Grado SR80 - Ouch!!
Aug 11, 2002 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JZC

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been a lurking for quite some time, and I decided to finally join in with a post, so here goes.

To give a little bit of a background, I'm a music-lover turned songwriter. I mainly write electronic music and do all of my production, engineering and mastering on my own (with a partner). My favorite hobbies include songwriting and critical listening, so I'd say I have at least a decent ear when it comes to these things.

Anyway, my main pair of cans thus far has been the Sony 7506s which have treated me VERY nicely over the years. I've really never had a problem with them in any way (except that the bass kinda tires my ears out during extended listening sessions).

To get to the point of this post, I recently purchased a used SR80. From everything I've read about it, I expected to be blown away, but I'm not so sure if I'm that happy with it.

There's really only ONE complaint I have with the SR80: the highs. Ouch! Why are the highs so overdone on these headphones? I feel like it's bordering on the absurd how loud the highs can get on these cans. Often times, this is a good thing, expecially when listening to "lower"-fi recordings where the highs are recessed. The Grados make these albums sound all shiny and new, which is good. But whenever I put on a modern "pop" recording that's been mastered with the highs already overdone, I can't listen to them with the SR-80s for more than a few minues without having to hit the EQ or put them down!

Yes, after twiddling with the 12k-16k ish range on the EQ, I can get them to sound great. But otherwise, I just can't handle the shrieking highs.

I've spent a couple days trying to see if anyone else has had these complaints about the SR80, but not many seem to agree.

So my question is this: anyone else find the highs on the SR-80s to be unbearable? Or is it just me?

Aug 11, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 17
Well, many will say that the lower grados are very very bright, shrill even. Some love that but others despise it. I guess it depends on one's preference. Definitely if a recording sucks and the highs are already poopy, then bright cans are only going to accentuate that. The SR series may not be what you are looking for. Although you can fix this with a different front-end or pair it with a dark amp.

Hope they are not a total loss for you!

Cheers!

Aug 11, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 17
The music is part of the problem. What you're listening to was probably mastered using a headphone with poor high frequency response such as the V6/7506, and further boosted for playback on boomboxes and Blose speakers.

Aug 12, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 17
I have had SR60's and SR125's. They were both so bright I got rid of them. They are just too much for some recordings. They will make a crummy system sound better, but some music is painful.

Aug 12, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by r3cc0s
order comfy pads

I agree - this might be the cheapest and easiest (not to mention comfiest) way to go. I have read that for US folks, radio shack sell a set of earpads that will fit the Grados like a glove, and are more comfy than the Grado 'comfy' pads.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 17
You are scaring me on my 'NEW' purchase. the grado sr80.

still abit relucdant in opening the fine box.

Aug 30, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
The music is part of the problem. What you're listening to was probably mastered using a headphone with poor high frequency response such as the V6/7506, and further boosted for playback on boomboxes and Blose speakers.

I don't really see how the music is really a problem when the music sounds just fine to me on any other cans/speakers. And I really doubt that any of the music we listen to were "mastered using ... the V6/7506." I doubt any of them were mastered with headphones at all.

Aug 30, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by r3cc0s
order comfy pads

Hey r3cc0s,

I did get the RadioShack comfy pads. They're ok, but I find that they don't do such a good job cutting the highs, and you lose too much of the lows with them. What I actually ended up doing was getting the comfy pads and putting the bowl pads on TOP of the comfys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
is your pair burned in? AKA how many hours have they been in used, Grado headphones need about 50 hours before they sound their best. Also a good amp will help tame the highs.

Hi KR,

I got them second-hand, so I assume they're burned in. I let them burn for another 20 hours or so anyway.

I decided I would make an amp for it anyway, just to see how it could sound. I'm working on a DIY cmoy. Do you think this will help me with my problems?

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
I have had SR60's and SR125's. They were both so bright I got rid of them. They are just too much for some recordings. They will make a crummy system sound better, but some music is painful.

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif
It feels good knowing I'm not the only one!
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 17
order the comfy pads
it places the ear closer but not too close to the driver, and brings the piercing treble down
and incrases warmness of the bass
while retaining the impactful grado sound

Aug 31, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by JZC

Hey r3cc0s,

I did get the RadioShack comfy pads. They're ok, but I find that they don't do such a good job cutting the highs, and you lose too much of the lows with them. What I actually ended up doing was getting the comfy pads and putting the bowl pads on TOP of the comfys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow...and what was the verdict??

Aug 31, 2002 at 10:48 AM Post #15 of 17
those aren't the real comfy pads
the ones from radioshak are like putting on skin on the grados

so that isn't the verdict!

the grado ones are acctuality quite a bit thicker than the rat shak ones
and we suggest that you do the reverse mod
by cutting a hole on one side of them, then flipping them over
so the hole that normally goes over the earpiece
will be open allowing more detail to flow

Users who are viewing this thread