Grado SR60s shorted out
Dec 31, 2004 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MBQuartCamry

New Head-Fier
This has happened to every headphone i have ever owned. They short out at the plug. When you wiggle the plug they will sound fine but soon after one channel will go out. Is there a way to re wire them?

Dec 31, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MBQuartCamry
This has happened to every headphone i have ever owned. They short out at the plug. When you wiggle the plug they will sound fine but soon after one channel will go out. Is there a way to re wire them?

It's your amp/source.

My old receiver will have the right channel die on me with every headphone I use - consequently, if I wiggle it while inside the jack, it's back to normal.

Try runnning it through an alternate source, you may be surprised
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 12
when that's happened to me in the past, it's because of the jack getting old and busted, not the headphone. do your cans short out no matter what you plug them into?

if it's just the left or right side, it could have shorted in the enclosure, because that's what happened to my 225's.

Dec 31, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
My old receiver will have the right channel die on me with every headphone I use - consequently, if I wiggle it while inside the jack, it's back to normal.

Probably a dirty connector or loose cable on right channel's 'tip' inside receiver jack. If it's only dirty, some contact spray will fix it.

Dec 31, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
It's your amp/source.

Try runnning it through an alternate source, you may be surprised
smily_headphones1.gif

it sounds like his problem is a short in the plug of the headphones.

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
it sounds like his problem is a short in the plug of the headphones.

If that happens to every headphone he's ever owned using same amp then I would first look into the connectors / jacks inside. Unless it's alternating L-R or similar result with another amp.

Jan 1, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 12
The problem lies within the plug. Is it difficult to reterminate the plug on there or would i lose quality. If this is not an easy fix im considering buying a pair of audiotechnica A500s.

Thanks for all the replies

Jan 1, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 12
Its not very hard to reterminate if you are familiar with DIY. Just strip, then solder the correct wires to the terminals on the plug. You can get nice plugs for cheap that won't degrade SQ (most likely improve slightly) at all. If you can't do it, you can ask someone on the forums.

Jan 2, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MBQuartCamry
Is it difficult to reterminate the plug on there or would i lose quality.

Like Null said, very easy to do - if you're not familiar with soldering, one of your friends can help - and you will improve its contact quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back