1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

grado sr80i vs sony mdr zx700 vs audio technica ath m50

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by touchrespwn, Oct 10, 2011.
Next

Last
  1. touchrespwn
    Hey head-fi, i am considering buying some new headphones to listen to music. The 3 headphones that I am considering to purchase are grado sr80i, sony mdr zx700, and the audio technica ath m50. I am going to be powering them up with a fiio e7. The genre that ilisten to are rock wnd metl, likeavenged sevenfold, bullet for my Valentine, breaking Benjamin and black veil brides. Please tell me which headphone i should buy for the best listening experience. Rock on!

2. MalVeauX

Quote:

The Shure SRH840.

Very best,

3. Gwarmi

Quote:

Easy as. You're a rocker. SR80i.

4. Hifianddrumming

Quote:

+1. Not much beats Grados in the rock department :)

5. touchrespwn
    Thank you guys for the feedback. I am still deciding between the Grados and the Sonys because I think that the Sonys look really slick and amazing. 

6. touchrespwn
    More comments, replies, and suggestions will totally be appreciated :)))

7. BenAdamson
    I'm looking into purchasing the Sonys myself, mainly because they are a lot less expensive and are more portable. I will be using them in loud and quiet public places so they need to be closed, which the grados unfortunately aren't. If you are only going to be listening at home or in reasonably quiet places, go for the grados if they are in your budget. If you're thinking of using them portably ever you should probably stick with the sonys. They are cheaper, and have recieved stunning reviews from many top reviewers.

They are the new kid on the block, and I think they may prove to be a favourite in the community sooner or later, not enough people know enough about them yet for the 'critical mass' of recommendations.

8. touchrespwn
    hmmm.. i'm more interested in home use, cause for portable use, i use my v-moda remix remote! 

9. Hifianddrumming
    Home use= GRADOS. 

10. Chris_Himself
    I listen to Nujabes with Grados and still prefer it more than most headphones within 50 dollars of their price ranges.

DT880 and HD600 are the only two cans that replace them IMO...

11. touchrespwn
    i got the grado sr80i and i am definitely loving them :D

12. theNABILcompany

Quote:

I'm just going to thread hijack for a moment here. Malveaux, would you mind elaborating why you mentioned the SRH840s? I too am in the market for a GOOD portable headphone within the pricerange of all mentioned headphones on this thread to replace my relatively lacking S4s and to be amped with my Fiio E7 and sourced from my iPod. I am trying to find out between the SRH840, the M50, the HD2-1 ii and the MDR-ZX700 which has the best sound signature OVERALL with the E7 for protable use and E7/E9 for home use. I also read on a thread by poster: Gwarmi that the SRH840s is a winner with the E9, I wonder if that is also the case with the E7, or E7/E9 together (please feel free to throw in your $0.02 if you see this Gwarmi).

Also, I live in Toronto, Canada, so we have fairly cold winters, has anybody here used any of these aforementioned cans in cold then warm weather conditions through many seasons because they will almost strictly be for outdoor use (commute only).

Thanks,

13. bravo4588
    The ZX700 is a circumaural headphone so it will cover around your ears. I use them for my daily commute and they offer great isolation(a little lower than the HD 25-I II) and the sound clarity is brilliant even there is visible background noise such as vehicles and people. And they work very well as a nice pair of ear warmers during the winter season(personal experience). I can't speak about the SRH880 or the M50 as I never listened to them. I'd say the sony is a cheaper and a great alternative for the HD25-I II(IMO of course). Try them out before you decide.

14. theNABILcompany

Quote:

Yeah I figured I could always pick up the ZX700s for the remainder of winter and maybe save up and get the HD 25-1 II for spring/summer lol. I have some days off for Christmas I guess I could dedicate some hours to go over into the city and check out all 4 cans. Thanks for the input pal!

15. astroid
    I have been using the zx700 for months, its a great commuter can, sounds really good, very comfy as long as you dont have massive ears.

Next

Last