Grado SR80 Mods!? UPDATED
Jun 15, 2008 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chuwy

Head-Fier
I've been looking far and wide for a nice pair of headphones. It started off with a blurb in a magazine about how great the SR60s were. After 2 years of research, looking at IEMs, Noise Cancelling Closed Cans, and everything in between, I've finally decided to just settle for the best entry level cans I could find and slowly save up for better. I settled right back where I started; on the Grado SR60s.

And so, perhaps not even a few hours from now, I'll be on my way to purchase a pair of these extremely popular headphones which I'm aware have led many a listener through the gates of official Audiophilism.

However I am aware that in no ways are these cans perfect.

I am also aware that that problem is what modifications are for.

So, my question is this: When I am at the store today, purchasing my first step into Audiophile status, what other materials should I purchase to perform what mods on my Grados so that I can get the most out of these cans?

Gee, that was a mouthful.

UPDATE! I ended up splurging on a SR80.

There's already an opening on them, so no quarter mod, right?

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 14
First off , welcome to the head fi.

I am, as i type...listening to a pair of recabled SR60s (Canare cable, neutrik plug) with HD414 pads, quarter modded.

I bought these gems from junilipter (bad spelling) who did the recable. I cannot be more pleased with these. Quarter mode really unleashes those wonderful highes.

I also went to radio shack and bought some replacement pads (#33-379). These are pretty close to the comfies, cept they are smaller it seems. These are ok, VERY bassey for my taste...and seems the highes get smeared...however, thinking of quarter modding these also =)

Also, check out THIS SITE!!

hpim1568lv2.jpg

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 14
Loving the input. I've also checked out the Grado Mods thread but I was wondering if different mods worked better on different models, seeing as how the sound signature for the grados are all pretty different. This tape mod for bass I've been hearing about seems pretty appealing though.

btw, what exactly is quarter modding?

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 14
you put a quarter inside the pad centered, then you cut around the coin to un cover the driver.

I just did it tonight and really surprised how much different the sound is. Its brighter, the bass has less carry but more snap...much more detail. Guitar strings sound lovely.

Kinda looks like this, cept this pic there are 2 pads cut

ComfiesModdedMain.jpg

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 14
Try taping the bowls with electrical tape to bring out the bass a bit more. Mine are like that.
smily_headphones1.gif
My SR325is don't need the extra bass, but I feel the SR80s benefit from it.

Enjoy your new cans, and sorry about your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif
The SR80s got me hungering for better Grados, so watch out.
smily_headphones1.gif
Those bright Grado highs and punchy in-your-face general sound are addictive.

EDIT: I like switching between the 325is and the 80s from time to time just to hear the differences in sound signature. The 80s still surprise me from time to time as I'm walking to work with them. This is straight out of an iPod, too, they sound even better out of a dedicated amp/DAC.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:

I am, as i type...listening to a pair of recabled SR60s (Canare cable, neutrik plug) with HD414 pads, quarter modded.

I bought these gems from junilipter (bad spelling) who did the recable. I cannot be more pleased with these. Quarter mode really unleashes those wonderful highes.

I also went to radio shack and bought some replacement pads (#33-379). These are pretty close to the comfies, cept they are smaller it seems. These are ok, VERY bassey for my taste...and seems the highes get smeared...however, thinking of quarter modding these also =)

hpim1568lv2.jpg

anyone know what type of cord that is that is white and blue, the twisted together looking one?  ive been looking for a similar one to that for a while, i dont care for the fat part at the adapter end, i would love to mod an sr80 with just a wire like that :\

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Quote:

hpim1568lv2.jpg

anyone know what type of cord that is that is white and blue, the twisted together looking one?  ive been looking for a similar one to that for a while, i dont care for the fat part at the adapter end, i would love to mod an sr80 with just a wire like that :\

That's Canare Star Quad cable, it comes with 4 wires plus shielding around it. The shielding is braided and completely covers the cable (under the sleeve, orange in this case). There are also strands of cotton that are twisted along with the four white and blue wires.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 14
Check the sr60 mod thread, more then enough info on there to keep you going for long time, but better still just enjoy your cans and do the mods bit by bit.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 14
Canare L4E5C and L4E6S have blue and white cables
Mogami 2534 also has blue and white
Mogami 2893 has blue, white, red and black

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 14
New to the audio scene I am going to buy some new headphones or cans if you will here in the next month or so, they will probably end up being a Christmas present from my wife. Now I really like to have great quality in anything that I buy and I like to mod stuff so when I found the Grado SR60i and SR80i when browsing around the web I knew they were the ones. I have been buzzing around this site for a few days and wanted to know what size plug was used in that re wire mod and if it can accept an adapter to plug into an iPad cause it looks like it goes plugged into an amplifier or something. Also what exact plug is it an wiring dies anyone have part numbers?

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 14
anyone know where to score grado drivers....maybe I can contact grado and ask if I can buy two of every driver up to the 325is, I have a dream. I want ot make Grado Speakers!!!!, I use my RS2's as "speakers" from time to time and the handle high volumes very very well without distorting or rupturing the driver, so I want to know how well a fiver driver bookshelf speaker X2 would sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back