Grado SR80i vs SR125i vs Alessandro MS1i
Apr 13, 2011 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

veggiop

New Head-Fier
Hello,

So I've decided to go for the grado signature sound, and narrowed my search to those three cans {Grado SR80i, SR125i, Alessandro MS1i}. Thing is theres no way for me to test them and see which one i like the most so in order not to buy a cat in the bag, i ask your help dear internets.

Price Range: <$150
Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Balanced from lows to highs, maybe a bit of a basshead from time to time
smile.gif
, all though I have Fischer Audio Silver Bullets for that...
Source: Sansa Clip+, bbCmoy (AD825).

So in essence, I want the {X} to have a nice crisp, snappy and punchy, but not too big, bass with overall balanced and crisp mid to highs mainly for listening to 80s - 90s rock, maybe dubstep, electronics, and more classical, vocal based songs.

Thoughts?

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 3
Personally, I'd wait a bit more and save another $50 up.  Then, opt for the SR225i model - which will give you the bowl pads and a better level of headphone.  Then, spend about $2.00 on some cheap modifications and you'll have a very fine sounding pair of headphones.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 3
IMO there's little reason to go for the SR80i or SR125i.

The SR80i and SR60i sounded identical to me, the only difference between them is the cable (not saying that's meaningless, I just could not tell the difference). If you're going with the low end, you may as well save the money and get the SR60i IMO. Use the saved $20 and put it toward a pair of bowls or flats.

The SR125i isn't worth buying either, since you're much better off saving a little more and getting the SR225i which was the first big improvement in this series of headphones (to my ears, which aren't great apparently). I preferred the SR225i to the SR325is, the aluminum cups are just too heavy, and I didn't like the sound signature much..

Don't forget, if you go above the SR80i you'll most likely have to use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to use the 'phones with your CMoy, which is a bit awkward.

Important question, have you listened to a pair of Grados with your setup yet? I enjoyed listening to rock music on my SR80i, but they're severely lacking for dubstep and electronica. The MS1 might be better, but I can't comment as I haven't ever heard a pair.. If there's a store around you that sells Grados, go listen for a while.

I ended up trading away my SR80is, and I'm really happy with the decision. They aren't the cans for everybody!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back