Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Aug 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #286 of 538
Well got the SR80i's a couple of days ago and they are fantastic! I did the quarter mod to the comfies and took out the cloth piece. So what are the best pads to buy for the SR80i's I want comfy and bigger soundstage. First thought was the bowls. But somebody said they didnt work well with the lower end Grado's. But then the first post of this thread says they do 
confused.gif
. What pad to get?

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #287 of 538
Quote:
Well got the SR80i's a couple of days ago and they are fantastic! I did the quarter mod to the comfies and took out the cloth piece. So what are the best pads to buy for the SR80i's I want comfy and bigger soundstage. First thought was the bowls. But somebody said they didnt work well with the lower end Grado's. But then the first post of this thread says they do 
confused.gif
. What pad to get?

I like the bowls (L-cush, not the jumbos) on the SR60 and SR80. They help open up the soundstage a little wider (although they still maintain the famous Grado intimacy), and I personally find them more comfortable.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #288 of 538
For what its worth I have only had my SR80i for a little over a week. At the time of purchase I got the L-Cush pads with them as a recommendation from the store. I have been bouncing back and forth between the 2 and I like the L-Cush better. Everything just seems to be more clear to me using them. I dont find either of them uncomfortable at all. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #289 of 538
Doesnt mean to hijack this thread.

Does wooden cups really help in the sound signature of sr80i. I they are, can somebody point me with some contacts. I dont want to spend huge like 300$ for the cups.

I ordered sr80i with L cups. I am all excited. Will be receiving them tomorrow.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #290 of 538
Quote:
Doesnt mean to hijack this thread.

Does wooden cups really help in the sound signature of sr80i. I they are, can somebody point me with some contacts. I dont want to spend huge like 300$ for the cups.

I ordered sr80i with L cups. I am all excited. Will be receiving them tomorrow.

A good place to look is Headphonelounge. They do not promise anything beyond an aesthetic upgrade, but I have seen a post or two here and there swearing that it makes a difference. Haven't installed mine yet, but I have a pair of the Vintage waiting in the wings as soon as I get tired of my 225i in their standard Grado cups.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #291 of 538
Okay, I've got a big question for all my fellow Grado SR80 and 80i owners --

Are Grados truly lousy for Classical Music?

It must have some validity being it's a frequent criticism.  Yet, I fail to see (or rather hear) the actual problems.  Of course I don't have super-super-high-end cans to compare to my Grados, so maybe I really am missing out on something vital?

Are all Grado-lovers only Rock-lovers???

Would love to hear from the Classical Music folks.  Thanks!!!

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #292 of 538
Mate, I can't speak for the sr80 but I use my Ms1i's with just about every music genre and I really enjoy the sound these phones can put out!!

When I first got them I tried rock and yes they are brillant but they can still sound fantastic with other genre. Nothing better than getting home from work and chilling out to some chillstep or ambient electronica with my MS1's!

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #293 of 538
hi, i've since two days a pair of grado sr80i and my only sources are a laptop and a sansa clip zip. i'm intersted to add a dac/ampli with a budget of 220€/290$ and i've considered a hifimediy dac http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83 to connect with an adapter/cable jack to rca to an amp littledoti+  http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=819&sid=72e08e05cfd8e0589876debda5c22597

what do you think about these two products, can they work well together? shall i consider an integrated solution like microstreamer hrt, hiface dac ecc....or are better two separated components? thanks in advance for your tips

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #295 of 538
thats a steal!

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #296 of 538
Great haul!

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #297 of 538
If you own the headphone, trust your own ears for determining if it is appropriate for your preferred genre.  Your opinion is the only one that counts.  If you do not have the headphones to listen to, then asking for other opinions makes sense

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #298 of 538
Thanks guys. Plan is some L or G cushions and single sided removable cable mod.

Are the G cushions worth double the price on the Ls?

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #299 of 538
Just picked up a pair of these second hand to see what all the fuss is about, first impressions made me laugh, they could not have made them look any more cheap and flimsy but so far i am liking the sound, i guess they put the money where it matters most.

I have only one issue with them preventing me from retiring my 15 year old JVC's from daily use is that they are so god damn uncomfortable after a few hours listening.  They have the large "comfy" pads as you call them but the pain is just too much. Are the other varieties of pads more comfortable for prolonged use?

Cheers,

Mark

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #300 of 538
Quote:
Just picked up a pair of these second hand to see what all the fuss is about, first impressions made me laugh, they could not have made them look any more cheap and flimsy but so far i am liking the sound, i guess they put the money where it matters most.

I have only one issue with them preventing me from retiring my 15 year old JVC's from daily use is that they are so god damn uncomfortable after a few hours listening.  They have the large "comfy" pads as you call them but the pain is just too much. Are the other varieties of pads more comfortable for prolonged use?

Cheers,

Mark

Congratulations on your 80's, they are awesome headphones. I think by "comfy" you are referring to (S) cushions, which are stock on the 80i's. Sorry you don't find these so comfortable, most people think they are comfortable , besides the (G) cushions which are stock on the GS/PS1000 models. I use the (L) cushions on both my 80's and 325's, and to me are the best sounding cushions from Grado, and a lot of people find these uncomfortable also, but I have no issues with them at all. By far the (G) cushions are the most comfortable being they are circum-aural (around the ear) , I tried them but didn't like them at all with my headphones. So if you want the most comfort, try them and see what you think, but I highly recommend the (L) cushions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back