and didn't notice any difference, but it was a long time ago and just for a minute or two...
I'm thinking about getting the 60i because they were more comfortable, however the pads can be replaced easily I guess.
The only thing I'm worried about is really sound quality and bass presence... is that really ONLY due to the different pads? or the cable type might have an effect as well?

Their websites says:

Quote:
"but SR80i utilizes a 4 conductor connecting cable and the diaphragms are put through a special 'de-stressing' process in order to enhance inner detail, the result of which gives a more open stage"

Did anyone here tried both and can really say that the 80's are more detailed, more bassy ?
does the quoted difference affects the sound at all? or it's just mechanical difference ?
If there's any difference indeed, I'll go with them even though I haven't noticed any difference at the store.

Best Regards and thanks alot!
Ori.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 34
Barukh haba to head-fi
Sorry about your wallet

I had the same concern a bit more than a year ago: I'm not surprised you couldn't hear differences.
Honestly, did you actually try them? The pads nowadays are the same between the sr60i and the sr80i.

All Grado headphones share a common sound signature, so I suggest you to get the sr60i 

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 34
How about Alessandro MS1i? :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:
Barukh haba to head-fi
Sorry about your wallet

I had the same concern a bit more than a year ago: I'm not surprised you couldn't hear differences.
Honestly, did you actually try them? The pads nowadays are the same between the sr60i and the sr80i.

All Grado headphones share a common sound signature, so I suggest you to get the sr60i 

Just because they share a "common sound signature' does not mean that they sound the same.
Each model has its own sound and the differences between them are easily discernible.

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 34
If "bass presence" is a concern, then Grado might not be the best option. 
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 34
Get an SR325is instead and roll pads for more bass or give it one of the bass mods.

SR60/80 is meh.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 34
First of all, I have certainly tried them, but it was more than a year ago, and the sound was simply stunning! I don't care about bass presence too much as long as I'll get the fantastic sound quality. anyway, the cans purpose is home use, but I just can't decide on which one I should get...both sounded amazing while I have not felt the difference in the bass back then. Maybe I wasn't aware to this, but is it so significant?

whoelse : I have better price for Grado, and I live in a remote place so I don't really want to go the whole way to the big city again in order to listen to alessandro. Grado were awesome enough for me :)/

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
More reasons to support the Sr60i, I have them and I'm pretty happy with the sound.

I had a pair for three years  and I did enjoy them, asides from the big unwieldy cable.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 34
What  is the price difference between the 60i and the 80i where you live?
Why was the 60i more comfortable than the 80i?
When you tried them, didn't they both have the same (S) cushions? They should have if they where both new, and it was only about a year ago, because they both come (stock) with (S) cushions, but I take it that the 60i had (S) cushions and the 80i had (L) cushions if you say the 60i had more comfort.

In the states their is only a 20$ difference between the two models, and if you can't hear the difference between them, then buy the 60i, and take the remaining 20$ and buy (L) cushions, so you can hear which cushions you like better, and your total will be 100$, depending on where you live.
BTW Amazon has these headphones and cushions for these prices
Also the Grado headphones sound amazing indeed!!!

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:
First of all, I have certainly tried them, but it was more than a year ago, and the sound was simply stunning! I don't care about bass presence too much as long as I'll get the fantastic sound quality.

Can you tell us more about the sound quality? How were the high frequencies, midrange and bass?

You should get the 60's since you say they are more comfortable and the sound quality the same. They are also less expensive.

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 34
midrange and treble were amazing, detailed and crystal clear. I can't really recall the bass sound but i'm sure it was nice. the overall experience was greatly positive and surprising... Now I just need to decide...

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
What  is the price difference between the 60i and the 80i where you live?
Why was the 60i more comfortable than the 80i?
When you tried them, didn't they both have the same (S) cushions? They should have if they where both new, and it was only about a year ago, because they both come (stock) with (S) cushions, but I take it that the 60i had (S) cushions and the 80i had (L) cushions if you say the 60i had more comfort.

In the states their is only a 20$ difference between the two models, and if you can't hear the difference between them, then buy the 60i, and take the remaining 20$ and buy (L) cushions, so you can hear which cushions you like better, and your total will be 100$, depending on where you live.
BTW Amazon has these headphones and cushions for these prices
Also the Grado headphones sound amazing indeed!!!

I agree with this %100, if you can't hear the difference, why pay more to get the SR80i?

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 34
Not really for me. Any difference was hiding behind the piercing highs both of them have. Even with the 325s, which were actually better and less fatiguing, I still couldn't get over the painful sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back