Grado sr80 buzzing
Mar 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Munky

New Head-Fier
Got grado sr80's about a year ago. My first real headphones, and they were great. For awhile.

Theres a buzzing on my left cup at certain low and mid frequencys. I know this happens sometimes when hair touches the driver, usually remedied by taking them off, and putting them on again. But its still buzzing. I couldnt possibly have blown them because I dont have an amp, and just use my computer which has never even been near full. I'm pretty sure the warranty has recently expired, and shipping costs would be a pain anyways. Any ideas of whats wrong here?

should i just open it up and see if anything is touching the driver? (and how do i do this)

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 22
Sounds like the Grattle, you should just gently suck on the underside of the ear cup. This usually remedies it.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 22
Hmm, funny it always happen on the left side. My Alessandro MS1 also has the grattle in the left side too..

The instructions supplied at headwize aren't so clear on how to remove the said transducer/driver from the housing. I've opened up the MS1 (blowdryer to the side works best, don't tamper the housing with screwdrivers and spoon), but I couldn't figure out how to remove the transducer. Seems like its glued on pretty tight, along with the little bumps, taking the transducer off will be a PITA.
frown.gif

How I wish there's a pictorial on how to remove the drivers.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 22
hmm... I have a similiar problem with my SR60's. They are fairly new, 2 weeks old I believe. They've had over 40-60 hours of Burn in time. I did notice that for very low frequencies indeed! can someone give tips on how to get rid of it!? is it a common issue?

PS. For me it happens on the RIGHT side. and it's like a very subtle (until you notice it) buzzing.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 22
Munky: I sucked on my cans too. It didn't feel right, man. Did not feel right.

that fact that it didn't work did not help either.

I can't look my roommate in the eye anymore.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 22
I recall reading about someone saying it was a a hair type of deal, and they opened it up and removed it... how the heck would a hair get in there?

I cannot part with these for weeks! I'm not going back to the slammer, man. No way am I going back.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by odalanizi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Munky: I sucked on my cans too. It didn't feel right, man. Did not feel right.

that fact that it didn't work did not help either.

I can't look my roommate in the eye anymore.

Funniest post I think I have ever seen on here....ever.
atsmile.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

I recall reading about someone saying it was a a hair type of deal, and they opened it up and removed it... how the heck would a hair get in there?

I cannot part with these for weeks! I'm not going back to the slammer, man. No way am I going back.

Well, we do lose some hair everyday, it's not odd to have a piece stuck in the foam pad then make it's way into the driver through the stupid mesh.

Why wouldn't anybody even document this? It seems like a surgery. Surprised that nobody took pictures, at all.
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 22
While you guys send your cans back in, its your chance to experiment and get something new and stimulate the economy. On another note, I haven't had this problem with my SR80's but tonight rediscovered my ATH-A700's when I hooked them to my LDM+. So, if this "Grattle" happens to me and I have to mail my Grados back, I have an alternative source of pleasure in addition to the Ultrasones I just ordered that are on the way. Anyway, best of luck and let us know what happens.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

How can I stimulate the economy when no one is stimulating my wallet? It's a two-way street, my friend.

Uncle Sam come up short in his refund this year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back