Grado SR80 vs. Sennheiser 280
Sep 9, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 26
I cannot believe that a half-line, truthful tag underneath a non-looks-orientated view generates this kind of response.

Besides, if it looks good and sounds good, what's wrong?

The Grados could be considered cool, because as radrd says, those guys don't care and it ends up looking pretty unique.

Whereas the 280's... Jeez. If you don't get it now, you never will.

Seeya.

Sep 9, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #17 of 26
People! Please! Can we get back to the real discussion. You cannot change the way the people think. Let them think you look like a 'dork'. You who wear the SennHD280 and SR80 can they they are fools for wearing cheap sony earbuds or cheap sony anything.

Now, those who bought the SR80, why did you choose it over the 280s?

Now, those who bought the 280s, why did you choose it over the SR80?

Thank you~

Sep 9, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 26
Sorry about that. I did think about asking MacDEF to split the thread (if it was possible) when I replied the first time around - but I didn't think so many would chip in with useless comments.

Please have your thread back, with my apologies...
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 26
First, Sol_Zhen, you make the grados look extra good with that avatar.

Why did i choose the sr80 over senn280?

Of all the senns ive listened to, they gave me a so-so feeling.

I did not get the chance of listening to the 280s, but ive read all over this forum with people complaining on how the sound on the 280s are not detailed and maybe abit recessed. Also, because it is tooo heavy for a headphone (ive hold the box before...and abit overload on weight if u are to wear this outside).

Another reason is because of all the senns ive listened to-- they have not impressed me much. GoodGuys carry senns, and ive listened to those 580s or 590s...again they dont sound detailed enough. They just dont sound loud, even if they do...clarity is somewhat lost. i have the hd433, kind of bad. And sis has mx400, only 'earbud' quality. The best way i can describe the experiences i have with senns are that they tend to be more 'laid back'. This is sometime a reason why i use hd433 for late night talk show listening.

I think anyone thats reading will be more satisfied getting a grado than any phone out there for the money.

But still, im very curious in wanting to tryout the senn280s. just to make sure if sr80 is better (first impression wise--didnt go through break in). hhahahah

Im just powering my grado with a portable, so im sure there is more potential in these set of cans. This is no mean that grado is a perfect every use can...they are not the best thing for outside uses (overly open design). And has anyone tried this? if u cup over the phones, it sounds so different.

Happy shopping.

Sep 10, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #20 of 26
As for these two headphones, here's my take:

The SR80 are more "fun" in that they have the characteristic Grado sound: a bit bright on the top end, the upper mids are a bit forward, and there is a bit of a hump in the upper bass that gives them more "slam."

The HD 280 Pro are more neutral IMO. They have better bass extension (they go a bit lower) but the bass doesn't have as much kick. The mids and highs are probably a bit clearer than the SR80, but they aren't as "in your face."

If you want isolation, the SR80 have none, the HD 280 have tons.

Comfort? The SR80 are typical Grado: you'll either hate the fit or you'll get used to it
wink.gif
They're a bit lighter (but not much). The HD 280 are actually much more comfortable on the top of the head for me, but they really do seal around the ears, so some people might find them less comfortable there.

Both will be driven easily without an amp, although the Grado's will have a lot more "kick" as I mentioned above.

Overall I think it really depends on what you want. I don't think either is clearly better than the other. Personally, I have the HD 280 because I've already got plenty of good, open headphones. But from what you're (phunnix) saying about when/how/what you'll be listening to, I think you'd probably enjoy the SR80 more.

Sep 10, 2002 at 8:38 AM Post #21 of 26
Just to add a bit more to my first post...

What I have noticed with the 280's is that after the comfort tweak to the 280's I only notice a dull weight on my head - nothing too uncomfortable, but I do definitely get a sense of relief after I step back from the computer and take them off.

The SR80's would be much airier (hmmm...) on the head. It's not just the lighter weight, it's all that air circulating around your ears
biggrin.gif
Some people do find the bowl pads a bit unfomfortable - but as I said in my first post, this probably goes hand in hand with the headband exerting unnecessary pressure on the ears - but it's easy enough to fix for home use certainly, as the Grados can sit fairly lightly on the ears. It also helps to twist the bowl pads into a slanted ovoid shape that approximates the shape of your ear.

Soundwise, the 280's are perfect for what I use them for now (audio editing - mainly uploaded Minidisc recordings), especially in a fairly noisy room, but for just listening to music they've always struck me as "an Accountant of a headphone" - sacrificing what I vaguely call 'musicality' for accuracy of presentation. Long-term familiarity with the 280 just reinforces this to me and it baffles me to see others saying here that the 280's have powerful bass for example - maybe they don't have anything else to compare it with.

As for just listening, I can sit with the SR225 or the SR60 perched on my head for hours, maybe reading on the sofa with the music. For the same use, I'd probably throw the 280's across the room after an hour.

I'd say get both and something else as well, but that's me of course...
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2002 at 12:38 PM Post #22 of 26
And there goes Magicthyse continuing his crusade against the 280's with not one post but two posts bashing them in one thread.

Quote:

What I have noticed with the 280's is that after the comfort tweak to the 280's I only notice a dull weight on my head - nothing too uncomfortable, but I do definitely get a sense of relief after I step back from the computer and take them off.

I honestly don't know what your problem is. I have only ever heard of comfort issues from you and one other person. I shave my head every couple of days so there is no extra padding between my head and the padding on the head band of the 280's. I wear them at work for the better part of the day without any discomfort whatsoever. It seems you obviously got a pair with a defect. You didn't return or exchange them so it's your own fault. Stop making it seem like they are the most uncomfortable headphone that ever existed.

Quote:

Soundwise, the 280's are perfect for what I use them for now (audio editing - mainly uploaded Minidisc recordings), especially in a fairly noisy room, but for just listening to music they've always struck me as "an Accountant of a headphone" - sacrificing what I vaguely call 'musicality' for accuracy of presentation.

They were meant for monitoring. This to me means that they they should be fairly neutral revealing problems in both the recording and the equipment. For example, at home I don't have any complaints about the sound, and often find myself completely immersed. At work I find the highs a bit harsh on some recordings but I feel that is the rest of the equipment because the same songs at home don't give me the same problems. In fact I've had some great head boppin', foot tappin good times with my 280's and I believe many other people here have as well. Overall I believe the 280's succeed at what they were designed for as a fairly neutral headphone. They don't roll off the highs, they don't pump up the bass. They have decent extension and detail and are more forward then other Sennheisers I've heard. In reality your use of the term "musical" implies coloration. If you want them to be more "musical" then try pairing them with more "musical" equipment. I'm a big fan or the tube "sound" and I've felt pairing the 280's with a sweet sounding tube amp might make a nice pairing but I definately don't find them anywhere near as dry as you imply.

Quote:

Long-term familiarity with the 280 just reinforces this to me and it baffles me to see others saying here that the 280's have powerful bass for example - maybe they don't have anything else to compare it with.

You have given the impression over and over that you are a bass freak. I have plenty of experience with equipment and how it should sound. I've played cello, double bass and bass guitar, I'm a trained audio engineer, I've worked in a high end audio store and I've worked with a high end speaker manufacturer. I may be fairly new to headphones but the same rules apply and I feel the bass is fairly flat on the 280's.

Yes Magicthyse, you are entitled to your opinion, but it is just that, opinion. You come across like some sort of authority on all things 280 and you constantly feel the need to bash them to newbies. Giving them the impression that if they want to look like a geek and listen to horrible headphones than go ahead and buy the 280's. I will warn someone of the geek factor if I think the situation warrants it but you feel the need to preach about this to anyone who'll listen. People that have been around these forums for any amount of time know that your primary concern is fashion before sound and take your comments with a grain of salt and treat them as comic relief. Newbies don't have this experience and therefore look to you as someone with experience try to at least be objective. Just look at MacDEF's last post in this thread if you need an example of an objective post to a newbie.

Sep 10, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #23 of 26
That's interesting, elnero. I'm a classically trained composer and ex-orchestral arranger. I've also spent my share of time in studios as well as owning / running labels - but producing 'electronica' instead of classical. My tastes are most probably more bass-heavy than yours and my opinions would probably be geared for the pop/alt/rock-heavy listeners. But I'd say my opinions are as valid as yours.

Perhaps MacDEF should split this thread - shall we take this elsewhere, elnero?

Sep 10, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #24 of 26
I think I've said all that needed to be said. But to clarify things for you...

I personally don't care what credentials you have. You implied that anyone who thought there was no problem with the bass on the 280's had no experience. I only qualified my experiences for you.

You have a tendency to post your opinions as facts, that everyone feels this way or it's the way they should feel. I'm not out to flame or bash you, I just think you should, escpecially in the case of newbies, try to post more objectively than you do.

Sep 10, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #25 of 26
(shrugs)

I'm always careful to state if I haven't tried anything I'm talking about. And it should be abundantly clear to anyone that a poster's opinions are their own.

I value your opinions on this board but perhaps you shouldn't be too touchy about the 280's. Several others on this board find them uncomfortable and most of my friends - audiophile and otherwise - who've tried the 280 agree that the response is too flat for popular music listening. Coloring, etc is personal taste of course.

I think we'll leave it there, ladies and gents.

Sep 11, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #26 of 26
I'm with elnero. For the most part Magicthyse, you are a pain in the ass. I don't have any problem with your dislike of the HD280, but would you please stop making statements that suggest that others shouldn't like it because you and your "friends" don't. (I say "friends" because apparently these are the same people you are worried about seeing you in public with ugly headphones on.
frown.gif
)

Basically, the HD280 is a great headphone compared to most everything else at $100 or less. Not everyone likes the sound, and this is the case for virtually every headphone, especially Grado, if not more so. There are headphones that more people like than not, and the HD280 happens to be one of those. The Grado SR80 is also one that a lot of people like, but then there are a lot of people that really hate the Grado sound. When you are looking for recommendations, the best way to go about it is to find headphones that a lot of people like, then try them out.

I always recommend buying from Headroom (www.heaphone.com) if you can't audition at a local store. Then you have 30 days to audition it and you are only risking the cost of shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back